Burgeroff.org - McDonalds Tecoma

This area is no "greener" than most other places in Melbourne.

Huh? Obviously you have never been to Tecoma. Green is the predominant colour in the area, it is teeming with native flora and fauna. It's the start of the Great Dividing Range, very similar to the Blue Mountains in NSW. Basically there is little green at all west of the CBD right through to SA.

When most people talk about an area being 'green' or 'hippy' (which are two different things) they're not referring to the car to household ratio. On that measure, Melb CBD, Docklands and Southbank would be our 'greenist' suburbs.

Yes, the BP does sell junk food, but you're just being difficult if you claim to not see any difference between that and a McDonalds. Most kids would stay in the car and not even enter the BP, McDonalds sells toys with the meals, etc. McDonalds contributes a far greater amount to our heart disease / obesity levels than petrol stations do.

Huh? Obviously you have never been to Tecoma. Green is the predominant colour in the area, it is teeming with native flora and fauna. It's the start of the Great Dividing Range, very similar to the Blue Mountains in NSW. Basically there is little green at all west of the CBD right through to SA.

When most people talk about an area being 'green' or 'hippy' (which are two different things) they're not referring to the car to household ratio. On that measure, Melb CBD, Docklands and Southbank would be our 'greenist' suburbs.

Yes, the BP does sell junk food, but you're just being difficult if you claim to not see any difference between that and a McDonalds. Most kids would stay in the car and not even enter the BP, McDonalds sells toys with the meals, etc. McDonalds contributes a far greater amount to our heart disease / obesity levels than petrol stations do.

Agree with you there David. It's definitely a leafy suburb. And the number of cars per household really has nothing to do with it. Id say that is more to do with the remoteness of the suburb than anything else.

So by Green you mean achingly right on, without actually doing anything that would minimise a highly privileged standard of life?

You know you don't have to take kids in McDonalds. You don't even have to set foot in it.

And I'd argue that the rise of personal transport such as cars have a much greater impact (through a sedentary lifestyle) than McDonalds. If you're walking 15kms a day then a big mac is not going to cause you to get fat.

It comes down to this. The town has an elitist view. It doesn't want poor tourists coming in to the area. It's wants other, middle class progressive types, or older, more conservative but still wealthy tourists coming through and going to tea rooms and antique shops.

A commercial use is a commercial use is a commercial use under planning. It doesn't matter what branding it has. That is a subjective matter that has no place in planning.

As for the rants about globilisation and big business and all those other things waved at the March in March protests, why don't they apply to the BP? It's part of a massive global company. The impacts from the burning of fossil fuels are huge. They campaign against renewable energy. But maybe it comes down to the simple factor that everyone needs to drive sometimes (particularly if they are so "green" they move to an area with poor public transport...) but they don't have to go to McDonalds. So they can boycott it without it actually affecting their standard of life in the slightest.

It comes down to this. The town has an elitist view. It doesn't want poor tourists coming in to the area. It's wants other, middle class progressive types, or older, more conservative but still wealthy tourists coming through and going to tea rooms and antique shops.

Tecoma, elitist? I'm not sure what local NSW example you are comparing this situation to, but Tecoma is not elitist by any stretch. The median house price is around $410k, 20% under the Melbourne median. If you were talking about 'wealthy hippies' of Fitzroy North, then I'd agree. Walk around the town and you're more likely to see a person in Ugg boots than a luxury 4WD. I honestly believe it's primarily about protecting their beautiful, clean town and taking a stand to corporate bullying.

So they can boycott it without it actually affecting their standard of life in the slightest.

I strongly disagree.

Regardless of whether they patronise the restaurant or not the fact is the McDonald's rubbish will be strewn for kilometers around the Dandenongs, the traffic in the area will be increased and kids as young as 5 will be exposed to attempts at programing their minds to eat the food their parents don't want them to eat everyday they go to school (it's basically opposite the pre-school and just a few doors up from the primary school).

Hubby and I went to Melbourne for the weekend recently - I couldnt work out why he wanted to go to Tecoma.

Hubby doesnt even eat maccas, but wanted to go out of his way to buy something there (we didnt, as I told him he was ridiculous)...and im the boss :D

I have no issue with maccas being there.

Back