Buying a car... wagon recommendations?

Hi all,

We have a 1994 medium sedan that's getting a bit past it. Hubby is very keen on upgrading to a car with a 5 star ANCAP rating, for bub. He also wants a wagon since we're going to be doing a few driving holidays a year (nothing major, just Syd-Melb), and most likely a diesel car.

We're not averse to buying used since a car depreciates so quickly.

We've narrowed it down to a couple of options, which cost around $35k.
Ford Mondeo
VW Passat (used)

Our maybes: Mazda 6, Subaru Liberty/Outback, and the Hyundai i30 if we decide to go for a small car over the medium options listed above.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Personally I'm a bit iffy about spending $35k. I mean, that's a whole deposit for an IP there, but oh well, at least hubby has already lowered his budget from $70k (he wanted an evo) to a $50k family car to the current $35k budget).

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Look no further, these Skodas are great cars. VW build quality and technology (Skoda is part of the VW group). Incredible diesel fuel economy too. We had one when we were on holiday in Germany. Loved it. I also read somewhere that they have amongst the highest customer satisfaction ratings too.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...ing|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963053 4294963047 1562 937&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=53&__sid=129A4DA98680

Last edited:
Thanks!

I just looked into the skoda - it has a 4 star ancap rating while the skoda superb
(large car) has a 5 star rating.

hubby is leaning towards a used (2008) VW Passat wagon for ~ $35k.... dunno... we're still thinking.

i'm now resigned to the fact that we'll be shelling out at least $30k to upgrade our '94 sedan, which will put a dampener on our plans to buy IP#3 (not to mention my current year of maternity leave without pay!), but you can't put a price on safety, right?

I like a safe car and we have one. Until this car we drove rubbish cars because we could not afford better. Having seen Top Gear and how unsafe some "supposedly" safe vehicles, are, I would always go for a 5 star ANCAP car, but still would never pay new price.

Son who has just bought a unit has also (against our advice :rolleyes:) bought a brand new Holden Cruze, 5 star ANCAP, but bought it as a demo model, so saved himself the immediate depreciation. Basically, he paid what he would have paid for a two year old car, I suppose.

He made a big financial mistake earlier this year buying his "dream" car that turned out to be a "nightmare" and has wasted money on repairs and will lose money on resale. Hopefully, he has learned his lesson, but I won't hold my breath.

Thanks!

I just looked into the skoda - it has a 4 star ancap rating while the skoda superb
(large car) has a 5 star rating.

hubby is leaning towards a used (2008) VW Passat wagon for ~ $35k.... dunno... we're still thinking.

i'm now resigned to the fact that we'll be shelling out at least $30k to upgrade our '94 sedan, which will put a dampener on our plans to buy IP#3 (not to mention my current year of maternity leave without pay!), but you can't put a price on safety, right?

its a dilemma hey. ip #3 will be on the backburner for you.

yeah i reckon safety is important for you seeing that you have a family. if i had a kid i'd want a newer car. i'm single so I might just try to hang onto mine for a bit longer if i can.

We have a Mitsubishi Nimbus, 7 seater, same size as a wagon and love it.

It has a good safety rating, but doesn't have side airbags or some other features which would be more standard now. When we no longer need a wagon, or the extra seats, I would buy the cheapest 5 star vehicle, maybe another demo.

I am not tidy in the car and don't care what people think of my choice of "wheels" but safety is important.

I have an Xtrail and I love it. I used to have a big Kia carnival but that sucked petrol like there was no to morrow. The Xtrail is economical, comfy etc. Fits the kids , fits their stuff.

We're looking at a Subaru Forrester. I like the all wheel drive aspect, we do a fair bit of dirt road driving, and a Corolla is a bit ... well, not a good dirt road car. I think the later Forresters are diesel.

I want to respray the corolla pink, get fake cow skin seat covers and give it to the kid :D

We're looking at a Subaru Forrester. I like the all wheel drive aspect, we do a fair bit of dirt road driving, and a Corolla is a bit ... well, not a good dirt road car. I think the later Forresters are diesel.

I want to respray the corolla pink, get fake cow skin seat covers and give it to the kid :D

I borrowed a 2004 Forrester XT (the turbo version) a few years back for a while between cars (had a new car on order waiting to be delivered and drove the Forrester in the interim).

Great car, very highly recommend. Imagine that years model would be very cheap too now.

Hi all,

We have a 1994 medium sedan that's getting a bit past it. Hubby is very keen on upgrading to a car with a 5 star ANCAP rating, for bub. He also wants a wagon since we're going to be doing a few driving holidays a year (nothing major, just Syd-Melb), and most likely a diesel car.

We're not averse to buying used since a car depreciates so quickly.

We've narrowed it down to a couple of options, which cost around $35k.
Ford Mondeo
VW Passat (used)

Our maybes: Mazda 6, Subaru Liberty/Outback, and the Hyundai i30 if we decide to go for a small car over the medium options listed above.

Would appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Personally I'm a bit iffy about spending $35k. I mean, that's a whole deposit for an IP there, but oh well, at least hubby has already lowered his budget from $70k (he wanted an evo) to a $50k family car to the current $35k budget).

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Get a few year old VW R36 Wagon.

Will be a bit more than 35k though. Mid 50's maybe?

Almost as much fun as an EVO and practical too!!

Be VERY careful buying second hand European cars - they cost a LOT to fix when things go wrong. As in heaps.

I'd be buying a less exciting but new car with good warranty. Most cars are terrifically safe compared with cars of only 10 years ago. If you wear seatbelts and drive sensibly (and soberly) you're probably doing all of what you practically can for safety anyway.

We've got a few more years left in our current car but my husband has his heart set on a Mazda 6 when we eventually get another. The huge kids car seats are the main thing we need room for at the moment.

He also wants the rear camera, sat nav system, dvd all in one number in it.

(I finally caught up a bit technologically for my recent birthday and was given a Tom Tom - it's fun!)

Anyhoo, I'm reading this thread with interest...

P.S. I have put my hand up for the RACV trial of electric cars, here's hoping I get to play!

P.P.S. Sorry for the waffle, I've had two wines already to celebrate the cool change!

We're also car shopping at the moment, so I've been watching this thread with interest :).
We've got a 2004 Forester X and it's been great overall. But the bonnet paint is in a disgraceful state, mostly due - we think - to our exposed west-facing parking spot (only real option). We've also been told that the paint finish on the Subies is not the best - not sure how true that is.
Our only real issue with the Forester is that, with two growing lads, it's not the biggest in the back seat department. Ours are both out of car seats, except for a small booster for the youngest. There's enough room in the back for the kids now, but another year or two will make all the difference.
So, we're in the market for a mazda 6 wagon, probably 18 months-2 years old. Heading off to arm wrestle car dealers today actually ... wish us luck :).

it's not the biggest in the back seat department.
Try putting three of the little buggers in the back of a Corolla lol

I had to transport 4 medium sized kids, 2 adults and 2 teeny kids to the pool yesterday.

The 4 medium sized ones and I walked, the other adult drove the two teeny ones. Some random parent (probably of one of the kids', I didn't ask :eek: ) drove the soggy four back home from the pool. I don't think I could even have squeezed them in the boot ...

Back