Buying into Wantirna, Vic

Hi,

Can anyone share some thoughts about buying into Wantirna?

I am buying our first home and aiming for a young/new 3br unit in the areas which has been seen selling for around $500k.

With this option our cash flow is well positive and we can save up a lot for the next move. My thought is to sell back after 4-6 yrs and expect some (small) capital gain then move back to our favourite suburbs (Forest Hill/Vermont etc.).

I know Forest Hill/Vermont are just on the other side of the Eastlink but similar things over there would cost us at least $50K - $80K more.

By doing this we expect to live comfortably & low maintenance now + maintain good cash flow + build the equity at the same time. This would hopefully bring us the dream home after 5 years time (we are both progressing well career wise).

Would that type of property in these areas help us to archive this plan?

Wantirna itself appears a bit dull (especially along Wantirna Rd) to me but currently still affordable & also assessable to all amenities, good schools. Houses on Wantirna Rd looks outdated and it looks like the forgotten part of the world (Knox CC). Do you see any upside? What are others the forces driving price in this area? Anything else about Wantirna that I missed out?

Many thanks

Hi Unict,
Personally i wouldn't be honing my radar on 1 suburb,look at the surrounding burbs.Better value to be had at your entry point in surrounding burbs with a house on a decent block imo rather than a young/new 3 bed unit.
Cheers Spades.

Hi Spades.

We have been looking around for a while and coming close to a deal there. I have to be honest I have no interest in IP as I have been investing for long term mainly in shares within my super. I know buying what we like would probably be seen as a bad investment in this forum that is why I only expect just a little capital gain in future sales of the unit. It is just personal reference. Really appreciate your advices though.

Hope a local expert can share some insights about this suburb.

Back