Buyers Markets or ......

What drives the market

When investing it is important to look t what drives the market

When its one industry like mining the market is artificial. The price goes up because of strong demand but when the demand drops off or the market is over supplied the markets comes back sharply. So stick to main cities.

Nab aren't keen, but CBA still will @ 90% for investment. At least they were recently, and they haven't advertised otherwise.

The problem I see for Hedland (and probably Karratha although I don't know Karratha as well), is that no matter how cheap the houses are and how low the rates are, there is so much new building going on and supply coming in and the place already has a 25% (unofficial) vacancy rate (as told to me by a local REA.)

However, for the right house it's probably a good time to buy - especially a modern house around pretty pool area.

I could be wrong (think I was once before?) but I don't think anyone is building in Karratha...what nutter would do that with prices where they are? Who is building in Hedland?

I don't know much about Hedland, does it have the same diversity of economy as Karratha?

Probably not as diverse - it's pretty much owned by BHP. But that port is BUSY, regardless of the iron ore price. It's quite a fascinating place.

I know there was a lot of building previously in Karratha, however maybe not now so much. In Hedland there are still new developments sites and building everywhere - a lot of it by BHP for their workers which will impact the rental market further.

No, it is Sellers's market here in NSW especially.

The only good things to buy in Sydney is for PPoR, but not for investing IMHO.

For a sure chance of profitable investing, pick anywhere within 15 KM of Brisbane CBD and hold it for the next 7-8 years.

That is based on my Somersoft forum browsing an analysis so far.

No, it is Sellers's market here in NSW especially.

The only good things to buy in Sydney is for PPoR, but not for investing IMHO.

For a sure chance of profitable investing, pick anywhere within 15 KM of Brisbane CBD and hold it for the next 7-8 years.

That is based on my Somersoft forum browsing an analysis so far.

You realise this is a thread about Karratha, Port Headland & Darwin right? I don't think you'll find many people disagreeing that Sydney is currently a sellers market.

On topic - if I could afford to, I would be tempted to have a gamble in Port Headland. Supply obviously currently far exceeds demand, but it would make a good contrarian investment if you're game.

Probably not as diverse - it's pretty much owned by BHP. But that port is BUSY, regardless of the iron ore price. It's quite a fascinating place.

I know there was a lot of building previously in Karratha, however maybe not now so much. In Hedland there are still new developments sites and building everywhere - a lot of it by BHP for their workers which will impact the rental market further.
I love Karratha :D

I love Port Hedland :D

I lived there last year and it got under my skin. I have good friends in Karratha too, they love it there. It's a pretty amazing part of the world, and I find the economics of the place fascinating.

I love Port Hedland :D

I lived there last year and it got under my skin. I have good friends in Karratha too, they love it there. It's a pretty amazing part of the world, and I find the economics of the place fascinating.

It does tend to do that, there's a lot of life left in the old girl, bring on Anketell ;)

Back