Buy in MACKAY.

The 2008 floods were a once in whatever year event. Just like the 2010 floods that struck entire Qld, it was an unheard of experience. Many of the lower suburbs were inundated, but even in those suburbs, those on the slightly higher side of the roads escaped any damage. Luckily all of my properties are always on the right side of the road. That is when local knowledge is invaluable. For those affected, insurance claims went through the roof, and the majority of properties were fully repaired. There are some areas which are a lot more 'risky" then others, but of course, there is no guarantee that an other event like this won't happen again. Just like in Brisbane, or anywhere else in Qld. Just like in South Australia and the bush fire risk.
Looking at flood risk maps, and photos on the internet, does not guarantee that you know the spots which are considered 'safer" from future disaster. I think buying in a place like Innisfail, or Ingham or even Cairns poses a lot more risk, then buying here. The media focusses on the worst areas, to sell more papers , and get more people to watch the news.Having said that,the inner city of Mackay is the lowest area and was the area worst affected. Some people on the other side of the bridge, on the northern side, and beach suburbs, didn't even know what was going on.
I guess the cyclone and flood risk is always there though, especially in these climatic upheaval days. But then again, Adelaide and Melbourne could burn this next summer as well.Sydney could have a terrorist attack, and Brisbane could go under again. Who knows. At the end of the day,people still need a roof over their head. i don't need to look at the statistics. When you live in a place for over 30 years ,you kinda know each street like the back of your hand,and when there is a disaster, all you need to do is hop in your car and take a look.

Last edited:
The 2008 floods were a once in whatever year event. Just like the 2010 floods that struck entire Qld, it was an unheard of experience. Many of the lower suburbs were inundated, but even in those suburbs, those on the slightly higher side of the roads escaped any damage.
Luckily all of my properties are always on the right side of the road. That is when local knowledge is invaluable.

If it was an unheard of experience how would local knowledge have helped?
You wouldn't know which streets may flood or not let alone which side of the street as it has never happened before.

Looking at flood risk maps, and photos on the internet, does not guarantee that you know the spots which are considered 'safer" from future disaster..
No, but it would show you which areas flood and if they do council will not let you to build anything else on them will they?

I looked at the map and it did show yours as being flooded to some degree

http://www.mackay.qld.gov.au/busine...planning_scheme/overlay_maps/flood_inundation

this photo shows your street in the top left looking wet, though it wouldn't be deep but would it ruin floor coverings and skirting s in the downstairs section?
Is that why the property had a reno?

r224476_887918.jpg

And how is the financing going?
I heard in some Brisbane and Ipswich areas, banks have done blanket bans on entire suburbs, even if only a few streets in these suburbs were flood affected.

This is how dangerous' perception' and relying on maps and photos can be. You think you know, but realy you don't. Our property DID NOT GET FLOODED.Sorry to put your knowledge to the test DC.

Still trying to figure out where this is, but see how some streets are dry? The highest flood ever, and there are dry areas clearly showing/ Our property is one of those DRY areas. It will have to be the next "once in whatever event" to inundate those properties, if ever. Local knowledge would tell you, from the ground, where the 'safer' areas are, because we could tell you where the heck we were able to drive to and where not! We can tell which houses actually went up, over the roof, and which didn't,We can tell you which properties had the water lapping at their driveway,but not inside, and which didn't. Mackay is a city, but is isn't as big as Brisbane! And after 30 years one tends to have a lot of friends and aquantances in an area, whom one speaks to in times of disaster. What are you trying to say? Don't buy in Mackay because they had a flood in 2008, and the properies are all crap?
If people said that about Emerald ( now THEY realy had problems)Rockhampton, Gympie, Bundaberg etc etc,. no one would live in Qld and we would have all moved to NSW or Vic!-God forbid:rolleyes: Yet Qld remains the fastest growing state in Oz. Go figure.
No, our properties did NOT flood, and did NOT receive renos due to flooding. Many others did. We just spent 5 years adding value,because we can, and now it is time to move them. The house in question was a standard butterbox when purchased. It was lifted, it was doubled in size, renovated and made to be functional and a pleasure to live in. People do not only do renovational work because there is a problem DC. Some people do it because it is benficial for their business.

If it was an unheard of experience how would local knowledge have helped?
You wouldn't know which streets may flood or not let alone which side of the street as it has never happened before.

------------ If you have building experience, know your AHD,I guess you would have a pretty good idea. Mackay has certain flood prone areas, mainly due to bad drainage issues, and proximity to creeks etc. One just stays away from those areas!

No, but it would show you which areas flood and if they do council will not let you to build anything else on them will they?

_ council requires certain standards to be met,and one cannot renovate and lift a house without having met those standards. I am not aware of any major residential areas where council has condemmed the area. Perhaps this only applies to the myriads of high rise developments which have been proposed? At this point I am not familiar with this issue, as I have had no reason to enquire about it, and if this is the case, it is not common knowledge. Please explain.

I looked at the map and it did show yours as being flooded to some degree

http://www.mackay.qld.gov.au/busine...planning_scheme/overlay_maps/flood_inundation

this photo shows your street in the top left looking wet, though it wouldn't be deep but would it ruin floor coverings and skirting s in the downstairs section?
Is that why the property had a reno?

r224476_887918.jpg

------------Incorrect.

