Bus stop in front of property

Hi all,

I'm interested in a property that has a bus stop directly in front of it. The property has a sizeable front yard but no vehicular access - although others on the same block do. Would I be able to get a planning permit to add a driveway? Or is the presence of the bus stop going to be a shop stopper?

Check with the local council.

I was looking to buy a similar property in Brisbane a couple of years ago. Council said "No access" - though the property did have access from a laneway at the rear, so that may have had bearing on their decision.

Cheers
LynnH

Or a detriment. Rubbish left on lawn, kids fighting, cigarette butts everywhere has been our experience of a bus stop on the verge.

All of what Minx says plus ..... the NOISE, particularly if it is a bus stop used by secondary students!

Cheers
Lynn

If you talk to the council you maybe able to pay a lil bit for the access restriction strip as you do when you do a subdivision. Once you pay that fee if they will allow it you shall be able to construct a seccondary driveway.

My parents had a bus stop out the front of their house in the UK and constantly had people standing in the porch out of the rain!!! :eek:

Chris

I used to get a bus to the train station for a couple of years when working in the CBD. I used to also get a bus to high-school. Unless the bus stop is at a station or near shops I found that you'd be lucky to have more than 2-3 people waiting at a stop. As such the noise may not be an issue. It would depend on this particular stop. Maybe worth having a look at the stop during peak periods.
The issue of rubish/smoke butts could be an issue however but it can be with most houses if on a busy street/road if it has a low fence. Maybe you could look at putting a higher/solid fence up. This would also ensure more privacy from comuters and block the noise factor if any.

It would be also worth finding out what bus route it is and the operating times and the frequency of them. Buses stopping later at night may appear more audable as it's quieter then.

A bus stop would be seen as a gift should your vehicle be out of action or a wet and wooly day.

Back