Buying in Reservoir

We are first home owners looking for a house in Reservoir. We've noticed that the house prices on one side of the suburb are much dearer than the other's. Any one can help please?
We are new to the forum and new to Melbourne thus your advice will be highly appreciated.
TinaandAlex

We are first home owners looking for a house in Reservoir. We've noticed that the house prices on one side of the suburb are much dearer than the other's. Any one can help please?
We are new to the forum and new to Melbourne thus your advice will be highly appreciated.
TinaandAlex
Hi, i know the market well here.

Best area and most expensive is the Oakhill estate, Dont expect any change out of 650K for a rundown 2-3 bedder. Not much comes up in this area. History tells us this has been the best part of the area for 60 + years. The area has alot of old people in it.

The next side would be the the area north west of oakhill. This area is the area id buy in too live due to my budget. Average people in this area.

The worst area is north of broadway and east of chedder road. Numerous commission units, with a massive one being redone. Heaps of single mums, plenty of stray cats and heaps of 1982 comodore wrecks on front yards with weeds.

Its an absolute massive suburb compassing ruthven, kingsbury and regent. Alot of the comission joints are being pulled down and develped. These blocks ive see go for 350-370K

Buying in Reservoir?

Hi Shaneelastic

Many thanks for your advice. We only have $450k to spend so we guess the nice part of Reservoir is way way out of our reach:-(. We looked at a few properties near Keon Park station and Cheddar Road (the average and the worst part) and are concerned about the powerlines. People keep talking about the EMF effect to health and that scares us. Any suggestions on how far from the powerlines is far enough? And what would be the impact of these powerlines to the resale value of the house?

Regards
Tinaandalex

Location, location, location.

I'm not an expert of reservoir, but this is normal what you just realised. In most cases, different pockets within the suburb will be priced differently.

Before you purchase talk to a few local (reservoir) real estate agents, find out which areas, streets, etc are worth more than others. Then go searching....

I learnt this the hard away, when I bought an IP in Altona

I hope this helps....

You might want to look at Kingsbury. 1/4 of it borders Reservoir, the rest borders Bundoora (shares same post code with Bundoora). It runs along Plenty Rd, which has trams that you can take into the city. Or you can walk across to the bus station at Latrobe Uni and take a bus down to Macleod or Heidelberg Station (This line is more reliable than the Epping line).

If you have young children, there are two primary schools, one state and one Catholic. There are several parks that are easily accessible. The better play equipment is at Bundoora Park.

If you like golf, there is a golf course and a driving range in walking distance.

Summer Hill shops are very close, there is both Safeway and Coles. There was a Target, but that closed down recently. At safeway don't expect any form of speed or service when you shop, quite bad attitudes. At Coles, it really depends on who serves you, but there is always 1 or 2 that shine at the checkout for you. Mind you, the vegetables are very average here.

Prices in Kingsbury have settled a little, so now might be a good time to look and find somewhat of a bargain.

ohh one last thing, for the most part, the avg block size in Kingsbury, around 465-550, is much smaller than Reservoir. There are some large blocks of 700+, but are never cheap and are certainly outside your limit.

Anyway, good luck with your house hunt. :)

Ostraylia.

buying in northern suburbs

Hi
Many thanks for your advice. With budget of mid to high 400K we re looking at the northern suburbs due to their affordability given their proximity to the city. It will be our PPOR so we prefer:
- within walking distance to the station
- friendly surrounding, i.e. : tranquil area
- solid brick house

We are looking at Reservoir (the part boarding Thomastown) and Fawkner since these areas are well established and prices are not so high. SOmeone recommends Kingsbury but we feel unsecured being away from the train station. Traffic in the North is nightmare, ie it took us almost 2hours to travel from Fawkner to city during peak hours going along Sydney road :-(((.

Can anyone shed some lights here please? Do we make a right choice heading north?

Btw, We re concerned about those HT powerlines in Reservoir. Fawkner seems nicer but again traffic in Sydney road in a pain.
Is there any one who know about these suburbs pls?

With thanks
Alexandtina

Fawkner is not a bad suburb and there are more ways to get to the city than Sydney road.

That said Reservoir isnt to bad either but you need to buy in the right areas. I lived in kingsbury for a while and walked to the train (about 20 minutes) but i dont much like the epping train line.

Other areas you could look at would be the Greensborough/Watsonia area which are a bit more east and although a bit further from the city have much better info-structure as well as the developments going in at Greensborough as well.

The trains out this way run nearly express to the city if you catch the right ones and there is a good area of properties near the stations. They are close to the ring roads without being right on top of them and they are not to far from the eastern freeway along Rosanna road.

go for it

Hi Tina and Alex,
I grew up in Reservoir and whilst I havent lived there for about 10 years now, it is still very close to the city, and there are still some well priced houses there, especially considering the potential of the massive blocks of land that can be found North of broadway and East of cheddar road.
Historically there were lots of comission homes there, but the area is slowly gentrifying. I read somewhere that there was going to be a redevelopment of the Keon Park train station and lots more car parks added??? If so, this would be good for commuters. The other option where there is ok housing would be the other side of high street, from edwards lake up towards mahoney's road. Don't take my advice for gospel, but it's worth checking out.
By the way, what are these HT powerlines you speak of?
Fawkner is close to the city and has a train line, but it is asthetically less appealing because of the industry on sydney road and the cemetery - personal opinion only, not sure how it would go as an investment. Think about whether there are any shcools or shops in the area.
good luck with it all!!
:)

Thanks guys

Hoobie1, thanks for sharing the info about Keon park station's project. There's a terminal station right next to Keon Park Station. One of the power lines goes along Keon Pde while the other one goes towards Edwards Pake Lake. The rumours about EFT effect worry us while we're not sure how far from the linew is far enough. What will be the effect on the house's resale value?

Are near Regent station will be nice but not sure it will be within our budget though. We will definitely check it out.

with thanks
Alex and tina

Hi
We posted a thread earlier about Reservoir suburb. We are currently looking at a house in the border of Reservoir and Kingsbury. It's located north of Plenty Road and east of Boldrewood Parade. It has access to both Reservoir station, ie 2km away, and Plenty road tram. We re just not quite sure if the area is the one with commission housing. And dont know of how to identify those commission housing.
Any local here please?
With thanks
Alexandtina

I went for a few inspections in Reservoir...for between 300k to 400k, you can hardly find anything.
One place I looked at was about 5 min walk to the station, 2 bedroom, almost rundown, very minimal land (tiles falling of the bathroom, kitchen was very old) the place is for sale for 340-370k, agent said the place can be rented out for $280 per week.
Does anyone else think Reservoir is over priced at the moment?

Back