And how is the financing going?
I heard in some Brisbane and Ipswich areas, banks have done blanket bans on entire suburbs, even if only a few streets in these suburbs were flood affected.

---the flooding occurred in 2008--3 years ago. The Banks and People are over it.

Last edited:
I think maybe that's Quarry Hill in the bottom part of this image with Harbour Rd going along the top LH side and Malcolmson St on the top right.
Pretty hard to pick though!

We had one house in Nth Mackay get water through the garage and granny flat/storage area - first time since the house was built (30+yrs) has any water even come anywhere near the yard. It was just an unprecedented amount of rain in a very short time. Insurance costs rose, but no talk of not being able to get a policy.

A new estate has been built behind that property now with some serious drainage/earthworks going in. Will be interesting to see what happens next time - if there is one!
Thanks again for the info.

P.S. I've worked in the mining sector, please don't tar us all with the same brush. :)

Still trying to figure out where this is,
LOL
The blue roofed places on the right are in this map link
http://goo.gl/maps/9uvq
Zoom out and imagine the map rotated 180 degrees
but see how some streets are dry?
Yes and see how some are wet?
What are you trying to say? Don't buy in Mackay because they had a flood in 2008, and the properies are all crap?
Did I say that?:rolleyes:
What I was saying or alluding to for buyers was, do your due dilligence, caveat emptor or buyer beware. (why is this not in the caveat emptor section?)
What I am saying is that for $500,000 you could possibly get an equally good house away from the flood areas of Mackay that could rent equally as well.
If people said that about Emerald ( now THEY realy had problems)Rockhampton, Gympie, Bundaberg
and I would say the same for these areas, Why pay $500k (more like $300k) for a house in or near flood when you can get one out of flood for similar money.If I was buying in or near flood, I would be wanting a discount like BV is suggesting.
And they had no worse a problem than Mackay did.
Some houses were flooded and others were not, same as Mackay.

And, my original point stands, because it is shown as flood prone on the Mackay City Council map, I would gather that there would also be restrictions, especially now, as to what can be done with the block.

Personally, I have no problem that the house did or was close to getting water in the yard.
My own ppor had water in the yard last year, but I knew about in when I purchased and it was reflected in the price compared to nearby properties that were slightly higher in price.

Anyway, good luck with the sale.

Reactions: BV
ahhhh. the Google link is what was needed! Going back to what I said previously- see how some streets are dry? The blue roofs are in Perkins street. See the main road- the road that leads to our Marina is high and dry on the top right hand corner? That is where my property is situated. a few houses back from that road.Shops on the corner. Dry, in the once in 100 year flood! You don't buy in the low areas. Anywhere.

your quote-"What I am saying is that for $500,000 you could possibly get an equally good house away from the flood areas of Mackay that could rent equally as well."
--I guess for $500000, and an Australia wide playing field anything is possible.But if you stay looking in Qld it is also very possible that you will find those kind of photo's for every area you are considering.
I challenge you to find something comparable here in Mackay.I am not sure of the rents people are paying in your neck of the woods, but for anywhere in Nth Qld those figure are pretty good, not counting the mines.:rolleyes:

If you are thinking of getting into the QLD market at any time, you are going to have a lot of fear. A bit like never going swimming because there could be a shark in the water.
As for the presumptions as to what can be done with the block. You can't do anything with the block, anyway. It is too small.lol. But there would be NO restrictions if you wanted to, and it was possible, and you had the money!

your quote-"My own ppor had water in the yard last year, but I knew about in when I purchased and it was reflected in the price compared to nearby properties that were slightly higher in price.'

--Hence there is no huge discount. My property is one of those that your cheapy was compared to.:)

With all the doom and gloom around the nation, talk of reccession and housing bubble bursting, Mackay is still a shining performer. i have included some links to give you an idea about the place;

http://www.mackay.qld.gov.au/__data.../Mackay_Population_Growth_-_Medium_Series.pdf

http://smh.domain.com.au/home-renti...-end-in-sight-for-renters-20110125-1a3ee.html

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story/2011/05/19/mackay-will-see-fair-share-bligh-infrastructure/

http://economics.hia.com.au/media/Mackay - March 2011.pdf

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-70606.html

http://www.nexthotspot.com.au/page/22_march_2011.html

I have 10 properties here and am getting rid of 3, if anyone is interested. We have been living of equity ( a strategy discussed on this forum many years ago!) and want to square it up so we can retire. You can search for my previous posts over the years, on this forum. I am sure they will still be there somewhere. I have just finished a site for my private sale at ; www.sharedproperty.infoWould love some feedback from the pro's as to if this is a good way to advertise. Cheers. Bianca

Hi Bianca,

Have gone over your site & am a bit confused. You mention that creative financing may be available. What are you referring to? Is this to be sold as a lease option/Rent to Own, Installment Contract or are you offering Deposit Help (i.e Vendor Finance)? This is just an observation that the average person may get a bit confused in terms of how you are looking to sell the property.

Whilst doing a blog is a great idea it can take time for Google to pick this up. Have you looked at other ways of advertising (pocket ads, pocket trader, online sites that don't charge a fee). I live in Mackay & have great success with the pocket ads books & online sites.

Kind Regards
Caroline Edson

Back