Burgeroff.org - McDonalds Tecoma

I totally agree - and don't understand litter-ers - but no one was blaming Maccas - just stating the percentage of litter with their logo on it
This is totally politically incorrect, a generalisation based on observation, and I'll get slammed for it...

It's a demographic thing.

The higher end folk are less likely to eat Maccas (in any sort of quantity), and are less likely to be pigs....

Work out the rest.

They had their chance and VCAT overruled.

Too bad, so sad and move on.

I'm with them on the whole idea of preserving the Tecoma they currently enjoy; a bit alterative, rustic, Bohemian, Green - and so on, but the world is spreading out to meet it, and the world has changed.

The days of retreating from mainstream Australia to a cosy little township are disappearing - unless you want to move further out into the Outback.

Isn't it a failure of the system when the community and the democratically elected local council votes no, yet the 'appointed' VCAT bureaucrats can overrule them (and it's too hot a topic for any state level politicians to get involved)?

Aren't our politicians and police supposed to represent and protect our people and our communities?

It seems in this case they are more for the interests of big US corporations.

BayView you traveled to (and loathed) LA, is that how you see Australia inevitably becoming? 'Progress'?

Isn't it a failure of the system when the community and the democratically elected local council votes no, yet the 'appointed' VCAT bureaucrats can overrule them?

No, it is not a failure of the system. If we let local councils have the final say in everything, we will not have anything being built. No apartments, no townhouses, just single blocks. Is that good for addressing the housing shortage? Same thing applies here for a commercial development.

Aren't our politicians and police supposed to represent and protect our people and our communities?

They are - it's called the State Government. Councils have power that is delegated to them by the States - so the State is the ultimate arbiter of what can/can't be done, and this is how it should be done.

Why? Because the US corporation creates jobs and local employment? McDonalds went through the proper legal channels, and got their verdict. Just as they would respect VCAT's decision if it went the other way, so should the residents respect the government decision.

BayView you traveled to (and loathed) LA, is that how you see Australia inevitably becoming? 'Progress'?

If our economic prosperity and power reaches anything like America's, what's the problem with that?

Isn't it a failure of the system when the community and the democratically elected local council votes no, yet the 'appointed' VCAT bureaucrats can overrule them (and it's too hot a topic for any state level politicians to get involved)?

No. They responded to the actual legislative environment surrounding the proposed development, rather than an emotive campaign, supported by local politicians who respond to such campaigns in a populist way, only to then shrug and blame the approval on someone else.

Personally, I'm with the residents of Tecoma, and believe the 24/7 development to be inappropriate, especially considering it's opposite the Pre School and viewable from the Primary School. It's also in an area where people live to get away from this kind of stuff. I've lived in America, and I have seen what WalMarts + Maccas et al do to little towns... it's sad, and scary.

I don't see why this is relevant, there's also a bottle shop and numerous take away shops opposite the school and a TAB just down the road but no one is protesting about those.

If our economic prosperity and power reaches anything like America's, what's the problem with that?

Look at any 'quality of life' index to see the problem with that.

Isn't quality of life what we're really after here? Richer and richer elites don't create this.

I live in the Dandenong Ranges and hate how this has divided the community.

There is the large anti-Maccas group - and I see their point of view.

There is also a vocal pro-Maccas group - and I can also see their point of view.

All are entitled to their own opinions - there are pros and cons for both sides. I have friends who feel very strongly on both sides of the argument.

What I hate to see are the protesters on both sides who are behaving appallingly.

You can be pro-Maccas without calling the anti-Maccas group a bunch of hippy (expletives) and laughing at their tears when the buildings were torn down.

You can be anti-Maccas and not threaten to get a job if the building goes ahead so you can lace the food with poison.

The whole thing makes me feel sad and a little ashamed.
:-(

Look at any 'quality of life' index to see the problem with that.

Isn't quality of life what we're really after here? Richer and richer elites don't create this.

Further to this... what does increase our quality of life?

I read a great book on this (Matthieu Ricard: Happiness) and it mentioned 6 things... 6 things I can't remember! :) Income wasn't one of them (up to a very modest level it had an effect, but above say the average wage, barely any).

It was things like health (and the health of ones children), living in a clean environment, community connectedness, hope of a bright future (being able to create a successful small business, have a voice in your community, e.g.), being paid a fair wage for a fair days work (i.e. getting penalty rates for working unsociable hours)...

I'd argue these are the exact type of things Macca's negatively impacts...

I didn't "loathe" L.A as such.

It is actually a very interesting place, and there is lots to see and do, but it's not a place where I could live a lifestyle I like....but I'm not 24 years old either.

