Buy now Pay later (NSW)

Yes its tough to move out West and the ego takes a dent. When the family home has been Watsons Bay the move to Rose Bay must be a kick in the teeth. :D

You have to sympathise with some people starting out .

But even at a later stage of life that can be an issue .

We've just had to move from Wahroonga to ....... Dare I mention it ... Turramurra ...

Though seriously , this reminds me of one of those Rudd thought bubbles .

The main impact of the FHOG was to increase prices in the lower level and this may well do the same ..... SO BRING IT ON ......:eek:

Cliff

Yes its tough to move out West and the ego takes a dent. ...
It's time they toughened up! There is a lot of great stuff and wealthy people out here. The problem lies in the stereotypes that that perpetuate and the 'snob' mentality about people who live out west.

In some industries that rely on social status and connections moving out west would be career limiting. .
It's not career limiting, but it is harder in the Corporate world, and jobs where the boss (or other staff) look down on you due to your address.

For instance, Lil got an apprenticeship at a swanky hairdressers in Vaucluse, as she's always loved messing about with hair. It was a long trip each day & she could have easily done hairdressing much closer to home, but as most of you have found out, she's not your average girl (and I mean that in a nice way). The place she was at did many celebrities and the clientele were very well off.

She was treated very poorly due solely on where she lived. It didn't matter than another apprentice lived in Granville, in a home of lesser quality, where Lil would be afraid of getting of the train alone, she was a "westie", and as such, of lesser quality.

She didn't stay long there. Ended up going back to school, moving to Vic, and well.....you all know where she is now.
Marty what about the poor Mt Druitt lad who's trying to carve a career in the corporate world ? do they have to lie about where they live? I know it may be reality but what kind of sociiety do we live in?
Hehe, I remember once Hubby had told someone at work that we lived at Lethbridge Park. The other person was very impressed. Turns out they didn't know where Lethbridge Park was. They thought it was a new upmarket housing estate. I'm pretty sure Hubby didn't let on.:D
I have worked with bosses who definitely do not like people living in Western Sydney, not the people who employed them but the ones they are working for directly.

I've had others who like employing people from the west because they believe they're willing to work harder because they have something to prove.

I know I'm dreaming, but at the end of the day, we should treat people based on their individual qualities, not their address. I've met many lovely people living in so-called, bad areas, and I've met some real lousy types from up-market areas.

some one raised a good point.

if you happen to meet/see Luke foley, can you please ask:

What happens if FHB defaults on home loan in two years and been forced to sell home, how and when and how OSR will collect due balance of Stamp duty?:cool::cool:

Crazy idea. It just fires up more demand and drives up property prices.

To me they need to have the following if they want more affordability for FHBers:

- 20% stamp duty of property value for foreigners/corporations/trusts.
- Maximum 80% LVR for property investors (either they have 1 PPOR or not).
- Scrap CGT concessions for ALL assets.
- Scrap negative gearing for property only (not sure about this as it works both ways) but you have to treat property as special class of assets.

The ideas above won't be popular here but hey ideas are ideas

Datto,

I have worked with bosses who definitely do not like people living in Western Sydney, not the people who employed them but the ones they are working for directly.

I've had others who like employing people from the west because they believe they're willing to work harder because they have something to prove.

Being from the west I prefer the second one as long as they're paying just as well as the others.

Regards

Andrew

Just rename the following areas:

The Hills District: The new North Shore
Parramatta: The outer inner West
Penrith: Eastern Blue Mountains
South west: <insert some inspirational region names>

At 150k cheaper, you're talking about an area that would have zero amenities and would barely scrape into the boundary of the Melbourne metropolitan area to start with. The commuting costs of such suburbs would completely destroy any saving you're making with a slightly smaller mortgage, not to mention having pretty much zero CG prospects for the future. I'm all for being realistic but your suggestion is borderline ridiculous. Also, I'm not sure why you mentioned Brighton as an example, as I don't think you can buy a closet in Brighton for 500k.

Edit: Just had a quick look online, for that price, you're pretty much limited to the likes of Truganina, Mernda and Doreen. Yep, totally an extra 10 minutes on the train :p

Wow for someone with so many posts you would think you would at least conduct some kind of research before making such uneducated statements.

