buyers agents need to be licensed?

Hi all,

As some of you are aware, i have entertained thoughts in being a Buyers Agent and using my network of contacts in Taiwan to gain clients.

Anyway, i am getting conflicting info about being a buyers agent. Do i need to be registered and is the registration for a buyers agent on a state or federal level - that is, if i am a registered buyers agent in NSW, can i still locate and liaise about properties in Vic?

I'm not getting consistant info from the people i speak to on this one (even from inside the REIA). Alternatively, can someone put me in touch with some authority figure to give me a postive response that i can quote.

Thanks

g

you need to contact whoever does the licensing in your state for the requirements.

Licensing is state based not federal. In Qld the certificate is the same as that for an REA. I can't comment for the other states, but imagine it would be very much the same.

for nsw have a look at http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/P...ons/Required_qualifications/Buyers_agent.html

it would appear that the licence is similar but restricted.

It certainly will not allow you to operate in Victoria - you will need to be either dual licenced (difficult) or find a friendly agent/buyers agent down there you can enter into an agreement with.

hope this helps.
UC

they most definately need to be licensed. They may not tell you up front but they will fine you for dealing in property without a license

X

Do i need to be registered and is the registration for a buyers agent on a state or federal level -
It is licenced on a state level as urban cowboy said.

that is, if i am a registered buyers agent in NSW, can i still locate and liaise about properties in Vic?
You will need to get your BA licence in NSW first. (It is a sub-set of a full REA licence - i.e. you don't need to do trust accounting etc - unless you plan to hold money in trust.) If you plan to operate in Victoria then you will need a licence to operate in that state too and so on for the other states & territories. However, the licence should be easier to obtain since you are also licenced in anther state for the same thing.

Alternatively, can someone put me in touch with some authority figure to give me a postive response that i can quote.
The best thing to do is to email the REINSW at: [email protected] Their response time is very quick - within 2 hours in my experience. Also you could talk to David Pentecost who is their Compliance department guru. David liases with the Department of Fair Trading in NSW on a consistent basis and will know what you need to do.

thanks for the replies.

I had a chat to someone in REINSW who emailed me a fair chunk of documents that i am starting to wade through. I'll put both myself and my Taiwanese wife on the courses.

I'm also going to get myself a chinese and taiwanese domain name (ie .CH and .TW) and create a web page in chinese and then use my contacts and family contacts in both Taiwan and China to target the major real estate chains there. The idea is to partner with those established real estate places in offering an Australian buying agency to those enquiring.

Something to work on.

thanks

g

Back