Buying Australian made, grown or owned

Do you prefer to buy Australian-made/grown/farmed products where possible?

• Yes, I prefer products made/grown/farmed locally

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • No, country of origin doesn't matter to me

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Call me extremist however after reading this report I believe there is a relationship between us buying Australian products at the supermarket and the decline in our society, increased homelessness, drug use, family breakdown, suicide, etc.

I don't think you're an extremist at all.

I've always believed the rise of the welfare class and the increase in social problems correlated with the decline of manufacturing.

I do worry a lot about the future of this country. I can only see unemployment rising as more industries offshore.

I know we live in a global, capitalist society but it's hard seeing your neighbours lose their jobs.

My husband's company is currently offshoring. My husband's job is safe, but it's not nice seeing most of his friends lose their jobs :(

BayView, from memory, over 80% of what Aldi carry is Aussie grown/made. I also shop there.

Quite surprising how much of Aldi stuff is either Aussie or NZ, others are Euro (which would have subsidies) but I once had a discussion with a supplier who said Aldi was the best thing ever for smaller Aussie suppliers.

Apparently there are no demands placed by them for large $$$ for facing on shelves (up to $50k for some lines just to get shelf space at the big 2)

You go to their website, fill in the form for an appointment, make your sales pitch and name your price and then if successful they actually PAY you on TIME :eek:

Quite surprising how much of Aldi stuff is either Aussie or NZ, others are Euro (which would have subsidies) but I once had a discussion with a supplier who said Aldi was the best thing ever for smaller Aussie suppliers.

Apparently there are no demands placed by them for large $$$ for facing on shelves (up to $50k for some lines just to get shelf space at the big 2)

You go to their website, fill in the form for an appointment, make your sales pitch and name your price and then if successful they actually PAY you on TIME :eek:

The folks behind the scenes at Aldi are doing a brilliant job for numerous reasons. I'm not just talking prices and locally sourced produce, nor the efficient store designs, trolley return system etc but product quality too. Most (not all) is really damn good and some, outstanding.

One example. Aldi absolutely wiped the floor with everyone at the 2013 Sydney Royal Cheese Awards, winning Most Successful Dairy Produce Exhibitor and taking home almost 50 medals (comprised of Gold and Silver).

Their tasty cheese, for example, is the best I have ever had, and only $6/kg.

I buy what ever I prefer TBH, which conveniently happens to be Australian with a lot of produce and meats.

In saying that though, a large amount of meat and produce we buy at our house comes from farmers markets and direct from herders.

Cheaper, fresh as it can get, just makes sense.

The stock in Big 2 supermarkets for me is too low on expiry. Had a discussion with a produce manager in a store when I found half their potatoes had an expiry date of 1-2 days, the rest had 3 days at most. I mentioned to him that every week its the same deal. His reply was that they only get the expiry given to them, the supply chain just isn't delivering longer dates. Meanwhile I can walk into a SA supermarket, with expiry dates always over a week, for cheaper. Go figure. Same with the meat, a lot of stock coming in with less than 3 days expiry, which is pretty poor considering the stock is already vacusealed from two months before. :eek:

Stop talking about Aldi please!

We're still stuck with Colesworth in this little backwater called Perth... :(

It's at least going to be a couple more years, so they say.

I did my bit for the economy this week.

I spent about $750 on Oz clothing (bragging). Three gorgeous pieces, and the service in DJs was wonderful. I feel so rich! While the lady was doing up the purchase, I was stroking my new coat like it was a cat.

We'll be going back next week to outfit the progeny when they have completed their exams and the Winter fashion sales start.

Saba has $100 off all jackets this week for those who are interested.

My dad has a hardware shop near a manufacturing area in Adelaide.

He deliberately sources products from these local manufacturers - he has little signs everywhere alerting customers that if they buy that product they are helping to keep a local in a job.

The bunnings megastore up the road doesn't source locally to the same extent. My dad has lots of customers that shop at his shop for that reason. It definitely makes a difference.

My dad has a hardware shop near a manufacturing area in Adelaide.

