Building Units on a steap corner block

Howdy there,

I was looking at a corner block that unfortunately is quite steep, looking at it briefly it looks like it goes up around 45 degrees. Houses in the street are built with steep drive ways. My question is that this block is on a corner, would it be viable to build two units on it (as one would face one street with an up-hill driveway, while other would have an other street frontage built again on a side angle)? and if so would the building costs be much higher? (I would suspect the costs would be greater, but was after anyone else's experiences or knowledge of such a situation)

More info, was looking for two double story town houses & block is in a good suburb of Melbourne...

Thanx again,

Manny

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

If you are going to tackle that sort of land I feel you need experience ; & $$$$$$ .

It can be hard to get builders interested in blocks that are difficult.

Further to this there can be problems with Geo-tech for footings and slab designs etc.

As well the retaining walls, drainage, driveway problems and other requirements can cost an arm and a leg.

I usually will not touch any blocks that are to slopey for these reasons.

As well the finished product can be harder to sell.

However I feel certain that other developers on this forum that have built on steep blocks in good areas and done alright.

I don't need the hassles that can go along with such.

Just my opinion.

Gee Cee

Reply: 2

Hi There,

I could probably offer some advice. I am a structural engineer so hopefully that qualifies me to give advice.

With a very steep block like that you would need to consider having a place built with garages on the bottom level and the living areas above. If its a multi-storey building with multiple dwellings then it sounds like you would need a significant concrete structure to make it work on this block of land.

As soon as you start building reinforced concrete retaining walls then you are talking big $$$$. You need to get a qualified structural engineer to design and certify. You would need a builder that is certified to do reinforced concrete, formwork and multi storey developments. All this just adds to the cost. You need to consider sub-soil drainage for retaining walls and a lot of other stuff.

If you want to talk more send some mail to [email protected]

Cheers

DR

Reply: 2.1

Just knew I was engineering material.!!!!!!

Unfortunately had to learn it more from looking to do it.
Gee Cee

Reply: 2.1.1

Hi DR & GeeGee,

thank you for the responses/valuable information... I think I have been put off this block, as I was kind of scared tackling it in the first place (as I have only built on level blocks before)...

Thanx once again,

Manny.

Back