Burgeroff.org - McDonalds Tecoma

Not sure who's been following this from here, however right now there is a huge situation on in the small 2000 population Dandenong Ranges gateway suburb of Tecoma.

Background - http://www.burgeroff.org/
Great videos here - http://www.burgeroff.org/media/video/

Recent updates - https://www.facebook.com/pages/NO-McDonalds-in-The-Dandenong-Ranges/220419864641673?fref=ts

In short, the development was massively rejected by the local community and council, however was overturned in VCAT. Two years of peaceful protesting, including an 'up to 4000' strong protest March last Sunday has climaxed with 50x armed police moving in yesterday morning to allow demolition crews in.

Personally, I'm with the residents of Tecoma, and believe the 24/7 development to be inappropriate, especially considering it's opposite the Pre School and viewable from the Primary School. It's also in an area where people live to get away from this kind of stuff. I've lived in America, and I have seen what WalMarts + Maccas et al do to little towns... it's sad, and scary.

I'd imagine a lot here on this forum would be all 'as long as it's legal, let the market be the judge', etc.

Would love to hear peoples thoughts.

It complies with the relevant controls. Let the market be the judge.

If parents are unable to control eating habits of children then that is not the fault of a food provider.

Sorry. Simple facts.

Community opposition should be one factor in deciding planning matters. Not the only matter.

If parents are unable to control eating habits of children then that is not the fault of a food provider.

I think it's more complicated that that... it seems parents are obviously no match for the industries best child psychologists, marketeers and toy designers who work for McDonalds, given our high childhood obesity rates.

Also - are the controls working when there is so much litter around?

This is to be 1km from a National Park. Apparently 25% of the rubbish in the nearby forest is McDonalds related, and that's from the one 5kms down the road in FTG.

I suspect the locals would think that the controls do not work, and the system is flawed.

Until the locals want to build a two storey house, and suddenly all the neighbours are up in arms because they want a two storey house but don't have one ;)

Everyone loves opposing a development. Until they want to do one, and then suddenly the community group they were involved in turn on them.

And where does the 25% figure come from?

I think it's more complicated that that... it seems parents are obviously no match for the industries best child psychologists, marketeers and toy designers who work for McDonalds, given our high childhood obesity rates.

Are parents can't say no anymore.

Funnily enough, parents who are friends of mine live in inner city areas, surrounded by fast food options, have pretty healthy children. Probably because they walk or ride everywhere rather than being chauffeured around everywhere.

i agree with Ideo. People who live in these outer suburbs are much more likely to be obese, regardless of whether there is a McDonalds there or not. The contribution of fast food to the obesity epidemic is heavily overstated - inactivity caused by suburban sprawl is the main culprit.

They've lost this one.

But this could hopefully turn into something much bigger.

I think most people have had a gutful (see what I did there?) of the pervasive influence of fast and packaged food companies in our society. It clearly isn't good for anyone. From fast food chains to the dominance of Coca Cola Amatil.

But asking for government regulation to provide the solution is like asking for a cure that is worse than the disease.

What is needed is a consumer strike brought on by a sustained, grassroots campaign for us all to Not Buy This C$#&. Support healthy choices and local independent food shops instead.

I would love to see this movement grow to be used as a much wider base for a sustained attack on the revenue line of these industries. Social media provides a platform for this to become possible where previously it was far more difficult. People Power - so who wants to be first to have a go? :)

inactivity caused by suburban sprawl is the main culprit.

Just because statistics show there is more obesity in the outer suburbs doesn't mean it's because of inactivity caused by urban sprawl.

People in the suburbs generally have a lot more room to move in. Outer suburbs with different demographics can vary heaps too even though they share the 'urban sprawl' factor.

Could it be parenting that is the main issue - lazy v motivated, different priorities, social problems, etc.

These people could move to the city - if they could afford it - and nothing would change.

Applies to where you dump your rubbish as well - people/kids who dump fast food wrappers are going to dump any other rubbish too if parents have done a poor job at teaching respect for ones environment.

I also agree with Ideo... again :eek:.

