Buying a doctors surgery

Hi all

An opportunity has come up and im thinking of having a crack at buying a shop that is a doctors surgery.

I seem to remember there was a thread talking about this very topic but i cant seem to find it...

Anyone else remember the thread?

Thanks guys

Pardon my ignorance Evand but whats the difference?

From what I can tell (I actually do there) it is a shop fitted out like a doctors surgery. Been there for 30 years as a doctors surgery...

Cheers
Aussie

Freehold or Leasehold

Hey Aussie,

I think Evan means, are you merely buying the building (retail shop) as a freehold that houses a doctor's surgery as the tenant or are you buying the leasehold (business/goodwill)?.....or ??both?

From the sound of your post I am assuming you are buying the retail premises as an investment with the doctor as your tenant.

Ah yes good point - I am looking at buying the freehold!

The prupose for the thread is to find out a little more about docotrs surgeries as Tennants - are they good, what return should I be after, etc etc

Ah yes good point - I am looking at buying the freehold!

The prupose for the thread is to find out a little more about docotrs surgeries as Tennants - are they good, what return should I be after, etc etc

If it isn't currently tenanted you may have competition. Pharmacies are subsidizing doctors to rent in facilties built next to them (owned by the pharmacy), and I know of cases where the pharmacy has completely kitted the surgery out to entice doctors to inhabit the premises...

The bigger "one stop shop" bulk billing medical centres are also big competitiors, as they are open extended hours (for more shifts than 1 or 2 GP's can provide). You would need to make sure there is some local need (i.e. no other provider in the area), or specific local market niche.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks Y man

Yep - place currently tennanted. The doctors surgery been there 20 odd years. There is a new 3 opt 32 lease in place.

Anyway lets see how it goes...

Cheers
Aussie

Back