If I could be bothered showing you endless examples I would but just to keep it simple I will simply use the example of where I actually live in Melbourne's North West. An older detatched 3 bedroom home on 650m2 in Niddrie you are looking at around 600-650.

Literally a 10 minute drive to Glenroy you could secure the same property on the same or bigger block for 400k. And yes you still have almost all the same amenities.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-glenroy-119191187
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-glenroy-119249063

And if you want to use my example of 500k and 150k cheaper then look at somewhere like St.Albans compared to living in Sunshine.

If you honestly believe there are not plenty of options at the 350k mark that still do not have access to all the required amenities then I would suggest you are not located in Melbourne and if you are clearly have no idea on the West.

I actually lived in Melbourne for 25 years (I'm 29) and *drum roll* in the western suburbs, to be precise. The examples I used are ones I found online that were clearly listed under 350k as that's the figure you specified.

The first link you provided is likely over 350k as it's listed for auction and the second one is pretty much a knock down rebuild (going by the text - something about building your dream home) so probably not the best examples to provide. Also, what is the CG prospects of the suburbs you mentioned? It seems like they've hit their peak. I would rather rent long-term and invest than buy there to be perfectly honest.

This ridiculous criticising of first home buyers is pointless and narrow minded.

The post is regarding making it easier for first home buyers by allowing the stamp duty to be paid over installments.

My statement was simple, I think a big problem is FHB simply do not want to consider other alternatives to the suburb they know and likely grew up in. The issue is a lot of these suburbs prices have outgrown and continue to outgrow at any rate they can save. But instead of compromising and moving 10 minutes away we continue to see things such as this and read how hard it is for first home buyers.

Whilst I appreciate this is an investment forum, most FHB could not care less about investments and capital growth so not sure how that is relevant to my above statement.

Regarding what I sent it is simply to show that under 10km's and 10 minutes drive you can still get the same amenities for 200k+ cheaper. And that there are definitely properties in Melbourne 10km from desirable suburbs and for 350k.

Niddrie > St.Albans is 10km. Many of these recently sold houses are more than livable for a FHB and most of them sold under 350k:
http://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...+vic+3021/list-1?maxBeds=3&source=refinements

CG is relevant because FHBs are constantly told that they should buy a house in the outer suburbs to start with and once they've paid it off and/or CG kicks in, they can afford to upgrade to a better suburb.

Isn't it a bit dishonest to then turn around and say they don't care (or shouldn't care) about CG when that's the whole premise of telling them to buy in these areas to begin with?

Property prices in Melbourne and Sydney are out of control and I would not criticise any FHB for saying it's unaffordable.

I'm just glad we moved to Canberra so I don't need to spend an extra 1.5 work days commuting every week (and that was a suburb "only" 25kms from the CBD).

Marty what about the poor Mt Druitt lad who's trying to carve a career in the corporate world ? do they have to lie about where they live? I know it may be reality but what kind of society do we live in?[/QUOTE]

If you think about it thought kids today have more chance of being socially mobile than any others in the past. Yes there is still an old boys network but it has less influence now than ever before.

I hear what you are saying but the point is this. Either buy now in an area you can afford and get some capital growth (Unless your buying in the middle of nowhere you will get CG, all the areas I have mentioned will see I believe decent growth in the next 5-10 years).

OR the alternative is continue to save for your ideal suburb and watch the entry level increase faster than your deposit.

Take my friend for example, they had 450k to spend 12 months ago and wanted to buy something in Airport West and would not entertain the thought of other suburbs. For that price they could have easily purchased in Tullamarine which is literally the next suburb. Both suburbs have experienced almost identical growth in the past 12 months (5.63%).

This means the median entry into this suburb is now 28k which is more than they can possible save.

Reverse that and say they did compromise and purchase in Tullamarine then based on the median house value they would have already made 20k in growth.

This is the exact point I am trying to make. Honestly the suburb difference would have almost zero affect on their lifestyle, but its just outside their comfort zone so they did not entertain the idea. This is what I am eluding too, this is an example of something happening all over Australia every single day.

Back