Just because statistics show there is more obesity in the outer suburbs doesn't mean it's because of inactivity caused by urban sprawl.

People in the suburbs generally have a lot more room to move in. Outer suburbs with different demographics can vary heaps too even though they share the 'urban sprawl' factor.

Could it be parenting that is the main issue - lazy v motivated, different priorities, social problems, etc.

These people could move to the city - if they could afford it - and nothing would change.

I'm not sure that's true. Obesity has massively increased over the last 20 odd years - around the same time we've had the biggest expansion of the urban growth boundaries in most Australian cities. "Room to move" is irrelevant - there needs to be an incentive to do so. These suburbs are very spread out meaning walking is not very palatable (often the newer suburbs don't even have footpaths) and you need to drive to go anywhere. The outer suburbs are also very time-consuming - the time spent on commuting is time that can't be spent on other tasks from proper meal preparation to physical activity. In addition, suburban sprawl is linked to a whole host of other social, health and economic problems.

I think there are enough studies around to show the biggest connection to obesity and poor health is poverty/low income - not necessarily as a result of it either.

My point about demographics.

I might add too that not all people in the suburbs share that demographic while people in some cities who do show similar outcomes.

I'm not sure that's true. Obesity has massively increased over the last 20 odd years - around the same time we've had the biggest expansion of the urban growth boundaries in most Australian cities. "Room to move" is irrelevant - there needs to be an incentive to do so. These suburbs are very spread out meaning walking is not very palatable (often the newer suburbs don't even have footpaths) and you need to drive to go anywhere. The outer suburbs are also very time-consuming - the time spent on commuting is time that can't be spent on other tasks from proper meal preparation to physical activity. In addition, suburban sprawl is linked to a whole host of other social, health and economic problems.

I'd agree that inner city dwellers appear to be slimmer. But do people take age into consideration? Most inner city residents are probably a lot younger. No kids. Living in small apartments. Lets face it, just about the only housing is small apartments. So they hitch up, get married, move out to the suburbs to a house with some grass, have 2.6 kids, put on weight as you do. And we end up with people that are heavier. I'm 46. I'd be 25 kilos heavier than when I was 20. I'm not proud of that, but it's what happens when you age.

Suburban sprawl? Most people work in services these days. Services should be built where the people are. So if people are living away from the CBD, then that's where the schools, hospitals, shops, offices and everything else should be.

See ya's.

Protest by economically boycotting them.

In the 90's I saw their director, (Peter Ritchie I think his name was) on the late news on ABC saying there should be no youth wage minimum as the youth of Australia were smart enough to negotiate their own wage. A 16 y.o negotiating a minimum salary. LOL.

Disgusted with this shameless greed (I'm sure Maccas would not have dropped burger prices with the money saved) I have chosen to boycott Maccas ever since then and I have never taken my kids there (with 1 exception 4 years ago).

No money in it and they will close.

Does anyone know how that Woolies is going up at Maleny?

If every one of those protesters does not, and never has, eaten Maccas, etc then they have a valid gripe.

Otherwise, to simply protest about having a Maccas in their area is just another NIMBY.

They had their chance and VCAT overruled.

Too bad, so sad and move on.

I'm with them on the whole idea of preserving the Tecoma they currently enjoy; a bit alterative, rustic, Bohemian, Green - and so on, but the world is spreading out to meet it, and the world has changed.

The days of retreating from mainstream Australia to a cosy little township are disappearing - unless you want to move further out into the Outback.

i was just making that point with hubby when I watched the Maccas story on TV. It reminded me of the Maleny Woolies.

They whinged and bitched about it, but in the end , it got built, and they have not boycotted it. They are happy to work there and shop there. I am sure there are a few die hards that will never set foot in the place.