To live exactly the way I do, in the setting where I live now - we have views, right near the beach, wineries, golf, parks etc, nice house and pool, relative isolation but proximity to life if needed, etc - to do it in L.A would mean having to be a multi-millionaire. You would need to live in areas such as Malibu, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica etc...all millionaire row areas. I can do it in my little backwater here and it is affordable for most.

I hate traffic, traffic lights, queues, lots of people - L.A is full of all that.

But there are loads of other examples of how life is there that make it less desirable and enjoyable than here...little things on a daily basis.

If you like razzamatazz, night life, and so on, then you'd like it.

What I don't like about L.A - and the USA in general (and even here) is the devolution of the human animal.

L.A is worse because it has such a large volume of humans to illustrate, and many areas which are very, very ordinary - with little spatterings of pretty nice areas.

But, having been there and knowing life here - yes; we are sadly heading the way it is there...we are all heading to the cities and vacating the rural places that used to thrive, and so on.

It's not really progress, I reckon, because in L.A - and USA in general - less and less folk are getting access to a good life that they say is freely available. The rich/poor divide is widening very quickly, and very greatly, and it doesn't take much over there to be out on the street.

Healthcare is almost unaffordable for the average folk, etc.

At least we've still got gun controls here. :rolleyes:

Good question.

Having lived there and traveled it a fair amount, I can't see how their life is better than ours.

In fact; if you compare quality of life of the average person based on population growth and wealth - they have gone backwards.

This is why I am so vocal here on the subject of limiting/decreasing immigration.

Not because I'm a racist as a number of folk here think - it's because I have seen how a large volume of humans doesn't really improve things at all for the average person.

The USA has gone backwards in lifestyle and wages for the average person.

Last edited:
In reference to ideas such as 'it's not our problem if parents can't control their whiny kids'... Just this today in the paper...

“Pester power” or “the nag factor” are the charming terms marketers use to describe a child’s special ability to wear us down. It’s part and parcel of the concept of “cradle to grave marketing” that acknowledges that the earlier you establish a brand preference, naturally the stronger the bond between consumer and brand.

And you’d be hard-pressed to find a fast-food franchise that does this better than Macca's.

According to the 2010 Flinders University study, “Targeting Children with Integrated Marketing Communications”, McDonald's has the “most sophisticated, extensive, and integrated communication strategy targeted at children…including outdoor advertising, sponsorship, menu design, store layout, visual shortcuts, characters, online promotions, interactive websites, brand associations and connections, product placement, and charities”.

From http://www.dailylife.com.au/health-...onalds-20130813-2rtbk.html?rand=1376443834571

I wonder if they read my previous post on SS? :)

I thought queueing up for the latest celebrity chef backed restaurant even though you dont know what they are serving or what its about was SAD

Probably people with too much time on their hands or their need to try the latest fast food franchise to hit australia!:D

If parents are unable to control eating habits of children then that is not the fault of a food provider.

Sorry. Simple facts.

At one point I would have said something very similar. However I now think that this is a very simplistic point of view and a bit na?ve (sorry!). Elements of the food industry push this point of view hard in order to avoid increased regulation.

Have you read Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking fast and slow"? This book had a lot to do with my changed opinion. People like to think that they make controlled rational decisions most of the time. This is not the case. I may be simplifying here and I'm sure there are others who can explain the point better than I can, but most of our decisions are not conscious or rational but to do with habit and familiarity. If we see very large portions of high fat/sugar foods everywhere we go, we are far more likely to eat them occasionally. If we start to eat them we are very likely to continue eating them. Yes we can exercise our will power not to eat unhealthy food, but as I understand it research has shown the will power is like a muscle - the more we use it the stronger it gets up to a point - but if we have to use it too many times in one day it gets weaker and less effective.

The point is that a government cannot stand back and say "we won't have a nanny state, lets have no regulation and let people make their own decisions", while the entire population gets fatter and more unhealthy. There are vast industries that apply vast resources to influence people to eat more unhealthy foods. We need to do something at government level to stop this.

Don't need to have a big mac, have a maccas salad.

No. It's not the fault of the individual that they have no self control. It's the fault of those evil companies. They follow you down the street, tackle you to the ground and force feed you.

I haven't been in a maccas for years. Or a KFC. Or any other variety of fast food outlets. I think the last time I stopped was at the Goulburn Maccas to get a coffee when I was driving to Canberra 3 years ago.

I live close to a pretty wide range of fast food outlets. Drive past all of them most days. But I also drive past panel beaters and have no desire to drive into the back of another car so I can go and visit them. Or by cheap, discounted carpet. Or any manner of things.

This would be the one that no one wants?

It made me wonder if it was a savvy marketing technique by McDonalds as I find it very hard to believe that people would actually be queuing for a McDonalds in 2014. Surely people have better things to do...

Perhaps head office staff were told to queue up at the launch to make it look like there was massive public support for the controversial store... Makes you think.

Back