Buying acreage, what do I need to know and check? Please help, I'm scared!!

Hi I am looking at acreage and would like to know what checks I should have carried out on the land before making an offer.

I know I need to know the use allowed on the land and will be checking that wit the council, but for example, how would I know if there is a load of asbestos buried, or the soil is no good to build on etc?

What are the key things to check for and where do you go to check them?

How much will a settlement agent help here and what conditions should I put in any offer?

Do not want to get burned here and have a massive set back.

To use as a dog kennels. It is already zoned for that, that much I do know. I want to live there and build kennels for a business. I have been in touch with the council already to see if there is anything I should know regarding the land. They are due to get back to me soon.

By asking the local shire planning office and having researched the area for 6 months. Didn't think about taking the next step though... doh!

By asking the local shire planning office and having researched the area for 6 months. Didn't think about taking the next step though... doh!

Yeah kennel businesses aren't always a straightforward thing in terms of planning rules.

To answer your original question, you should probably focus on investigating the things that actually matter to your strategy?

I agree, but what should I be checking? How would I know if the land was unusable because it has bio hazards buried, how would I know if I became unable to build because the soil was no good? etc etc

I agree, but what should I be checking? How would I know if the land was unusable because it has bio hazards buried, how would I know if I became unable to build because the soil was no good? etc etc

How well thought out is your business plan exactly?Did you say you were building the kennels? Why not ask your builder?

Figures are good but finer points that I have missed I am picking up now by asking questions.

I have not selected a builder yet but I will get in touch with a building firm like Avalon etc and see if they can offer any advice. Good idea.

I have looked on Google Earth using its time feature and can see that there has been no breaking of the ground for at least 11 years so I am confident that it will have no asbestos etc.

I believe if you ask the agent "is there anything I should know about this property" they have to tell you everything they know

Up to interpretation, an agent wouldn't need to disclose anything as the question could mean it has 3 brm. Also an agent usually wouldn't ask for bad things about the property and what vendor would mention dumping material in a general conversation with the agent before signing up (as a vendor would be pointing out the good things not bad).

Ask them if they have dumped anything also the google earth has nothing in last 11 years so say it is okay. Go get a test done if you are that worried.

If you intend on building a house to live in you should have a very good idea of the house site and an indication if the coucil will approve the house site.

Is the land level? How does the land drain? Is the land in a flood zone?

if you are putting dog kennels in I suspect you would want them a reasonable distance from your house - is there enough room? What infrastructure is already on the land? Are the fences good quality? Are the access roads in good condition - do they drain properly?

Back