Buying an IP - Unit with no electricity connected

Hi all,

I am about to settle on a IP in Sydney which is an older style red brick apartment..

The electricity is disconnected as no ones lived in it for years.

What should I do? The selling agent is advising me that it takes one week to get it connected and I shouldnt be doing this in my name as the tenant going in needs to pay for electricity usage? I need to get in there to do some minor renovations as well!

Any help would be appreciated.

Get the electricity connected in your name and get your reno done. Then tell the electricity prover you are moving out and they will read the meter and send you a final account. The incoming tenant can do the same - but it won't take them a week.

Thanks

Thank you Propertunity.

Sounds like its going to take a week or two?

Is there any way of finding out who the last retailer on the property was? Maybe they can expedite it?

Thanks again for your help.

This may not be the case in NSW, however for a Vic property

Contact power supplier Eg powercor and give property address. They will tell you last time power was connected to the property. If less than 12mths since it had power then ring a retailer and have them connect. If it is longer than 12mths the supplier requires a compliance certificate from an electrician that all is safe to connect before electricty can be reconnected.

Hi all,

I am about to settle on a IP in Sydney which is an older style red brick apartment..

The electricity is disconnected as no ones lived in it for years.

What should I do? The selling agent is advising me that it takes one week to get it connected and I shouldnt be doing this in my name as the tenant going in needs to pay for electricity usage? I need to get in there to do some minor renovations as well!

Any help would be appreciated.

Out of curiosity how will you ensure that any appliances etc work if there is no power. Is your sale subject to all appliances/electricals being in working order?

Out of curiosity how will you ensure that any appliances etc work if there is no power. Is your sale subject to all appliances/electricals being in working order?

Great question! I wondered the same thing, and am in the same situation with a place I put an offer in on...I offered lower to cover replacements, but if they want we to go up a bit I can always put that condition in the contract!

I use Dodo power. No contract and most importantly no credit file hit.

If power has been off for an extended time, you may need to get an electrical compliance certificate before they reconnect. I had this recently where it had been empty for 12 months before I bought it.

Borrow electricity from your neighbour (give them a case of beer). Check the stairwell for any power points..use the common electricity lol..done that before till I got busted ..lol.

Also, do as much work in daylight hours. Carpet cleaners use power from their van. Borrow a generator...but avoid the fumes.

Good advice datto and seen it done many a time lol...

Ie: (race deleted)They place a wire at poa,that is if it is in meter box.(Note-Don't try this at home)

Anyhow,ca295,contact a retailer,yeah there all useless.shouldn't take a week,farout.

In Vic,the retailers have a deal on,that if your not connected in a day,you get 50 refund etc.

Good stuff for the field staff.

Anyhow back to Nsw,contact a numpty retailer and get it on.

Check the stairwell for any power points..use the common electricity lol..

Be careful of needles and wary of people shooting up...

Done a gig not long ago for oz grid in red fern...I wasn't fussed,but the guy i was working with from qld was dry wrenching lol.

Meter room was full of dead rats...That was the 1st meter room,he didn't bother going to the other 2 ha ha.

It it was me I"d be 100% on getting the power connected (and insuring all appliances work). As your probably putting tenants in soon, you'll want electricity on while showing them through (to brighten up the house and make the house feel more homely - attracting better tenants). I"d prefer to sort out any compliance certificates (don't know much about them) now then when tenants are trying to move in.

Hey guys,

back to see this thread through to help anyone in future. Thanks for your responses.

Got it connected in 2 days by origin. Also funnily enough did use the stairwell and an extension cord until it was connected (had the carpeters in)

Guys to be honest it is all hit and miss. Nothing was specified on contract as properties are selling in a matter of hours and days in the area.

I got the property quite under market value so I was prepared to take the risk.

In saying that, There was also no vanity in the bathroom and the water was off as well.. Installed the vanity tonight, turned the water on, and all the other taps are leaking in the premises lol..

It might cost be a little bit to change all the taps, but these are the risks one takes when the price is right.

:)

Back