Buy now in Sydney or Queensland for the long term?

This is my trick - once I have done my research, sought lots of feedback, and made up my mind, I don't ask anyone for any more advice (or to seek validation, because let's face it, this is what you're really looking for). I also don't tell anyone about what I'm doing and I stop reading the paper and watching the news. Seriously. Once I've made a firm decision - based on the best information I've been able to gather at that time - I then stick with it till the end of the search-contract-settlement period. I don't tell anyone about it till I've wrapped things up.

What happens if something massive changes that should alter my decision, like WW3 or a huge financial crisis? Well, I figure news that big ought to get my attention anyway. It's important to be confident in what you're doing and stay the course...and this is how I do it, for better or for worse. Otherwise there's too much second guessing and flip flopping. If you've just done months of analysis, the last thing you want is a pessimistic know-it-all upending all your research based on a few bitter remarks. I've been through it all too much myself.

great mantra! the flip flopping wastes time! and thats the last thing you want, if things stack up they stack up

Thanks for all the responses! You've all given me something to think about and take home!

I like the advice given by jerrybee and others about taking into account various different opinions but then sticking by with your own decision after a certain point in the process!

Thanks for all the responses! You've all given me something to think about and take home!

I like the advice given by jerrybee and others about taking into account various different opinions but then sticking by with your own decision after a certain point in the process!

Yeah it's amazing how the mind works. I spend so long researching and doing what I think is a really objective analysis and then I'll see some 12 second snippet on TV from some economist talking about how GFC2 is around the corner. I know intellectually that my analysis still holds up, but it completely kills my confidence. This is why I basically shut out the world when I'm on the hunt. I become Amish.

Back