Buying in Glenwood, NSW

Hello all,

I have been looking at Glenwood, NSW for a while now. It appears to have grown over last year in value. I am looking to upgrade to a bigger place as my currnet unit is now adequate. Have a baby now.

What do you think about this area? Any pro's cons? Schools any good? there are a couple of Primary and 1 H/school.

what I have found about this suburb is that it has easy access to M2, M7. M4 is also not that far either(10Ks). It is on Blacktown council but on the side closer to the Hills council. The houses are nice there and area over all looks good to raise a family.

I also notice the Houses are listed with no price. this makes it hard to make a offer. I am new to this as I have only bought 1 property before, my PPOR.
Is this some new tricks the REA are using to hike up prices? What sort of barganing/discounting is reasonable for this area?

btw, I will be looking at this 1 this w/e.
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-glenwood-107360823

Please help me with some advice.
Thx.

Glenwood is a good area. Its like Baulkham Hills but due to being in Blacktown council, is about $100k less.

I have spent a lot of time there (business partner lived there for years before moving to beaumont hills) and its a nice place.

Good schools, local shops, and easy to get to the city (except peak time on the M2).

House prices.. 4br 2 storeys are mid-high 500's. That house in the link would be high 500's or early 600's I would expect.

OTH records here
http://www.onthehouse.com.au/buy/re...0&CarSpacesRight=10&PropertyType=&ListingType[]=Sold&Search=Search&ne=0&sw=0&zoom=0&SaveRecentSearch=yes&MaxResults=250

I've lived in areas surrounding Glenwood all of my life (Quakers, Stanhope, Kellyville, Blacktown) and have a friend who currently lives in Glenwood. Their house is 1 storey, 4br/2bth/2garage and was bought for around 540. This may have been overpaying slightly...

It's a nice place, all homes are relatively new and as you've mentioned it's in a good location as far as transport / shops / schools go.

As far as whether or not the schools are any good, I don't recall them being any better or worse than any surrounding schools.

I've lived in areas surrounding Glenwood all of my life (Quakers, Stanhope, Kellyville, Blacktown) and have a friend who currently lives in Glenwood. Their house is 1 storey, 4br/2bth/2garage and was bought for around 540. This may have been overpaying slightly...

It's a nice place, all homes are relatively new and as you've mentioned it's in a good location as far as transport / shops / schools go.

As far as whether or not the schools are any good, I don't recall them being any better or worse than any surrounding schools.
Hi Television,
Thx 4 the info. BTW, when did you friend but the 1 story 4 bedda?

Hi DaveMSydney, thx 4 the info as well.

I have been looking at this area for some time.

It has had very good appreciation in price in the last 2.5 yrs. What you get for 550K - 600K is what one could buy for around 440K in 2008.

I ultimately bought in Baulkham Hills for different reasons

Had a look at that 1 on SAt; agent is asking mid-600's! that seems a lot for a single level house; the new owners had not done any changes to the house except new timer flooring to the common areas.

i also had a look at a few more similar properties in glenwood and they were all asking above 600!

I thought single story houses were cheaper that 2 storey. I asked 1 REA and he said, single storey houses are always popular and sells quicker and thus the price is not too different to 2 storey.

thx guys.

Single storey homes are a lot more rare in the area than double storey homes and thus are showing to keep their value much better unless you go and look at Old Kellyville. 2 reasons come to mind; parents don't want kids falling from stairs and heights and senior citizens don't want to climb the stairs anymore.

I have a friend who lives at Glenwood and works at Norwest Business Park. It just takes her 5 minutes to go to work. If they need some work done on their house, she can just go home during lunch time and meet the plumbers/electrician. Also she can drop off her kids to school and pick them up.

Resurrecting this thread

Recently moved to nsw and i am looking to buy in Glenwood

i am wondering where in glenwood are more sought after? in terms infrastructure (transport blah blah blah)

much appreciated

Hi Pixie

We've helped many buyers in this area and Glenwood specifically. It has a lot going for it as an affordable family area, close to a good selection of schools, shopping centres, parks, fields etc as well as some streets being walking distance to the new NW rail link stations currently being built. Do some more research here http://nwrail.transport.nsw.gov.au/The-Project/Project-Overview and best of luck with your impending purchase. It's a hot market out there!

Think you may have missed the boat my friend

Buying at the peak now. I go to the Gurdwara there and its a nice area. However as with all those areas that way its pretty isolated and is a long commute to the city. That's what put us off.

Back