Buying house in Kogarah or Carlton - south or any innerwest

Dear All, I am looking for anyone advice on buying house in kogarah or Carlton nsw or innerwest subburb area to stay and for rental prospect that has good shopping area:confused:.Preference in Asian Community 3Bed house near station and shopping street and budget max 1M

Currently stays in Campsie but may need to sell it quickly as my next door neighbour will be knocked down for units soon,and developer has asked me to sell my house.

Which one has higher prospect in CGI?Is it better to choose bigger land in Carlton or smaller land in Kogarah with the same price? My preference lean towards Kogarah as it's covinience, has very well developed shopping area already rather than carlton.especially after living in 5 mins walk to shopping area. However open for innerwest area if anyone think it's better choice.

Or perhaps I should be patient to wait untill Interest rate going up which house price will be going down like everyone predicts sydney house is way too high.
Now we have hit the lowest rate so i guess it should go up anytime soon hopefully in 2015.

Many thanks in advance
Cheers Virginia

Out of the inner west, I would be looking at Ashfield, very large Asian population, lots of Asian grocery stores, cheap fruit barns, and fishmongers/butchers.

Don't know much about Kogarah sorry.

Cheers

My property (unit) in Kogarah has been on lease for rent. started fof at $550. Had to drop twice and finally found a tenant 3 weeks later at $515/week. Bad timing for me as an entire block was all up for lease same week as mine. Obviously tenants prefer brand new as oppposed to 7 months old unit.... summary: Kogarah ahs alot of stock, units wise

Hello,

I know Carlton and Kogarah well. Both have their pros and cons.

Carlton:

Not as many shops as Kogarah and never will be. It is supposed to be a little community and the idea of Carlton is that most shoppers will head to Hurstville when doing the weekly groceries. Carlton prices have gone up quite a bit because it is next door to Hurstville. You know of Hurstville right? It also depends which part of Carlton you choose to live in. I think the south side of the rail line but not past the princess hwy is more blue chip than the other side of the rail line, but I have not really driven too much over the other side. If you depend more on Hurstville, go for Carlton. If you depend more on the City, choose Kogarah. The streets off the princess hwy where there are only houses looks like a very nice area - the rail line side of princess hwy; don?t go the other side as there won?t be any Asians. To be clear, the side where the shell petrol station and football stadium is on is the better side of Carlton.

Kogarah:

Significantly busier than Carlton and more of a mix of various cultures. More crime as well in Kogarah. The shops at Kogarah are mainly small business shops; not really a shopping centre there apart from the woollies and whatever is next to it. Parking at Kogarah to shop is also painful with a lot of traffic on the main road. Kogarah is easier to access the main hwy and off to the CBD and closer to the M5 east tunnel. Stay away from the football stadium; otherwise, it will be swamped with football fans walking past your house and traffic everywhere.

Thanks to everyone who's replied.Mightywill thanks for your comparison,with Carlton which street should I pick railway parade or carlton parade?I really wish Carlton would somehow have more shops.. How do you know it will stay having small shop area?just want to be sure if i should pick kogarah than carlton for more prospect in the future?thanks again
With ashfield it's very small land with 1M :( so i pass this subburb

Dear All, I am looking for anyone advice on buying house in kogarah or Carlton nsw or innerwest subburb

Kogarah & Carlton back in 2000 both had median house prices of $365K. Now in 2015 Kogarah's median is $965K and Carlton's is $1.04M. So Carlton has done marginally better over that time frame, but there's not much in it.

Ashfield on the other hand is very Asian (as you requested) but you need $1.2M to buy a median priced house in there these days.

Sorry a side question.

I know once the block of units are built you will be right next to it.

Was ur decision to sell based on the developers advice?
Are you being forced to sell?

Since ur right next to a block of units, is the developer forcing u to sell so they can build another block of units?

PS: Kogarah would be my choice, as it has alot more shops and the convenience of travel to the city. Additionally, kogarah is not that far from hurstville compared to carlton.

Tx,
k.

