Business Owners - online searches, soc media

Did a workshop the other day. Just want you to know what I know.

Google search is changing. Moving from searching strings of words to searching social media.

So it is the keywords in the content of your pages that bring you up in the ranking. (not SEO search engine optimisation)

ESSENTIAL:
Twitter - drive traffic to your site. Use #hashtags! Snappy headlines. Be a resource for knowledge in yr field, add value for clients
Google+ will be more important than FB for in coming up in searches/rankings
Fbook - drive traffic to yr site. Sep for personal/business (obviously!)
Linked in - join groups and participate

ALSO RANS;
Foursquare - location based twitter, upload pix from your conf/workshop/work in progress as it happens
Youtube channel - video testimonials are HUGE
Flickr - photos of works as they happen (signwriting/panel beating job)
RSS feeds for clients (source of knowledge)

Pre social media........ searches were keywords and backlinks
vs
post social media........ trends, timing, influence others referals

Google has also changed their algorithm AGAIN and I'm left floundering with too much traffic and not enough server, which I suppose is better than the reverse.

I've been doing a lot of on-page SEO last year, traffic absolutely vanishes over xmas and now people are back on the internet again, they're visiting my site. I don't rank higher than #5 for anything significant, I'm not sure I want to know what will happen if I suddenly start ranking at #3 or #4. Probably need to drop $500 a month on hosting or something :(

Be careful what you wish for. Too many visitors is a curse if you're not ready for it.

Need more than just traffic.

Traffic vs Conversion

PPl signing on for nletter, enquiring about services, signing up for services or asking for apptmt/samples etc.

Usual conversion rate about 7-8% (apparently)

Its an informational site that doesn't sell anything. No conversion to worry about, just that scramble to get the server to cope.

Google has also changed their algorithm AGAIN and I'm left floundering with too much traffic and not enough server, which I suppose is better than the reverse.

You suppose :)

The words of a true business person that can turn the tap on and off. That is an ideal business proposition.

ta
rolf

Keywords in the content of your site is SEO. Its called on page SEO. As opposed to backlinks, which are off page SEO.

Both wont be replaced in the near future as the primary driver of Google rankings.

So it is the keywords in the content of your pages that bring you up in the ranking. (not SEO search engine optimisation)

Google search is changing. Moving from searching strings of words to searching social media.

Sorry, but no. There is no evidence to support this whatsoever at the moment. This assumption is all based on the fact that google got into the social media space. It could be a % of what factors into rankings at some stage in the distant future but it's not at the moment.

The words of a true business person that can turn the tap on and off. That is an ideal business proposition.
Hah, Google is the one with the tap. I have a bucket, which is a bit small at the moment. Apparently they turned it up a bit high ... server software change tomorrow (when my traffic is lowest and I can actually DO stuff when I log in) and hopefully things go back to normal again.

Google controls everything. If it decides you don't get visitors, you don't get visitors. I barely get a few 1000 visitors a month from other search engines, the lion's share is from Google so they can take a site completely out in one algorithm change. Which they do fairly regularly ...

jes' putting the meme out there.

Will do more research on it, of course.

But it is something to think about for online coverage.

*adjusts dunce cap*

Probably need to drop $500 a month on hosting or something :(

Be careful what you wish for. Too many visitors is a curse if you're not ready for it.

What is your site, and what does it do?

I've programmed, managed and run a website that gets 5,000k hits a day - and I run that on a $300/year server, and its only running at 15% capacity...

Really? 5mill a day for $300 a year??? Or do you mean 5000 a day cos that's nothing and you can run that on any old server. And hits or pageviews, they are very very different.

Really? 5mill a day for $300 a year??? Or do you mean 5000 a day cos that's nothing and you can run that on any old server. And hits or pageviews, they are very very different.

lol - sorry - meant 5k.

But my point stands - unless you are running a massive webpage, you dont need much...

Define 'massive' then ... I have a small site with mediocre traffic (compared to some) and it hits near 100% cpu when one site goes over 2000 pageviews an hour. We completely redid everything yesterday so I hope it survives now.

Sounds like you are getting a lot of traffic if it overheats your CPU. If you monetising all that traffic you're crazy. People that know what they are doing (internet marketers) would kill for a huge amount of traffic. They'd be rich.

If you can't monetise it initially, then get their name email & addresses with aweber, build a big database and monetise that.

By the way, traffic isn't measured in page views, it's unique hits (visitors) that count.

Define 'massive' then ... I have a small site with mediocre traffic (compared to some) and it hits near 100% cpu when one site goes over 2000 pageviews an hour. We completely redid everything yesterday so I hope it survives now.

Internet traffic and CPU load are in lockstep. Pageviews (or hits, depending on the type of site - I have one site that gets 50 pageviews a month and 6000 hits/visitors a day). I pretty much ignore visitors, as they vary so much depending on what stats package you use. At least every stats package can agree on what a page view is. I find the ratio of pageviews:users is pretty much constant on every one of my sites, but different per site.

If you're trying to brag, you always go with hits - they're invariably higher than any other metric :D

SEO is like some kind of weirdass arcane science, from on-page to backlinking to social networking. Was reading some guy claiming to get 200 facebook likes a DAY. I can't wrap my brain around that, but the way he was getting them I can understand - slapping the user in the face with a popup saying "LIKE ME" as soon as they visit the site. Don't like it, but I can see how its effective. Thinking about putting a "like" button in a floating div myself (stuck to the bottom right or something), after reading that, since its so easy to scroll away from one in a fixed place on a site.

Just get a more powerful server and CPU usage is irrelevant, so it's not in lockstep. Google analytics is the best measure of traffic.

Re Facebook, I can (and do) receive 650 likes in one week and I could do that any and every week. But im not telling you how, I charge people for that. And it includes nothing like pop ups or stuff like that.

Internet traffic and CPU load are in lockstep. Pageviews (or hits, depending on the type of site - I have one site that gets 50 pageviews a month and 6000 hits/visitors a day). I pretty much ignore visitors, as they vary so much depending on what stats package you use. At least every stats package can agree on what a page view is. I find the ratio of pageviews:users is pretty much constant on every one of my sites, but different per site.

If you're trying to brag, you always go with hits - they're invariably higher than any other metric :D

SEO is like some kind of weirdass arcane science, from on-page to backlinking to social networking. Was reading some guy claiming to get 200 facebook likes a DAY. I can't wrap my brain around that, but the way he was getting them I can understand - slapping the user in the face with a popup saying "LIKE ME" as soon as they visit the site. Don't like it, but I can see how its effective. Thinking about putting a "like" button in a floating div myself (stuck to the bottom right or something), after reading that, since its so easy to scroll away from one in a fixed place on a site.

More powerful server comes back to $100's again .... I'm trying to avoid that at the moment :( The curse of having a personal site that doesn't earn much money. Another few 1000 pageviews a day and I can consider CPM networks at least. Almost there. Then its new server time!

Back