Buyer pays cash for $102 million mansion - POLL - Excessive?

If you had the money - How much would you spend on a PPOR?

• Upto $500,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upto $800,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upto $1 million

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Upto $3 million

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Upto $5 million

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Upto $10 million

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Upto $25 million

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Any price - no matter expense within my net worth

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I would not buy, rather rent manions

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Three billionaires in bidding war for French-style estate.

http://theage.domain.com.au/real-estate-news/buyer-pays-cash-for-102-million-mansion-20140402-35yca.html - The Age

The sale is a record for LA County, but the final price fell short of the national record of $117.5 million. This was set last year for a mansion in Woodside, Northern California.

The result is nearly double Sydney’s record price of $52 million, set last year for a mansion called Altona in Point Piper.

/ikˈsesiv/

adjective: excessive

more than is necessary, normal, or desirable; immoderate.
"he was drinking excessive amounts of brandy"

synonyms: immoderate, intemperate, imprudent, overindulgent, unrestrained, uncontrolled, lavish, extravagant;

Last edited:
"Any price - no matter expense within my net worth 7 replies / 43.75%"

Looks like you lot so far would break every record in Australia, if you could.

If you are holding a massive amount of a paper currency that you think is heading to a value of zero then you might just be looking to exchange it for anything solid.

Why not - if money was no object?

Because we all know there is no real extra happiness achieved in going from a $10m mansion to a $100m mansion. Conversely, if the money was used to drag more than a few starving kids in Bangladesh out of abject poverty, the level of happiness that achievement would elicit in whoever was responsible for it would be comparatively high.

Weren't Bill Gates's kids only getting $10m? That's more than enough to lead a life of comfort, security and happiness and to be able to achieve anything they wish. After that, I reckon there is little to be gained. And it would appear the world's great philanthropists agree, which is why they just give it away. They have already worked out that giving the money to truly worthwhile causes is far more satisfying than just buying ever bigger mansions.

Because we all know there is no real extra happiness achieved in going from a $10m mansion to a $100m mansion. Conversely, if the money was used to drag more than a few starving kids in Bangladesh out of abject poverty, the level of happiness that achievement would elicit in whoever was responsible for it would be comparatively high.

Weren't Bill Gates's kids only getting $10m? That's more than enough to lead a life of comfort, security and happiness and to be able to achieve anything they wish. After that, I reckon there is little to be gained. And it would appear the world's great philanthropists agree, which is why they just give it away. They have already worked out that giving the money to truly worthwhile causes is far more satisfying than just buying ever bigger mansions.

fairly subjective post

happiness to you and bill gates is different to everybody else...for every 1 philanthropic billionaire, there are 100 who aren't

A person that buys $100million mansion in cash will only be happy until a $200 million one pops up around the corner...if their drive in life were to be 'comfortable', they would have stopped making money at $10 mil or less

necessity, comfort, saving the world has nothing to do with it (who's saying this guy isn't saving bangladesh kids as well? have you seen the size of bill gates mansion?)

...for every 1 philanthropic billionaire, there are 100 who aren't...A person that buys $100million mansion in cash will only be happy until a $200 million one pops up around the corner...

My guess would be there are 1000 that aren't.

Agree, that there's no real difference between a house with 38 rooms and
10-12 bathrooms, and a house with 16 or so bedrooms and 5 bathrooms !

fairly subjective post

No it isn't. Having read widely on the subject, it becomes very easy to conclude that the correlation between wealth and happiness goes to custard once we are already comfortable. There is no evidence I'm aware of that ever increasing wealth leads to ever increasing happiness but I would be ecstatic if you could provide some.

Don't get me wrong though. Wealth at these levels can be a great source of self esteem as it is really about keeping score - with oneself as much as anyone else. I don't deny at all that creating wealth is a great source of pleasure in it's own right and there is nothing wrong with that.

But when it comes time to start spending it, I see a lot of people who think certain expenditures will increase their happiness, only to end up disappointed. From what I can see (which I admit is very limited but I do know quite a few very wealthy people), the ones with greater levels of emotional intelligence and experience in these matters end up on the road to some form of philanthropy and are consequently happier than those who push it into a bunch of harbourside and rural estates / boats / cars etc.

Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $500 million but I was just as happy when I had $480 million.

A person that buys $100million mansion in cash will only be happy until a $200 million one pops up around the corner...if their drive in life were to be 'comfortable', they would have stopped making money at $10 mil or less

Who were the people that selected up to 1mil? Do they live in rural tasmania?

Cant get anything decent under a mil in Perth / Sydney / Melbourne, surely.

Look when will you people learn that it doesn't matter if you are poor or rich as long as you have lots and lots of money.

Look when will you people learn that it doesn't matter if you are poor or rich as long as you have lots and lots of money.

rich-rmoney-meme.jpeg

Back