Buy now or wait for interest rates to peak?

I am ready to buy an investment, but I am thinking I should hold off until interest rates rise by 1% or more. My thinking is that the prices will go down as people hold back on the factor that repayments will up and hinder their cashflow. The flip side is that of course at the moment interest rates are very low, which means if I buy something now it will be easier to service. A question for someone who have gone through an interest rate cycle or more, when is the better time to buy something, during high interest rates when prices are depressed or now during low interest rates (which have seen prices rise)...or does this not matter at all?

Daniel

I think it depends on where you buy and what you buy.

If interest rates increase your borrowing capacity will decrease.
Also, higher interest rates don't automatically mean lower property prices.
Property prices could stagnate and creep up slowly instead.

Prices have moved a bit since the beginning of the year but not by much and not in all all areas. There are still good buys out there.
We bought our latest one 3 weeks ago and when this settles we'll try for 1 more.

Also, the first home buyers are slowly dissapearing because even if they manage to find some money for the deposit it's either not enough or they have no savings history and can't get finance.

Start looking now as it takes time. Why wait? If you see something that's good value buy it. If not keep looking until you do.
FHB are not as plentiful as a few months ago but investors are now making a comeback.

I am ready to buy an investment, but I am thinking I should hold off until interest rates rise by 1% or more. My thinking is that the prices will go down as people hold back

Daniel, if you are buying in SYD or MEL then the only advice I can offer you is that the longer you wait at the moment, the more you'll pay.
There has been anout a 4-5% rise that has happened in the last 2-3 months (that is not reflected in RP Data) yet - because there is a 2-3 month delay on data collection too.
This trend shows no sign of abating from what I've been experiencing.

When rates were 17 & 18% way back, we had just had one of the biggest RE booms at that time. IR rises don't correlate to price falls in my experience.

I am ready to buy an investment, but I am thinking I should hold off until interest rates rise by 1% or more. My thinking is that the prices will go down as people hold back on the factor that repayments will up and hinder their cashflow. The flip side is that of course at the moment interest rates are very low, which means if I buy something now it will be easier to service. A question for someone who have gone through an interest rate cycle or more, when is the better time to buy something, during high interest rates when prices are depressed or now during low interest rates (which have seen prices rise)...or does this not matter at all?

I think a lot depends on the area.
What area are you looking at??

buy now

don't try to 2nd guess the market ... i thought the sydney market would sink after the 2000 olympics ... & then it went on a 4 year run!

if you see a property that has good fundamentals ... location, transport, beach whatever & looks like good value & you can afford it (& will also be able to if rates rise) - then go for it

if you're uncomfortable with the potential for future rates rises then take out a fixed - or half/half

if you sit waiting to time the market you'll just kick yourself for eternity at all the opportunities you've missed!

When rates were 17 & 18% way back, we had just had one of the biggest RE booms at that time. IR rises don't correlate to price falls in my experience.

'we had just had' is the salient sentence. Interest rates were high when the boom started (c1987) just after the government had removed the 13.5% interest ceiling. But they got higher and higher and along with recession growth pretty much stopped.

And it remained sluggish for at least 5-6 years after then (in many areas).

While interest rates were coming down, which was helpful for those holding on, there was still a high temptation to sell, especially for those whose jobs/businesses failed given prices were going nowhere.

If you’re a long term investor, it shouldn’t matter. You’re best to get in the market now and let time do its work. It’s too easy to get stranded on the sidelines, watching and waiting for the best time to invest and never actually doing it. Just make sure you can manage the repayments if interest rates go up so even if prices move down, you’re not forced to sell during that time. Without a crystal ball, it’s hard to tell if prices will move down. They could well move up and you’ll be kicking yourself if you miss out investing at these prices.

Back