Buying building / reno materials online from China

Hi,

I read recently from API that a guy was buying his tiles, floorboards etc online from China for renovation projects.

I was thinking of doing the same. Does anyone have any idea where I can find more information or reliable sources? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Jackson

remember that anything coming in from OS unless previously certified by customs will need to sit in quarantine.

that INCLUDES baked clay tiles from what i've been told - there's no guarantee they were fired correctly.

we currently have 15 units on the go where the cabinets and tiles and blinds were all brought in from India - and sat for 120 days in customs.

remember that anything coming in from OS unless previously certified by customs will need to sit in quarantine.

that INCLUDES baked clay tiles from what i've been told - there's no guarantee they were fired correctly.

we currently have 15 units on the go where the cabinets and tiles and blinds were all brought in from India - and sat for 120 days in customs.

No probs with fabricated structural steelwork except the guilt every time you pick up the local rag me being quite close to the kwinana strip. Now I even see there are ads on the TV for the premier to get tough with us and make us buy local...

approx $3300.00 per tonne ex China in FCL's landed and the customs at most takes a week at this end about 3 on the water. This is cheap as opposed to $5500 to $7500 for light weight stuff locally produced. You cannot just use a directory to purchase though you have to buy from people you trust. We have one now and we are even making a bit on the side importing for others as there are so many horror stories. Of course if it cannot be containerised you pay a whole lot more so coming up with alternate on site welding and bolting details is another cost to consider.

I would happily buy local if that was all you were allowed to do but if everyone else imports what can you do to compete?

I cannot imagine anyone using 24tonne or more steelwork for a house reno but there appears to be enough factory owners here who might want to do extensions?

I love the way the Internet is opening all these doors to us poor old ripped off blind Aussies .
Unfortunately they'll start whacking tariffs , laws and crap all over it now before too much longer, just like cars and a lot of other stuff already.
They aren't use to competition here and don't like it one bit , the sooner they can get the country back to the way it use to be and skinning all of us , the happier they'll be .

No probs with fabricated structural steelwork except the guilt every time you pick up the local rag me being quite close to the kwinana strip. Now I even see there are ads on the TV for the premier to get tough with us and make us buy local...

yeah - protectionist trade systems in a globalised world....:rolleyes:

random (and Ausprop) have it on the head - Aussies have been ripped off blind for years.

it's about time our retail markups were held accountable.

yeah - protectionist trade systems in a globalised world....:rolleyes:

random (and Ausprop) have it on the head - Aussies have been ripped off blind for years.

it's about time our retail markups were held accountable.

The issue is labour costs. Here in Perth a boiler maker gets paid $30.00 an hour in a workshop, more on sites. With compulsory super, our inneficient workers comp system, payroll tax, long service etc the all up cost likely over $50.00 if its anything like construction.

In China you would be hard pressed for this hourly cost to be a weekly cost even if they are a skilled trade.

Australia can now only do the insitu work where work has to be done in place and in Australia. There is still work for welders / boilermakers locally as they are getting good pay on shutdowns in the mines etc it is more a case of fabrication business being virtually unviable here in Australia anymore. IF the dollar dropped back to .50c US things would change.

I don't know what the answer is as I do believe in comparitive advantage and the benifits trade brings it is just sad that businesses that have been around for decades are going to the wall when Australia generally is humming along.

The issue for Australia is as the Henry review warned the big hit to our terms of trade and the capacity we have thrown into mining could be a burden if mining investment was to fall away, an excess capacity that would take time to be absorbed back into other parts of the economy that have seen under investment.

Holding back mining investment by taxing it did have some merit in this area but personally I preffered the idea of making our economy more efficient generally to which he (Ken Henry) had lots of ideas too. The government left them on the table and went with his mining tax idea in isolation... The biggest issue for Australia is we have become so inneficient and the government thinks they can add any layer of burden to business and because we are humming along just don't care.

We must become more efficient not just aim for under 5% unemployment. That employment has to see the manufacture of goods or provision of services that is competitive in areas other than mining.

to be competitive the salaries need to go way down

another problem is that buying local no longer means buying locally manufactured stuff, but in most cases it's buying imported stuff locally.

Hi,

I read recently from API that a guy was buying his tiles, floorboards etc online from China for renovation projects.

I was thinking of doing the same. Does anyone have any idea where I can find more information or reliable sources? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Jackson

In regards to china - i only get small quantities - nothing massive to sell but for my own use. You could try alibaba or there are agents here in Australia who will help you especially if you do not speak the language. i did not buy online - i have been to china many times. My partner's family also have been importing chinese medicine into indonesia and malaysia for decades - therefore - i already have the network. I also can speak 6 different languages or dialects from indonesian, malay, english, mandarin, cantonese, hokkien and fuchow so it helps dealing with various kinds of people. There are also other countries like thailand (bathroom goods - especially basin - saw a basin which is sold here like 400 sold there retail at $50) or malaysia or indonesia(wooden furniture). There is a shop karina something in Aus that basically has a bali operation which sells its furniture here (high end designer)

A lof the furniture some designer like the ones you see online the barcelona chairs etc they're all made in china. - china is not for everyone - unless you're a big company - you're not going to be able to negotiate good margins. Also - realize that some items like bifold doors need certifications which have to be obtained for glazing and functions of door to enable them to be brought into Australia. i personally had to get the test done in shanghai laboratory to enable certificate to be done.

Best start is to establish your projects - what you quantities you need and then take it from there.

Majority of items in Australia are overpriced especially the building materials. i went to reece to see this electric WC which won design award. The faceplate for the switch cost like AUD$700 that's like really only $5.

Hi All,

Thanks for all replies. lots of information and thank you for taking the time in replying.

Will be doing a bit of search to see if I can see if there is anything online.

I tried alibaba, but looks like minimum order is about 500 sqm which is a bit too much for me.

Anyway thanks again. Any further information keep us posted.

Regards,
jackson

Porcelain tiles

Can supply Porcelain tiles at competitive prices. Imported from china fully sealed and will not need any more sealing after laying. Prices start from $17.00 per sqr light or dark coloured. PM me if interested, Can organise for delivery any where in Melbourne for a reasonable price.

Back