Thanks to everyone who's replied.Mightywill thanks for your comparison,with Carlton which street should I pick railway parade or carlton parade?I really wish Carlton would somehow have more shops.. How do you know it will stay having small shop area?just want to be sure if i should pick kogarah than carlton for more prospect in the future?thanks again

The area that is quiet and nice is Edward Francis St. Also, near the football field, High st is very well looked after and looks very clean. Bellevue St also looks very nice. It's the railway parade side that I think is better; easier access to the main hwy's and out to the city. Hav ea drive around on the weekend, you will see nice streets and crap streets.

I would pick Kogarah out of these 2 suburbs.
Its good for communiting to the city. By the way shopping center is tiny - aldi, woolies and couple of take aways. Not sure if there are many asians in kogarah, Kogarah has different type of community - hospital personnel community. Almost everyone in the cafes is wearing a hospital badge.
If you want plenty of asians, close to station and shops - hurstville. Most trains stop at Hurstville. Have a look, maybe there is a house in your budget.

Thanks again everyone,answering your question k88k,developer hasnt pushed me but has asked if if i want to sell it but I'm pretty much only.2 house different to the land that they have bought for units so soon or later i have to sell it (but will hold it till the very end,hopefully get a good deal out of it)rather i keep it and i will exactly in the middle of unit which is not nice.

For convience,i lean toward kogarah but for.bigger parcel of land n quiet area i will choose carlton. Anyone know whether there is any future plan to develop carlton as im also leaning toward railway parade side as it's close to kogarah shopping area,wish the shop is stretching from kogarah to calton,i can see maybe about 10 house,the kkogarah shop might expand to carlton.:)

To also answer your question on how I know if Carlton will have more shops or not in the near future; if you take a look at the main st, there is no room for growth. It is what it is. Carlton station is also not a major station and before the change in train timetable, not very many trains stop there. The fact that it is next door to Hurstville which is considered a mini CBD; there is no need to expand on Carlton. Residents move here for its quietness. Kogarah is too busy for some. The high boys high school?s at Kogarah all have bad kid sin them which means a lot of bad kids roaming the streets when schools out.

We bought our house in Carlton in 2007 and prior to that I rented a unit in Kogarah for a few years. For shops either go to Hurstville or Rockdale Plaza, depending on what you want. Bunnings and Repco are just past Rockdale Plaza. Officeworks is on the south side of Carlton. Everything is accessible.

Kogarah is a hole, I avoid it. There's nothing there of any interest whatsoever. Mind you I only go to Hurstville if I really have to as well. Most of the time I send the Mrs - she's more tolerant of Hurstville's horrid car drivers than I am.

I rarely catch the train but the new train timetable has trains to and from the city stopping at Carlton every 10 minutes during peak times - no less than Kogarah.

As for Asian presence, it's by no means an Asian community but a few years ago when the median price was around 750k every house auction in Carlton that I stickybeaked at was bought by Asians so there must be a few around. Haven't been to an auction here since 2013 so not sure if that's still the case or not. Also, the corner shop on Willison Road/Ethel Street was bought by an Asian couple in 2012.

If you travel by train then choose kogarah. Express and limited stop stop on this station. Carlton train only all stop services.
Both carlton and kogarah have bad street. I had friends living on those suburbs with bad experience, breaking in carlton and robbery in kogarah. Check with local. Kogarah have lots of indian community.

Thanks everyone,i am now prefer kogarah rather than carlton since i have baby, im choosing convience side rather quiet right at the moment.will wait for better house on sale in kogarah.cheers

Hi Vanvir, I think you have made the right choice. I have lived in the area (carlton and Kogarah) for he last 10 yrs and I think kogarah is a really lovely suburb if you pick the right pocket.

Kogarah there are essentially two sides (the east and west side of the rail line). The east side is the area closer to st.george hospital, st.george bank HQ and brighton-le sand beach. This area is great, where you are close to the station, closer to the shops, short drive to the beach and the demographic generally is alot better than on the west side as there are more newer apartments. The best part of kogarah is the area just across the princes highway and between the bi-centennial park, where you don't get the foot traffic of the station and is generally alot more quite. unfortunately that part of the area is more expensive - around $1.1-$1.3m for a 500sqm block.

The west side of the rail is probably less desirable because of all the older style units (late 70-80's red brick style units) and you have a greater concentration of the indian and nepalese population.

Back