Buyer's Agent

W

WebBoard

Comments on Buyers Agents required
Date: 08 Feb 2001
Time: 07:40:49

Has anyone used buyers agents ? I'm from Sydney. and looking to get my first IP within 5km of Bris CBD. I've got lots of equity & a high income & am visiting Bris this w/e.

I've researched http://www.property.com.au and http://www.realestate.com.au and a few agents sites to get an idea of prices - (everything seems so cheap!) I think I've got reasonable idea about which suburbs to go for and also what attributes to look for in a rental property. Would a buyers agent give me much benefit (considering they charge up to 3% of the purchase price) ?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
TBA

Reply: 1

Re: Comments on Buyers Agents required
Time: 08:29:21

Dear KJ

Why you should consider using a buyer's agent!

1) If you don't feel confident/ compitent to achieve the best outcome
2) You can deal with one agent who has access to he whole market place from which to locate suitable property.
3) Does not have a vested interested to recommend from a limited range of stock.
4) Does not have a conflict as they don't attempt to meet the needs of the buyer and the seller at the same time.
5) Will save you time, money,energy & endless frustrations
6) Will disclose the positive as well as the negative aspects of property (a refreshing change).
7) Will prevent you from paying too much.

I am sure I could think of more reasons but I think you will get the picture.

Good Luck and enjoy your stay in Brisbane.

We invite you to check out our web site:

http//www.thebuyersagent.com.au

KJ

Reply: 1.1

Re: Comments on Buyers Agents required
Time: 08:57:21

I read all that on your web site - thanks.

I was hoping to get opinion from other forum members. Has anyone here used TBA or any other buyers agents ?

Ross

Reply: 1.1.1

Here's a few comments from the Media
Time: 11:05:25

Hi

This is a LONG post... But I thought I few people might be interested. You see, buyer agents are still pretty new in Australia and we need your support... So here's a few quotes from the Australian media.

A Buyer Agent? Here’s what others are saying ...

“I think it’s rather unfair. Vendors are able to use an agent to sell their property, why can’t we use one to buy a property… What the buyer agents have brought to the industry is more information. If I tried to buy this house on my own, I wouldn’t have been able to extract the information these guys did.”

- Chandler, M. (1999) Buying with a little help from a friend. Australian Financial Review, May 22, p23.

“Buyer agents… are also heavily involved in other important aspects of property purchase, from selection to private treaty deals. Pre-auction assessment and negotiation can be especially valuable to buyers who are looking at properties in unfamiliar areas. Here an advocate’s experience can be particularly valuable and can save purchasers thousands of dollars.”

- n.a. (1998) Advocates now a part of the scene. The Age, October 14, p5.

“…it will become more common to see buyer’s agent in the future. These will be trusted advisers retained by the consumer to ensure they have the best deal in the marketplace.”

- McIllwain, Robin. (1999) Targeting generation X’ers. REIQ Journal, July, pp8-9.

“Buyers’ advocates, who research properties and act for you when you’re ready to purchase are arriving in droves to fill a rapidly expanding niche in the residential property market. The boom, according to some advocates, has come out of the need to protect buyers from what they describe as “dirty tricks” by some real estate agents.

- Coombes, Paul. (1999) Protective services. Sydney Morning Herald, October 6, p19.

“The popularity of auctions in Melbourne has led to the emergence of someone called a “buyer agent”, whose purpose is to counter an auction system they claim is slanted and geared towards the vendors.”

- Howard, Jane. (1999) Buyer for hire. Herald Sun, December 20, p63.

“For far too long buyers have had to fend for themselves, and in most instances with little or no knowledge of how the auction or private sale system operates. Too often, buyers miss out through lack of market analysis or expertise in the negotiation process.”

- Dunlevy, M. (1997) Negotiator for buyers arrives. Weekend Australian, May 10-11, p11.

“Australian buyers are resorting to the use of buyer agents in increasing numbers.”

- Huon, Norman. (1999) The role of buyer advocates. The Age, July 24, p3.

“A buyer’s agent offers two advantages: expertise and skill in assessing properties, and the ability to make sure the client gets the property for the lowest possible price.”

- Murrill, M. (1999) Intimidated by auctions? Business Review Weekly, August 20, pp105-6.

“Buyer agents – the property experts who find houses and try to buy them at the lowest price for clients – are the self-described ‘poachers turned gamekeepers’ of the real estate game.”

- Luff, David. (2000) Cleaning up to protect buyers. Daily Telegraph, January 17, p4.

“Buyers advocates can save you money, time and provide professional advice… They are mostly experienced real estate agents who act exclusively in the interests of the buyer.”

- Westwood, John. (1999) Buyers advocates. The Age, April 18, p5.

“Bidding for a house at auction can be traumatic experience. So wouldn’t it be a relief if someone bid on your behalf?” And “…having a professional negotiate the purchase of a house can also save the buyer thousands of dollars.”

- Schimidt, Lucinda. (1999) Advocating a better deal. Herald Sun, July 26, p31.

“Appointing an agent to act for you when buying can tilt the scales of negotiating and bargaining power in your favour. Professional property traders have been using buying agents for years. Yet few homebuyers ever appoint their own agent. In many cases the reason they don’t, is simply because they don’t know they can. It is an option worth considering.”

- Tigani, Joseph. (1992) Chapter 6: Your own buying agent, in “Winning with Real Estate: How to buy or sell your home successfully.” Elephant Publications. Kenmore, Qld. 196 pages.

