Buyer's remorse

I've now purchased nine properties, but every time I buy one, I question myself afterwards and get a case of buyer's remorse for a while.
Does this happen to other people as well?

I've now purchased nine properties, but every time I buy one, I question myself afterwards and get a case of buyer's remorse for a while.

I have no IP's but I get buyers remorse with a lot of big purchases so I can only imagine what it must be like with an investment property.

But the fact the you have 9 properties goes to show you're worrying about nothing as you clearly know what you're doing.

You're only young as well from memory? 26?

Never had any buyers remorse to be honest, if the numbers stack up, fits my long term goals and I've done my research there's nothing to worry about. :)

I have no IP's but I get buyers remorse with a lot of big purchases so I can only imagine what it must be like with an investment property.

But the fact the you have 9 properties goes to show you're worrying about nothing as you clearly know what you're doing.

You're only young as well from memory? 26?

Thanks. When I look at it, I actually am doing quite well and this buyer's remorse disappears after a couple of months as well, it just rears its head when I look at the other properties that are now on the market or have sold since.
I know that I usually still got good buys (one exception), but I guess you rarely get the best buy in the suburb.

I'm not 26 anymore unfortunately, I'm 32 now. But still youngish, I suppose. ;)

I have bought two properties - a PPOR and a commercial property. I have enjoyed both immediately on purchase and continue to enjoy them. I am an owner occupier of both and find that the non-financial benefits of ownership are truly worthwhile. The PPOR has actually gone up in value a little over the past five years and this adds to the pleasure. I receive a little rent from a sub-tenant in my commercial property and this also gives pleasure. So far, no remorse.

Yes, have always had buyers remorse for big purchases - usually the best ones!
Am getting better at it though. When I bought my latest car (2nd hand) I felt fantastic because I knew it wouldn't break down and would get through rego fuss-free for many years to come.

The buyers remorse goes away when the property starts to perform, doesn't it. I wouldn't look at other stuff that you're not going to buy at this stage. Just tell yourself that you don't want to do that. Look later.

Only had it with the first, it seemed a lot of money at the time. Now I regret not stretching a bit further. Subsequent two not at all.

Yes...for me it seems to get worse the larger our portfolio grows. Although its probably more to do with frequent purchases and the amount of properties you screen in shorter time frame.

I get buyers remorse when buying a pack of 6 socks for $10, this is after having visited 4 stores to find the cheapest price.
Somehow there are always cheaper socks out there :(
I let my fianc?e buy my socks now, no remorse and I can berate her for not having found the cheapest!!

... it just rears its head when I look at the other properties that are now on the market or have sold since.

Spludgey, the solution is simple, when better/cheaper properties come on the market that makes you feel buyer's remorse, you buy them too ;)

The Y-man

I would only get buyer's remorse from when I didn't buy what I truly wanted at a good price.

Property #1. (2005 West Ryde) :eek: I negotiated terribly! Sold since in 2011. After the prices didn't move for the first 4-5 years, I finally made over 100k capital gain on it. I know others have recently sold with the exact same space in that complex for another 100k and more above my sell price. But it's ok since I wouldn't have been able to buy #4 without selling this one.

#2 :D 2008 PPOR - Epping Area. Bought at a GREAT price (soon after we bought it an agent from a different agency even commented we got a great price). We bought a few months before the Epping-Chatswood rail link opened and have had HUGE price growth thanks to all the wealthy Chinese making Eastwood and Epping popular.!

#3 :eek: 2010 Canterbury Bankstown Area - slow growth. Has gone up about 100k in boom in last 12 months but before that it was very slow. I think the area has potential though (for people priced out of inner west this is a good alternative) and prices there are steadily climbing.

#4 :D 2011 West Ryde - I love this one! Great performer. I bought at a crazy low price, (clueless agent), renovated, after that it would have been worth more than 100k more than what I paid, and since then it would be worth another 100k on top of that if I was to sell.

#5 :D 2014 near USyd - hasn't settled as yet but I feel it was a good buy. Did a bit of should I buy or not buy after negotiating price but before signing the contract but I'm happy with it - extremely hard to find something with the features (bedroom, car space, balconies, quiet street, strata under $1000, good rental return, close to station) for that sort of price I paid.

I also regret that there have been at least 6 other properties (West Ryde, Lavender Bay, Doonside (50 m from station), Frankston, Lane Cove, Wollstonecraft) I REALLY wanted to buy in either due to the value and potential they represented or both value and location qualities they exhibited mostly between around the years 2010-2013 but financing was the issue. I'm trying to do it all on my own salary... My partner is not interested in property.... Won't support my purchases... Therefore no borrowing capacity. Impossible!This has been my biggest regret actually and there's nothing I could really do about it.

Dodged a bullet though, I also wanted to buy up near Airlie beach (around 2010 I think). Bought a house sight unseen (signed contract, was accepted). Went up and pulled out during the cooling off after I realised it wasn't that great, (the pictures on the net gave the impression the land was bigger than it actually was), the vacancy rate in the area was terrible (oversupply) and the agent was actually giving me huge red flags that the economy/housing market in the area was terrible and there is/was no indication it would change anytime soon....

Last edited:
Back