Wollies, Maccas etc dont build these things on a whim, they know that the store will be used. (because parents have not got the guts to say NO to their kids anymore)

As for blaming Maccas for rubbish in the park....thats rubbish.. If the people walking in the park are dropping their rubbish how on gods green earth is the the stores fault? Here the council found the parks along the beaches cleaned up remarkably when some clever person decided to actually provide bins :)

From a property point of view, what is happening in this area that Maccas is building there with another one 5kms or so down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

In the 90's I saw their director, (Peter Ritchie I think his name was) on the late news on ABC saying there should be no youth wage minimum as the youth of Australia were smart enough to negotiate their own wage. A 16 y.o negotiating a minimum salary. LOL.

Disgusted with this shameless greed (I'm sure Maccas would not have dropped burger prices with the money saved) I have chosen to boycott Maccas ever since then and I have never taken my kids there (with 1 exception 4 years ago).

No money in it and they will close.

So how many kids have you given a job, a start in life, the means to improve their education, self confidence, given a work ethic , the sense of achievement and sastisfaction from that. Suppose you would rather have them running around the streets getting boar, getting into trouble and staring at little flat boxes. If the kids want to work why not?? If trhey are not happy with the wage no-body forces them to work. I think you the greedy one only considering money you can get much more out of an occupation than just money. Feel sad for your kids and the snoby attitude and values being instilled in them.

Living on a busy rural road I can attest to that - Maccas wrappers and beer bottles seem to be what I pick up most
That's not Maccas fault - it's the pigs who call themselves humans at fault there.

Don't get me started on smokers and their cigarette butts.

I played golf last week, and on one tee there were 2 coffee cups in the sand pit (to fill up buckets for filling divots).

The bin was 1metre from the sand pit.

My son had a brief stint where he wanted to go to the local skate park down in Rosebud...he came to his senses, thankfully.

Every time we went there, it was coated in empty coke bottles, KFC, Maccas and so on...and there are bins right on the edge of the skate surface.

I mean; FFS.

That's not Maccas fault - it's the pigs who call themselves humans at fault there.

Don't get me started on smokers and their cigarette butts.

I played golf last week, and on one tee there were 2 coffee cups in the sand pit (to fill up buckets for filling divots).

The bin was 1metre from the sand pit.

My son had a brief stint where he wanted to go to the local skate park down in Rosebud...he came to his senses, thankfully.

Every time we went there, it was coated in empty coke bottles, KFC, Maccas and so on...and there are bins right on the edge of the skate surface.

I mean; FFS.

Yep. Agree 100%

It is not the fault of the provider. It is the fault of the user.

My favourite coffee place provides compostable bags for the beans if you buy them, and recyclable cups. But you still have idiots just throwing them in the street even though there are bins nearby. A small minority of people are generally disgusting.

So how many kids have you given a job,(currently 2) a start in life, the means to improve their education, self confidence, given a work ethic , the sense of achievement and sastisfaction from that. Suppose you would rather have them running around the streets getting boar(pig hunting?), getting into trouble and staring at little flat boxes(Pizza Hut have a far superior environmental and social conscience. If the kids want to work why not?? If trhey are not happy with the wage no-body forces them to work. I think you the greedy one only considering money you can get much more out of an occupation than just money.given the amount of freebie work I do I feel you are mistaken but you are entitled to you opinion Feel sad for your kids and the snoby attitude and values being instilled in them.

No snobs in my household.

Your conclusions don't necessarily follow from my post.
As an employer I like to treat my staff with respect. They are not there for my utilization- they are people too.
You believe , it would seem that no minimum wage should apply- let the kids make there own deals. Given that many of the workers are 15-17 y olds I believe these corporations will exploit the same. In the same way I have chosen not to eat at Maccas people can make the same choice about working there.

Although I'm not a local, I've been following this story a fair bit in the press & on the talkback radio (nearly daily coverage) and it seems to me that there are plenty of locals that are actually Pro-Macca's in Tecoma.

Check out a bit of the history behind the story here =>
http://www.tooraktimes.com.au/entry.php/386-McDonalds-in-Tecoma

There is also a large Yes to Tecoma McDonalds FB page=>
https://www.facebook.com/YesToTecomaMcDonalds

It appears they've set up a Pro Macca's "protest against the protesters" for this arvo on the FB page.

Hmmm.....I wonder what the "silent majority" are thinking?

Back