“The day when aspiring home owners can buy a house without grubbing their fingers on the real estate pages of a newspaper is fast approaching.”

- Hugh, Martin. (1998) Rise of buyers’ advocates. The Age, August 5, p3.

“The growing use of buyers’ agents at residential property auctions is in reaction to the use of dummy bidders by the real estate industry. As well as vendors using dummy bidders, buyers’ agents are also using the same strategy to achieve a price discount for home buyers on the Australian residential property market.”

- Sexton, Jennifer. (1999) Agents make bid for buyer’s market. The Australian, August 7, p9.

Jacques

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Re: Here's a few comments from the Media
Time: 11:23:58

Hi Ross,

You wrote: "You see, buyer agents are still pretty new in Australia"

So apart from looking up the White pages (I do not know if they are listed in the yellow pages? It only lists RE agents), how do we find them? Surely you have a network of buyer's agents, and if someone asked: "do you know a buyer's agent in the Gold Coast?", they would reply "Ross Sondergeld". If I asked you to refer me to a buyer's agent in Melbourne, could you do that?

Cheers Jacques

P.S.: just looked up the white pages on line, and it comes up with The Buyer's Agent in Croydon Hills. Not someone related to you, TBA?

Ross

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

How to find a buyer agent....
Date: 09 Feb 2001
Time: 19:46:56

Hi Jacques,

Yes... buyer agents are VERY new in Australia.

At present, there are about 15 in VIC, 8 in NSW, 3 in WA, 2 in SA, 5 in QLD, and one or two dotted around the edges.

You asked, "How do we find them?"

Good question... I've talked to most buyer agents in Australia and there aren't many.

Jacques to Ross, "If I asked you to refer me to a buyer's agent in Melbourne, could you do that?"

Type "buyer advocate melbourne" at www.google.com

Then you should find... Richard Kerr Morrel and Koren And a few others

But I cannot lead you to anyone in particular.

Meet a few... and pick someone that is experienced and that you trust. Then decide how you wish to compensate the buyer agent.

On the Gold Coast, I either buy direct from the seller or I cooperate with the seller's agent on a 50/50 basis. Therefore, there is no additional cost to the buyer. (But remember, no one in Australia does it like I do it.) So get all the costs up front.

Ross Sondergeld ~ Buyerside Real Estate

LREA, QC.RE, Dip.Bus, B.Bus, PGDip.Property

Save time. Save money. Get a Buyer Agent!

FREE info kit, email... [email protected]

Gold Coast today... sunny. And almost perfect !!!

Sim

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

Re: How to find a buyer agent....
Date: 10 Feb 2001
Time: 10:23:35

I found this link on google:

http://www.morrellandkoren.com.au/pr1.htm

... the bit about the auctioneers getting all stroppy with the buyers agent made me laugh !

Sim'

Pat

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Re: How to find a buyer agent....
Date: 11 Feb 2001
Time: 19:36:20

Ross, I tried google search for buyer advocate in Perth. No luck. Any leads?

Pat

Ross

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Here's a Perth buyer agent
Date: 12 Feb 2001
Time: 11:13:05

Hi Pat,

I personally don't know any buyer agents in WA.

But "Saville Wright Real Estate" provide a buyer agent service. Their on the internet somewhere.

Go to www.google.com and type it in...

Hope this helps...

Ross Sondergeld ~ Buyerside Real Estate

Gold Coast today... still sunny !!!

Pat

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Re: Here's a Perth buyer agent
Date: 13 Feb 2001
Time: 01:06:42

Thanks Ross, I'll try that route.

Pat

Mike

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Mike to Ross
Date: 12 Feb 2001
Time: 13:13:24

Hi Ross,

The great buyer's agent debate is on in the thread: Re: HOW IFFY ARE THESE PEOPLE

We would appreciate your input in this matter.

Regards, Mike

Kristine

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Re: How to find another good buyers agent....like me!
Time: 19:41:51

You won't find another good buyer's agent just like me 'cos I have endless patience, endurance and imagination and don't stop until I find exactly the right property for my client. Modest, too!

If anyone is looking to buy residential, commercial, industrial, holiday - any type of property in Melbourne or Victoria, please contact me and I would be happy to discuss & quote. Most folks seem to be xx happy with my service.

email [email protected]

Mike

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Time: 23:25:01

Hi Kristine,

Good to see more buyer's agents joining the fun of the forum. Word must be getting around. You'll need plenty of "patience, endurance and imagination" to get involved with the forum. And no need to be modest.

Question: Where are investors buying residential, at the moment, in Melbourne?

Regards, Mike

Kristine

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1

Time: 23:56:44

Thanks, Mike

Where in Melbourne? I work for individual clients with individual needs, so I look at the market with the client in mind. Selling agents work the other way - here is the product, where is the buyer. Once I find an area the client is happy with, then I aim for a shortlist of properties, do a thorough due diligence including rental comparisons, and look at the valuations history not only of the suburb but of the type of property within the suburb.

You make your money when you buy, and my aim is to negotiate as well as possible for the client so that they have some market 'edge' built in to the purchase. So, where? is a subjective assessment from the client's point of view, and I try to steer them towards the most secure type of property within the market to meet their needs with negotiability a high second on the list of considerations.

Sorry to be so long winded - it's a genetic condition, a bit like webbed feet.

Thanks for your reply.

Kristine

Back