Bunnings or Ikea Kitchen?

Which would people choose for an ultra budget and cheapo kitchen reno for an IP in a fairly low soci-economic area?

Ive been doing some numbers but the ikea website is a pain to use

or would it be cheaper buying display or even 2nd hand on ebay, provided you can transport it

Which would people choose for an ultra budget and cheapo kitchen reno for an IP in a fairly low soci-economic area?

Ive been doing some numbers but the ikea website is a pain to use

or would it be cheaper buying display or even 2nd hand on ebay, provided you can transport it

Do you need a whole new kitchen? Can you add some new doors, fancy handles, sink, mixer and splash back to the existing? If the original carcass is in good condition then it can be a good/affordable option.

Cheers

Jamie

I agree with Aki - Bunning and Ikea are not cheap kitchens, and fairly restrictive in what size carcasses you can get.

I bought my last one from Mr Ply and Wood ... huge range of carcasses, better finish and cheaper than Bunnings.

thanks everyone,

after spending a bit of time on the phone, ive managed to find this

http://www.bunnings.com.au/products...kitchen&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

$749 for an entire kitchen minus tap, appliances, installation,

seems like a true bargain? or am I missing a cruicial point

Its a rubbish quality kitchen that will last a year with tenants.

Its made out of that cheap white melamine like those white broom cupboards. The doors and shelves have stick on edging and not pvc edging. Benchtop is very cheap, no rolled edges.

They have them on display. Go and take a look. After about 30 secs you will write it off.

Hi,

We put a Bunnings kitchen in a granny flat, no time to shop around because father in law was in desperate need of our care. I am not happy with it. We chose white. After three years some of the doors and drawers have gone yellow, others have not. It looks messy! We took our time to shop for a new kitchen for ourselves. Much better and cheaper! I would never recommend the Bunnings kitchens.

I put a bunnings kitchen (gloss white) in an ip in 2005. I installed it myself and ordered the benchtops from elsewhere. Benchtops are definetely not diy unless they are very simple layout. The kitchen still looks great now btw.

i use a supply and cut place who do flat packs. I haven't done a full write up but carcus costs are comparable and the extras like handles etc.. are cheaper. On top of that they do benchtops cut & routered to order and i order 2mm PVC edge on the doors rather than iron on.

The cost of the cabinets are not the only expense, i would add up trades, waste disposal, time spent installing (if not using a trade), bench, tiles and any floor rectification required.

If anyone in melbourne is looking for supply i can't recommend allboards enough, i always go to the bayswater showroom even though its a nice solid 50 minutes each way now.

Hi All, first time poster here
My partner installed a Bunnings flat pak kitchen in his IP and it has been there just over a year. The tenants have just moved out and they were great tenants, very clean and looked after the place. After they moved out we went to do an inspection on the place were amazed to see that some of the kitchen doors have yellowed quite noticeably, the kitchen which was all antique white doors now has random yellow doors, it looks quite odd. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why, the yellowed doors are not in direct sunlight nor are they doors that are exposed to heat. It is not through using the wrong cleaning products either, as they don't have yellow patches, the whole door has turned yellow. Can only assume it is the quality of the doors and they are not cheap, I'd spend my money elsewhere.

I have done a number of kitchen renos.

A wise interior designer told me that out of Bunnings and Ikea kitchens always go the Ikea.
We have just done a full reno on a house and have used the Ikea kitchen apart from a few trips from Canberra to Sydney to fix up some ordering mistakes are very happy with it. I cannot say anything about fading/yellowing of the kitchen as we haven't had it that long

Another option we have used is auction houses. My father in law brought a kitchen fully built with granite benchtops and island that matched our kitchen measurements for under $3000. All that was required was a drive to the gold coast to pick it up.

well, today I had a look at the Bunnings $750 kitchen, I havent had a look at the ikea one, yet however, I found the bunnings one to be a a little on the cheap side, the one on display had a black benchtop, if they could offer a limestone design shiny top it would be far better? or can you buy it separately,

also the new problem Im facing is that my kitchen that Im looking at installing it into, is a L-Shaped kitchen, I assumed that since its flat packed, you could just install the bits individually and lay them out to suit your design, however, the Bunnings guy said, its gotta be straight, and if you custom build a kitchen eve nthe cheapest one is like $3000,

How would you guys recommend doing this Lshaped kitchen, unfortunately/fortunateyle, the sink is right beneath the window, where the sink is almost in the corner of the bend of the "L" shape, and probably extending almost 2m after the bend, so im not sure even if a $749 straight line kitchen is even going to fit/work

I'd forget the straight line kitchen, looks cheap and nasty. Check out eBay, I bought a white high gloss kitchen that had four base cabinets with double doors one of which was a corner one, one four drawer unit, three over head cupboards and two pantries complete with stainless steel appliances for $750.

I was surprised I was the only bidder but as they listed it as a "kitchenette" I don't think it came up when people searched for "kitchen" It had definitely more cupboards than a kitchenette but it was a second kitchen they had installed in a house a few years ago.

There are bargains to be had if you are patient. I chucked the benchtops and purchased a brand new one, 35mm thick. There was a local kitchen place clearing out benchtops (old colours) on eBay which I got for $100. For a small fee, they cut it for me as well. Ther has been a bit of reconfiguring to get it to work but I have lots units to play with!

Get what you pay for

Not only do you get what you pay for... you can get what you ask for too! After visiting Bunnings we went to a high quality kitchen supplier and said we want a cheap jack kitchen for units, but we want it to be better than the bunnings stuff.
For about the same dollars we are getting a kitchen - customised to our exact layout (built to measure) - fully supplied & installed.
Dollars worked out roughly the same - except now if there is a problem with install it won't be our problem :)

For the record, I think products used were polytek & and Egger (?) for the benchtop. Yes they are cheap. Yes they are not as nice as stone tops and exxy cabinetry. But it will do the job, and will be professionally installed by a local tradie that we know & trust.

can you tell me how much you paid for it???

im going to have a look at the mitre10 $1000 kitchen but fear thats a straight line one as well, since the IP im considering is a L shaped

My dad owns a very small Mitre10 in southern Adelaide and has a small kitchen with various finishes on display (cupboards, bench and draws).

I'm sure other stores have a similar display.

Not sure if you have checked but there are some decent kitchens for really cheap on eBay. Just means you need to make sure you have your dimensions correct.

Back