Buying in the US

quiggles said:
The US is my future investment patch. I'll never settle there, the separation would distress my parents (and me) too much, but I love the place and will be grateful to have every opportunity to visit it. When I travelled Europe in my youth, I often thought "This green, historical place is much more beautiful than most of Australia". I never thought "...and I could live here." Travelling the US, I thought "The folks here are really nice, there are wide brown lands and I could live here" but I still didn't add "...and some day I will." Home is where the heart is.And most of the US can't make a decent coffee.
Oh Quiggles, I can sooooooo relate to your comments (and was especially tickled by the bit I've highlighted in blue). Although I have not taken the plunge to invest in the US, I know that one day, I most certainly will as I love the country too much to not have an excuse to revisit time and time again!!! But my love for balmy beach weather would force me to invest somewhere along the west Californian coastline.

Either way, I would visit it more often, but I have to agree, their coffee (unless from Starbucks, where you will get a so-so cuppa at best) is abysmal!!! :( I mean really, where else in the world can you look straight through this faintly coloured liquid (checking out the diners at the opposite table at the same time) as the waitress refills your cup???!!!! :eek:

Okay coffee break over, back to the topic.......... :eek:

Jo ;)

Hi quiggles

Have enjoyed the last 3 months listening and reading about the USA market and it seems that everyone is jumping on your ban wagon.
I am heading over to the USA next week to give it a shot but i will be focusing on Texas area . Would like to hear from anyone who has been there or has some words of advice on the market .

Kind regards Rick

Rick Traberg said:
I am heading over to the USA next week to give it a shot but i will be focusing on Texas area . Would like to hear from anyone who has been there or has some words of advice on the market .
Hmmm....might pay you to wait another week before you head off to Texas Rick, especially considering "RITA" is making her way there at present, and if she gets there ahead of you, I'm guessing she won't leave too much standing!!!! :eek: :(

Thanks Monopoly

You are right I have already considered it. :rolleyes:
I think I'm more worried about getting there before RITA does , I don't think I want to be in her way :eek:

Texas

Spoke to my cousin in Corpus Christi last night and to a good friend in San Antonio neither area was in the path of the Hurricane.

Hi,

I had to log on as a different user due to I forgot my pass word and the email address is based on my home computer, anyway here I am. I posting from Texas over here looking at propertys . I like this place reminds me of Perth , W.A. Looks like the rest of USA investors are moving quickly with there money into Texas . So any Aussies considering , I advise to move fast . Not that bad but the sooner the beter.

Kind regards Rick

Quiggles, Awesome story, very inspiring.

This is my first post on here so hi everyone.

A couple of questions:

Do they have an equivilent of a section 32 over there that spells out rates, taxes etc?

Have you or anyone else on here used this site?
http://www.foreclosurefreesearch.com/

FWIW I'm in Raleigh, North Carolina on business at the moment and there are truck loads of opportunities here too.

Regards,

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

I've been to Raleigh, one of my mates went to Duke Uni. Its a nice place and i've actually been thinking that it would proably bea good investment market with all of the students in the area.

In terms of the documentation you rececive when you purchase a property, I can tell you what it is like in Texas, but it is possibly different in different States. Usually taxes etc are stated on the advertising material, especially if it is a block of units rather than a house. Have a look at www.loopnet.com, which is a commercial realestate site often gives a lot o detail re expenses although they tend to be understated and the rent overstated. However, once you place an offer down the vendor has 10 days to supply you with all of the documentatioin pertaining to the property, including taxes, insurance, utility bills, rent roll etc. so you have ample time to do a proper due dilligence.

Regards
Alistair

APerry said:
Hi Martyn,

I've been to Raleigh, one of my mates went to Duke Uni. Its a nice place and i've actually been thinking that it would proably bea good investment market with all of the students in the area.

In terms of the documentation you rececive when you purchase a property, I can tell you what it is like in Texas, but it is possibly different in different States. Usually taxes etc are stated on the advertising material, especially if it is a block of units rather than a house. Have a look at www.loopnet.com, which is a commercial realestate site often gives a lot o detail re expenses although they tend to be understated and the rent overstated. However, once you place an offer down the vendor has 10 days to supply you with all of the documentatioin pertaining to the property, including taxes, insurance, utility bills, rent roll etc. so you have ample time to do a proper due dilligence.

Regards
Alistair

Thanks Alister,
Unfortunately I dont think I'll have enough time this trip to do much but definately got me thinking about the area. There is a lot of IT industry here too(which is why I'm here).

Regards,

Martyn

Hi Martyn

Yes they do have Section 32 but not as I believe you are referring too.

Section 32 legislation relates to the Trust in Lending Act and refers to High Cost loans those under $50K USD.

Whilst acceptable under the FM & FM models many lenders shy away from Section 32 loans.

Researching the States

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have some good sites that they used for their research? Loopnet, etc might be good for looking at specific opportunities but I am having trouble finding generic information like house price data, average yields, etc, even with the usually helpful google search. Considering the size of the market I am surprised that I couldn't even find a US version of Residex. The only site that got close is www.houseappreciation.com which seems to focus more on school rankings than anything else.

Cheers,
Todd

Hi Guys

A little information about how hot the Buffalo market has got:

Buffalo, N.Y., Housing Market Continues Hot Pace

RISMEDIA, Oct. 20, 2005 — (KRT) — Home sales in Buffalo Niagara in September increased 5 percent from a year ago, as the housing market showed strength beyond the peak summer sales season.

The Buffalo Niagara Association of Realtors (BNAR) reported 866 homes were sold last month, the best for any September in BNAR data going back to 1994.

Another key indicator, median sale price, increased 10 percent from a year ago, to $99,000. That means half the homes sold for more than that amount, and half sold for less.

Buffalo area homes remain a relative bargain -- the national median price is $220,000, according to the National Association of Realtors.

The average sale price in Buffalo Niagara last month was $127,386, up 16 percent from a year ago, according to BNAR data. Forty-eight homes sold for $300,000 or more in September; a year ago, only 22 reached that threshold.

Pete Peterson, president of the BNAR, said he believes home buyers are moving quickly to make deals before expected increases in interest rates, a buying trend he also saw unfolding in August.

The 866 homes sold in September was the third-lowest monthly total in 2005. But sales totals routinely drop after August, and regain strength in the following spring.

The number of homes on the market continued to rise. A total of 5,372 homes were listed for sale, up 8 percent from a year ago. And though the total was down only slightly from August, it broke a string of eight straight monthly increases in the number of homes on the market.

The higher inventory seems to have contributed to fewer multiple offers on a property, though multiple offers are still happening on hot properties, Peterson said. And with more properties available, the number of them selling in 30 days or less has cooled off. “There’s always a supply and demand factor to that,” he said.

Through September, the BNAR reported the region’s home sales total was 3 percent ahead of last year’s nine-month total, which ended up a full-year record.

That reflects a national trend. The National Association of Realtors (NAR) has revised its projections upward, to a 4.2 percent full-year increase in existing-home sales in 2005.
At the start of 2005, the NAR had forecast existing-home sales would fall 2.5 percent this year, but would still generate the second-highest total on record.

News source

Regards

Research

Jimmy,
Here`s a list of useful sites that have helped me out in the bottomless pit of US investing.
Still waiting to close on 3 properties, may only end up being one, since July.
Looks like early next week is the go.

Hope the attachment works, it`s 9 pages worth, too long to paste to here.

Good Luck

She has been investigated by ASIC.

She has also been given favourable and not so favourable reports on the forum. I posted the link for its relevance to the topic at hand.

Back