buying a vacant block do you need a conveyancer/solicitor or can you DYI with a kit

Hi there

Looking at buying a vacant block of land in country Victoria. On the surface it seems a straight forward process. Is it a mistake to try and do the legal side of it yourself using a conveyancing kit?

I have checked with council on overlays, and discussed council requirements about getting a planning and building permit. I checked on electricity supply. I have a section 32 and have a copy of title. No other services are connected, no town water or sewage, and electricity currently not connected but is available.

If a kit is not good enough, then what can a solicitor offer over a conveyancor to justify the extra cost?

What is a reasonable cost ?

Thanks for any input

Kevin

Only a fool chooses to save money by doing own legal work. Your inexperience will miss something you dont see or understand.

We watch endless TV reality shows where people renovate homes, rebuild homes, cook etc without experience & qualifications whioch often require years of training and experience as well as accreditation and insurance. They are supervised and yet make a mess of it at times. Who will supervise you ?? You will have no recourse. If you pay a conveyancer / solicitor and it all proceeds normally then they have done their job and you sleep well.

Mate of mine found years after he subdiv his two homes of dual occ that he solicitor stuffed it up and he lived in his neighbours home and ditto loan security etc. And neighbour lived in his. Reality was he lived in the house he was supposed to be owner of but wasnt the owner. Took 6 months and god know what cost for solicitor to rectify his error at zero cost to my mate. Lucky same bank was lender in each case.

In each state there are rules which prevent a solicitor acting for both parties. But there is no law that says one party can DIY and make a mess of it. Yet only a sparkie can change a damaged electrical device (switch, fitting etc).

Only a fool chooses to save money by doing own legal work. Your inexperience will miss something you dont see or understand.
I have settled three purchases in WA myself... not a single issue.

I hired a solicitor in Vic to do a settlement there and had nothing but problems and ended up paying penalty interest because of their incompetence, along with a hefty fee.

Back