Buying in Salisbury SA

Hi everyone

I am considering buying my next IP in Salisbury and am interested if anyone has any thoughts on this area and the idea of investing in SA overall.
I see there are things happening like the new expressway and Olympic dam upgrade but on the other has I have read posts referring to the fact that SA doesn’t have a housing shortage like other states and that this could impede growth.

Cheers

Adam

Adam

I have two in the Salisbury area - one in Paralowie and one in Parafield Gardens. Both have grown in value by about 70-80k since I bought them in mid 2007.

SA does have a shortage of affordable housing....my rents have gone from about 190-200pw to about 250pw since I bought them.

The areas is getting a lot of infrastructure and is pushing ahead. Pick up this month's copy of Your Investment Property and there is an article on Paralowie in SA state section.

Hi everyone

I am considering buying my next IP in Salisbury and am interested if anyone has any thoughts on this area and the idea of investing in SA overall.
I see there are things happening like the new expressway and Olympic dam upgrade but on the other has I have read posts referring to the fact that SA doesn’t have a housing shortage like other states and that this could impede growth.

Cheers

Adam

As far as northern areas of Adelaide go, the greater Salisbury area is one of the better ones, especially the various Parafields. A lot of the stock is pretty homogenous but there's nowhere near as much housing trust as, say Elizabeth.

I worked out that way for umpteen years ... Elizabeth *still* scares me. So do parts of Salisbury. Make sure you do a good drive around of the immediate area of whatever house you are interested in checking for the usual universal riff-raff markers ... cars up on blocks in front yards, unkempt houses, broken windows, vast piles of collected junk, burnt down houses etc.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info.
As far as Salisbury goes is there any one area that is better than the rest, ie north, east, heights, downs,park. I am getting the impression the further from Elizabeth the better. Sounds like for the few hundred dollars in air fares it might be worth coming for a look around.
Can anyone tell me what some of the infrastructure projects that are happening are?

Thanks

Adam

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info.
As far as Salisbury goes is there any one area that is better than the rest, ie north, east, heights, downs,park. I am getting the impression the further from Elizabeth the better. Sounds like for the few hundred dollars in air fares it might be worth coming for a look around.
Can anyone tell me what some of the infrastructure projects that are happening are?

Thanks

Adam

I believe Salisbury would be the best of the Salisbury's to invest in as it is so close to the shopping precinct, it also has the train station, the bus station & has easy access to Semaphore Beach via Salisbury Highway/Port river expressway. You will also find small developments being constructed due to the larger remaining allotments being sold off or developed, adds a few nicer touches to the area.

However if you were to ask me my preference of the Salisbury's if I was buying a PPOR, then here would be my order of choice.

1. Salisbury Heights
2. Salisbury Park
3. Salisbury East
4. Salisbury Downs
5. Salisbury Plains
6. Salisbury
7. Salisbury North

from 3 through to 7 there is not a huge difference as all of the suburbs do have nice sections within each of the suburbs.

7. Salisbury North
We had a guy at work buy a really big, nice, relatively cheap PPoR there some years back. It was so close to work! Big pool! Fantastic place!

His (very extensive) security system was always being triggered, his fence constantly got graffitied, and he generally complained about the neighbourhood a lot.

He sold up quite quickly and built an even bigger house in Golden Grove.

Cheers

Adam

Adam, what type of property are you looking to buy? The Northern Expressway will open up plenty of the North further out than you are looking at. It could be worth your while buying a house with a high land content out a bit further that will now have 100/110km/h access right into Port Adelaide or down close into the city. I'm thinking Angle Vale, Virginia, Munno Para etc. The Expressway should add some value into these areas.

Northern Expressway

Adam,

I never like comparing established areas with new areas in terms of 'crime' statistics etc. We're buying property for the long term so the new areas may become similar. There are good parts and bad parts in Salisbury. I would be getting on the ground and having a look if I was going to be buying in there.

I'm thinking there will be huge benefit from the expressway going in. If you buy in Salisbury then it's a slow run into town down Salisbury Highway (only Highway by name!) but if you buy out further north (like Andrews Farm) then you can jump straight onto the expressway and it's virtually 90-100km/h all the way to Grand Junction Rd.

Gools

p.s. The Salisbury place might be a bit too close to the train line but I'm sure Mr Lee will be along soon to tell us otherwise.

