Buy PPOR in North-West/Hills or buy land in the Ponds

I am looking to buy a PPOR in North West Sydney. My preference is mainly Hills district and the suburbs with good primary and high schools. Baulkham Hills would be first on my list, followed by Cherrybrook, Kellyville, StanhopeGardens and Kellyville Ridge. But, but this is a bit wishful when I see the prices in these areas. I am looking to spend 650-700K and want house+land(min. 350 sqm) ina good area with CG potential. I work in city and also would like to have around 1 hour trip to CBD.
Now I have around 60-70K currently which is not much deposit.
I thought one strategy that I could try out is try to participate in this final Ponds land release: http://www.landcom.com.au/downloads/file/SalesPlans/LAN1692Ridgeline14SalesPlanFINAL.pdf
and see if I get lucky and then try to wait for a year or two while the CG in land builds up. But the land is not cheap, its around 500K and its touching Schofields , so I am not too sure if it would appreciate as much. With the CG if it works, I could try to look for PPOR a year or 2 down the line.

Another strategy that could be tried out is at times there are cheaper properties advertised - see this: http://www.domain.com.au/property/for-sale/house/nsw/baulkham-hills/?adid=2011488627&sp=9
Engage a local and expert buyers agent and try to negotiate and underquote price on properties like these. But for people on a shoestring budget like me, who are not really shy of doing legwork, would they gain something by engaging a buyers agent for around 10K mark?
Why would a seller accept a lower quote by a buyers agent in a sellers market when he has got better offers to work on?
Are there any other ways as well buyers agent save money like money spent on a solicitor and conveyancer etc.?

Please help!

Prices in Quakers Hill can get up to $600 range as well, especially on the north side, and the lands on that side is also around 300-350sqm. The Hills district is now in the $1m range. I had a look at a property in Castle Hill, price was advertised as "offers above $750" but on the auction day it went up to $1.3m!

Back