Buy house, renovate, subdivide and sell the block: advice please

Hi all,

We haven't started the research/D&D process as yet, but for IP3, our thought is to buy a house on a sub dividable block in Melbourne, renovate the house, subdivide, sell off the second block.

We have excellent serviceability, but not that much equity so are very keen to generate as much equity as possible over the next few years to allow us to keep purchasing.

I don't think we'd have enough cash to develop the second block, hence thinking about selling it as land only. We have also discussed the possibility of selling it with a DA.

We purchased a PPOR last year which is sitting at an LVR of about 80/20 so would like to use the proceeds from the land sale to help pay down our PPOR loan.

We would be looking to spend up to $400-500k on the purchase (plus renovation cost of up to 10% and subdivision costs), with a goal to secure a property that will generate strong capital gain, and could afford to cop a lower yield (say 4%) if it meant a higher capital gain in the near term. While we would keep the property for the long term, we need equity for deposits.

Obviously buying somewhere where there is demand for vacant blocks is important. As is the block size in relation to the types of blocks in demand in that area.

What are the must dos and potential pitfalls of this approach? What advice would you give someone starting to investigate this strategy?

I'm just starting this adventure myself. As we speak I have a draftsman working on the council approval to move the existing house across the block.

We are doing the opposite. The house is being moved, renovated and sold while we are building and keeping the new house. Our reason is GST. We won't be charged GST on the sale as it is an existing house on that block. To sell the subdivided block you are creating a new property so it is subject to GST. Just make sure u add this to your feasability.

We are using the sale proceeds (and borrowing capacity) to build the new house.

If you buy a house and subdivide it - then sell of the land you will probably be required to pay GST (currently 10%) of the sale price.
as the process of subdividing to sell off is classed as a business - not just realising the capital gain,
ways to avoid GST are to hold the land for over 5 years or sell it for under the GST threshold (currently $75k)

you really need to speak to a good accountant with development experience as the last thing you want to do is pay the tax office any more than you have to.

Sharon

I've been given rough ballparks of around 20k for sliding and raising. That doesn't include the builder costs to build steps, fix any cracking and plumbing/electrical disconnection/connection

We are doing the opposite. The house is being moved, renovated and sold while we are building and keeping the new house. Our reason is GST. We won't be charged GST on the sale as it is an existing house on that block. To sell the subdivided block you are creating a new property so it is subject to GST. Just make sure u add this to your feasability.

Cracking idea. Nice work!

I've been given rough ballparks of around 20k for sliding and raising. That doesn't include the builder costs to build steps, fix any cracking and plumbing/electrical disconnection/connection

Can you keep us posted? I'm interested in doing this too. Sounds like it's worthy of its own thread ...:)

I'm just starting this adventure myself. As we speak I have a draftsman working on the council approval to move the existing house across the block.

Forgive my newb question but are you moving it because you want the 'better' side of the land for the house? And do you still have to subdivide the land for this?

I'm moving the house cos it is sitting in the middle of the block. The DA is for the land being split right down the middle so the house is sitting on both blocks at present. Subdivision can't be registered til the new boundary is clear. The alternative would've been to demolish the house and be left with two new building blocks.

I'm moving the house cos it is sitting in the middle of the block. The DA is for the land being split right down the middle so the house is sitting on both blocks at present. Subdivision can't be registered til the new boundary is clear. The alternative would've been to demolish the house and be left with two new building blocks.

Oh ok, yeah that makes sense :)

Back