Buying IP in 2014 - am I on the right track?

Fair enough, but you seem to be contemplating all these different plans - but I can't see what the common goal is?

What is your overall investment strategy?

You see, that's the problem, I am just starting out and have no idea other than I want to buy an investment property for long term capital gains.

Tulamalula,

This is a post that describes my chosen Investment Strategy that involves Villas & Townhouses. It maybe of interest to you as it suits what you are wanting to achieve..

The capital growth averaging (CGA) strategy I employ utilises a regular purchasing cycle similar to what Dollar Cost Averaging is to the sharemarket. The major underlying principle to its success is it relies on your "time in" the market, NOT "timing" the market, and never never sell. So in other words it does not matter whether you buy at the top of a boom or at the bottom, just so long as you purchase good quality, well located property in high density areas ( metro area capital cities), at or below fair market value, on a regular basis.

We've basically been purchasing an IP per year and to date we've built a multi $million property portfolio spread across Australia.

We've been purchasing new or near new property over older style property for several reasons, the main ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ To maximise my Non-Cash deductions
2/ To minimise my maintenance & repair costs
3/ More modern & Attractive to tenants - thereby minimising potential vacancy rates
4/ Ask a higher rent - thereby Maximising yields

Without getting into the "which is better debate, houses or Units??", I prefer to purchase Townhouses & Villas with courtyards of 30% or greater land area thereby eliminating multi story units / high rise apartments with balcony's, for several reasons. The mains ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ lower maintenance & upkeep for the tenant
2/ lower purchase or entry level into a Higher capital growth suburb area
3/ rapidly growing marketplace (starting both now & into the future) wanting these type properties. This is due the largest group of people to ever be born (being the Baby boomers and Empty nesters) starting to come into their retirement years. They will be wanting to downsize for the following main reasons - lifestyle & economic.
4/ greater tax advantages & effectiveness thus maximises cash flow.
5/ able to hold more individual properties spread across your portfolio - thereby minimising area over exposure risks by not holding all your eggs in only a few baskets, so to speak

I look to buy in areas with a historic Cap growth of 7%pa and/or are under gentrification. I look to where the Govt, Commercial, Retail, private sectors are injecting money. This ultimately beautifies the area and people like the looks so move in creating demand.

I have found this works well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Getting back to CGA, as the name suggests it averages out the capital growth achieved on individual properties with your portfolio throughout an entire property cycle, taking into account that property doubles in value every 7 - 10 years. Thats 7%pa compounding.

The easiest way to explain what Im meaning by this is to provide a basic example taking into account that all your portfolio cash flow will be serviced via Wages in the acquisition stage, Rental income, the Tax man, an LOC and/or Cashbond structure, and any other forms of income you have available.

For ease of calculation lets say we buy a property for $250k, so in 10 years its now worth $500k. Now lets say we do that each year for the next 7-10 years. Now you can quit the rat race.

So in year 11 ( 10 years since your 1st Ip) you have 250K equity in IP1 you can draw out (up to 80%) Tax free to fund your lifestyle or invest with. In year 12 you do exactly the same but instead of drawing it from IP1 you draw it from IP2. In year 13 you do the same to IP3, in year 14 to IP4, etc etc etc. You systematically go right through your portfolio year by year until you have redrawn from each property up to year 20.

So what do you do after you get year 20 I hear you say ?? hmmm..well thats where it all falls into a deep hole - You have to go get a JOB - nope only joking!

You simply go back to that first IP you purchased as its been 10 years since you drew upon it first time around and its now doubled in value ($1M) yet again - so you complete the entire cycle once again. In fact chances are you never drew each property up 80% lvr max , so not only have you got entire property cycle of growth to spend you still have what you left in it first time round that compounded big time. Now you wealth is compounding faster than you can spend it! What a problem to have

Getting back to what I said in my opening paragraph about it does not matter where you buy within a property cycle just so long as you do buy, This is because you will not be wanting to draw upon it until 10 years later after its achieved a complete cycle of growth.

Well that?s the Basic Big Picture of CGA. Once set up & structured correctly it?s a self perpetuating source of tax free income indexed for life!

For further information please follow the links to these "We've Done it" and "We've Done it Again" threads I started some time back.

If you require any clarifications just ask.

Thanks so much Rick, I actually understand most of what you are saying. I'll be giving this some further thought. Buying closer to new properties will give me flexibility as to where I buy, and I can buy more than one, even negative geared. Am just crunching some numbers right now and have realised the amount out of pocket each month is much much lower on a TH or unit.

Main concern with TH and units is glut on the market, seems so easy for a big developer to buy a scummy house on a big block of land and build 6 gazillion boxes that would compete against my properties.

