Buying an apartment

I have only ever bought house IPs. I am currently looking at an apartment and was hoping I could get some feedback regarding costs asociated with purchasing an apartment, building inspections (what to look for), body corporates etc..

There will be some slight differences depending on whether its a new apartment or an older style flat.

* Is car park on title? (Visitor's carpark??)
* Is storage space (if applicable on title)
* Presence of any sinking fund under the Owners Corporation (new name for Body corporate) and sinking fund contributions being made. New laws now require a sinking fund to be in place for all OC's.
* Any special levies to fund capital improvements
* Is guttering throughout building OK? ie is it starting to rust away
* Which way is the apartment facing eg west - it will cop the afternoon sun, which might be OK in winter but will increase your electricity bill substantially with the a/c in summer

That's interesting - most people (myself included) seem to go the other way (get started in apartments and "upgrade" to houses) :)

I have found less issues to inspect for apartments - as the Owner's Corp (new name for Body Corp in Vic) should be looking after this - so checking the Owner's Corp records (minutes and financials will be in the Section 32) is more important.

Check the minutes for problem/feral tenants, big sinking funds for a huge building repair, repetitive issues, etc.

See if the property is individually metered for gas and water - otherwise the landlord pays for tenant's usage.

Check the car parking arrangements -make sure it is on title if it is supposed to be. Most contracts will have a separate unit number for the car park as an "accessory unit"

Cheers,

The Y-man

Body corporate fees can take up so much of the rental income that you need to compare units against each other on the basis of net yield not gross yield.

Indeed, owner corporation is the big cost for my two apartments IP.
Now some CBD apartments do not have car park. But car park is essential.
Most people live in apartment is because of life style, so balcony is a must.

Hi there,

I've just recently bought an apmt in a high rise building myself.

Things to look out for :
* Sinking fund & meeting minutes of owners corporation(Section 32 of contract), no. of body corporate fees (some have 1,2 or 3 owner corporate fees dealing with different things). If they're very high, is it going to be worth paying that much if the facilities are just mediocre.

* Good view and high elevation is a must for myself. It beats the purpose of living in an apmt if its without views/blocked out by another building.

* If there is vacant land around your apmt, call up council and check what constructions are planned.

* Fittings & Building quality is by far the most important. Can you hear your neighbours from the upper floor flushing ? Are the walls thin ?

If you have any other queries, I'm more than happy to help. Just PM me.

Back