Hi Gools

Thanks, you make a good point, our First IP was in an area south of perth, when we owned there it was new and was a pretty good area, now it has changed a lot ( in 5 yrs) , lots of run down houses, lots of graffiti and a fair bit of crime.

I have been grappling with the idea of buying site unseen but it sounds like Salisbury might not be there area to try it.
I have read some good stuff about Andrews farm so might investigate some more.
What about the RAAF base being close buy, does it cause a noise problem.

I agree that place in Salisbury looks to close to the railway, but aside from that it is a prefect example of the type of property i favour.

Cheers

I don't think the RAAF base is too busy at all. Hopefully someone will be able to fill us in on the traffic out of there but I think it's jsut a few old bombers every now and again.

I had a bit of a look at Munno Para West when the expressway was first announced but I'm tied down doing a few other things at the moment. Check where the on-ramps will be on the expressway and get close by them and reasonably close to a train station and you should be right. Lots of new places for <$300k when I was looking last. Andrews Farm would be the same.

That's what I would be doing for that price range.

Gools

What about Smith Field?
Found some brand new 3x2 villas there for 260k
Looks closer to train station but further from the expressway

I don't think the RAAF base is too busy at all. Hopefully someone will be able to fill us in on the traffic out of there but I think it's jsut a few old bombers every now and again.

I had a bit of a look at Munno Para West when the expressway was first announced but I'm tied down doing a few other things at the moment. Check where the on-ramps will be on the expressway and get close by them and reasonably close to a train station and you should be right. Lots of new places for <$300k when I was looking last. Andrews Farm would be the same.

That's what I would be doing for that price range.

Gools

I dont think its too bad - every now and then you have a Jet fly by, but not often. However, speaking to an agnet from the area not long ago, he said that the RAAF base was increasing, with a lot more army personell coming. (remember reading about this, but cant remember where) Might be a bit more busy in the near future, but you would think, all these people coming in would increase rents and house prices in the area.

What about Smith Field?
Found some brand new 3x2 villas there for 260k
Looks closer to train station but further from the expressway

Smithfield is a bad area. have a few friends who live there, so know the area. Alot of "gangs" roaming the streets at night. I woldn't like to get on a train there by myself at night....

There is a few developments happening there, but dont think it will clean the place up in the near future.

the RAAF base was increasing, with a lot more army personell coming.

Monaro, there is an extra Army Battalion (ground soldiers) coming so that shouldn't increase air traffic at all apart from, I guess, when they need to fly out and more often than not I assume they would use the commercial airlines out of Adelaide Airport instead.

So that's good. Increased demand for rental and sale demand and no increase to the plane traffic.

The RAAF base is quiet - the airport next to Mawson Lakes is the really noisy one, lots of little planes in and out all the time.

I keep hearing about the new battallion (they were talking about it 5 years ago when I still worked there) but also hear they are going to be housed largely on-site in defence housing and won't make much difference to the area. Anyone working at the RAAF base with any sense won't be living within a 30 minute drive of the place anyway. That expressway is brilliant, opens up for people living further south to drive up to the RAAF base to work, not the other way around :)

The jets at the RAAF Base rarely fly, and the prop aircraft (Orions) fly too high generally to be noisy, they're reasonably quiet anyway.

The army is coming, but they won't be accommodated that much on base. I can assure you buying in Andrews Farm area will be a good investment, a lot of the Army guys have families and will need somewhere to live nearby with decent block sizes.

Evanston Park and Strathalbyn

Hi, to Adam's point of some other areas, Ive found Evanston Park to be a very good investment,

We picked up a house and land for around $260K back in 2007, just revalued at approx $100K gain on this. It is on doorstep of gawler which has a nice country feel and also a great school which has had millions poured into its infrastructure. Add to this the coming expressway and basically occupancy and good rental rates has never been an issue for us.

Could be worthchecking out butlike salisbury there are definetely good and not so good parts.

Also found Strathalbyn (completely opposite direction going into Adelaide Hills) to be a great investment. This is a 15 min drive from Mt Barker which 5 years ago everyone flocked to for their "tree change" but is now pretty much another suburb. Strath still has a great country feel and excellent infrastructure shops etc.

Cheers Henry

Back