He deliberately sources products from these local manufacturers - he has little signs everywhere alerting customers that if they buy that product they are helping to keep a local in a job.

The bunnings megastore up the road doesn't source locally to the same extent. My dad has lots of customers that shop at his shop for that reason. It definitely makes a difference.

Yes that reminds me. We have a tiny hardware store half way between here and our local Bunnings. If I can stop in there, it is in and out in two minute's flat. No stuffing around like one has at the Big B store - no parking hassles, no traffic and no checkout queues..

Just came back from the fridge with some Woollies fruit salad.Reading this thread i look at the fruit salad label...product of South Africa.I really am speechless.................

Now I am in Khon Kaen, Thailand and I am constantly thinking about hygiene, hormones and pesticides etc. There are little standards here and you never know what pollutants/additives/chemicals are in the food. It wouldn't surprise me if they are still using DDT here.

Thai farmers don't care about using poison on their crops. All farmers have a crop for personal use and no farmer eats what they sell because it has so much poison sprayed on it. A friend is a professor at Naresuan Uni in Phitsanulok and they do a lot of charity work sending out the scientists for a weekend in the university bus to test people for parasites. Liver fluke is a big killer in Thailand. Many farmers are happy and give fresh food but never from the crop to sell, only from their personal crop which has no spray. I watched a guy spray flyspray onto fresh fish at a local market to keep the fly's off :eek: No one gives a **** there, it's all about the money.

In HK we have a choice of Argentinian, Canadian and Aussie beef at my supermarket but I always buy the stuff from Oz. Argentinian beef is a bit cheaper but not as good.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20120906_160344_1024x768_640x480.jpg
    20120906_160344_1024x768_640x480.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 20120906_160351_1024x768_640x480.jpg
    20120906_160351_1024x768_640x480.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 210
No stuffing around like one has at the Big B store - no parking hassles, no traffic and no checkout queues..
Depends - like many things - what time and which day you go.

Sounds like you are going there at about 10.00am on a Saturday - like 3/4 of the planet does.

Sunday starts a little later - 3/4 of the planet sleeps in and doesn't surface till around 10, then slowly gets moving.

Peak hour at Bunnings/anywhere on Sundays commences around 10.30 or so....

Sheep/penguin factor.

We do most of our grocery shopping (other than the bi-weekly Market run) at 8.00am on a Sunday morning....

Ghost town.

Try Bunnings at that time.

Thanks for the consumer tips, Bayview, but I am already a shopping Goddess. It is the Hubby who has to stuff around for two hours before he heads off on the weekends, go to Supa Cheap, a tool shop at Brendale and not get home until time for Landline. He then realises at about 2:30 that he bought the wrong screws/bolts/or whatever and goes back AGAIN. Some days he can go there three times, it is then that I question my tolerance levels. He sometimes asks me if I want to go with him!

I believe the quietest time to go to Bunnings is after dinner on weeknights.

I believe the quietest time to go to Bunnings is after dinner on weeknights.
Or; at dinner time (is Bunnings open that late?).

Good time to go as well - to avoid the plethora of frickin cold callers that seem to think dinner time is a cool time to drum up sales (that's why god invented answering machines, I'm sure).

But, all these sorts of things are better to do when the multitudes are doing their sheep thing.

Here we are another non transparent industry, all aussie made products should have giant label with green yellow kangaroo to make it easy for consumers to pick.

Here is classic case of government authority doing nothing to protect Australian products which they are formed to do. All these people in politics do what ever they do but nothing what us tax payers paying them to do. "The public" should have power to sack theses head of departments.

So far the only upside is tobacco is slowly getting the boot but not as fast as I would like

When it comes to food, I always try to buy local produce or at worst, Australian produce.

When it comes to cars...mmm, I own a Ford Falcon G6 if that counts! But sadly, all other transportation machines are imported... Australia doesn't make Ducati's :D

As for everything else, well it is hard to find Aussie made electronics and clothes! Given the choice, I buy Aussie made, unless of course I am spending the tourist dollar abroad.... then I try to by from the local area as well ;)

Back