I note you have a lace in cleveland. My parents are on North Straddie, so I have narrowed down my target area to somewhere bayside on the train line. If something comes up, it's a just a short ferry ride for my mum to go check things out.

Feeling very nervous but also very excited now I am getting a bit of clarity.

Main concern with TH and units is glut on the market, seems so easy for a big developer to buy a scummy house on a big block of land and build 6 gazillion boxes that would compete against my properties.

Like I said, thats where the growing market demand is - thus the reason behind villa's & townhouses being developed. We are now seeing villas/townhouses outstripping house growth due to affordability, lower maintenance / upkeep & lifestyle factors.

Cool!:) Keep Everton park, Everton Hill and McDowall in mind too.
They might turn up some gems, you never know.
I suppose places like Arana Hills, Ferny Grove are fat too west for you and Aspley too northernish?

Arana Hills and Ferny Grove are too far out for me, Asply too far north though I love Arana Hills, my friend lives there.

Perth property would be positively geared as mortgage is small and rents in this area are sky high

Turn your low mortgage PPoR into an IP and buy a new PPoR in QLD with a new and possibly high mortgage :confused:

Carina - big blocks and on the way to Bayside, my parents are in their mid-70s and live on North Stradbroke Island - if we move back to Brisbane we can rent our PPoR in Perth and it will take care of itself (will rent for $650 week). Maybe eventually build in under so I can care for my parents in the long term.

I call any new development with houses crammed on top of each other in an out of the way place a suicide estate because that's what I'd have to do if I ever found myslef living in one of them. Have you seen how close the houses are to each other?

Little boxes made of ticky tacky, little boxes all the same.

There are large as well as Cottage style blocks

You don't need to live there yourself, just rent it out?

Apparently there's 32,000 people in Ellenbrook, then there's The Vines and The Vale, Aveley. Ellenbrook will eventually become a satellite city, with a estimated population of 80,000

We've properties in a couple of Perth suburbs, all suburbs have pro's and con's (sometimes literally)

With a large and disposable income have you considered CIP?

There's a good thread here that may interest you and Mr Malula ? Growing a large portfolio, planning to retire and reducing debt

YOu know, I just had to go Google CIP, that's how clueless I am. It's amazing i made a cent on my first property.

I am just getting all confused now and I have to go see someone who knows what they are doing; the bottom line for us is - the goal - make money.

Just number crunched a 2 bed unit in spring hill, conservatively - will be out of pocket $651 a month after paying everything, and getting rent (I factored in a low rent).

I don't even know if this is a good or a bad thing, all I know is we can easily contribute $3000 out of pocket per month to properties and things that may go wrong, eg maintenance/repairs etc.

As for how much properties would save on tax, I have no idea, I have an accountant - think I need to make an appointment with professionals.

Any suggestions? For a educated and smart woman, I feel extremely dumb right now.

47 years old, $200k p/a income, 2 kids, Hubby is an engineer in oil and gas, $600k lazy equity

Lots of options :D

Speaking of Super, have you looked at SMSF's ?

I think you need to keep researching and I would also look in your own backyard as Perth is still a good option if you secure the right property. Persistence is the key, anyone can buy a property but buying a winner, growth within 6-12 months requires more work.

If I was in your position I would be looking at what is the next area to move in Syd as IMO its a given ... continued growth, identify the next pocket. West Syd started 2 years ago and its crazy at the moment, so look at the experts people who know Syd like the the back of their hand, ie propertyunity who is a BA and finding deals every day of the week and others who are making money in Syd today.

As far as booming markets go, its not a matter of which is best townhouses/units/houses its what is in demand and they should always be considered separately. A suburb may simultaneously have shortage of houses on the market and a surplus of units listed for sale and they could be trending in different directions. Never assume that a suburb's houses and units have the same types of markets, as they can be very different,.

For example one of my properties in Nerang, QLD, there is currently a shortage of houses, so this market is now starting to rise, however there is an oversupply of units.

MTR

Last edited:
ie propertyunity who is a BA and finding deals every day of the week

???

This is doing my head in, I do need to do a lot more research, am not ready to buy for three more months, unless something stupendous (like a penthouse overlooking Bondi for $100K) trots up to me and slaps me in the face.

Market I know most about is Brisbane, Perth, a little, everywhere else, nope.

ie propertyunity who is a BA and finding deals every day of the week

???

This is doing my head in, I do need to do a lot more research, am not ready to buy for three more months, unless something stupendous (like a penthouse overlooking Bondi for $100K) trots up to me and slaps me in the face.

Market I know most about is Brisbane, Perth, a little, everywhere else, nope.

Tulamalula, this post maybe of help to you purchasing interstate.

This is how we have built our multi $million residential property portfolio spread across Australia over the past 14 years.

I fly interstate, hire a car and stay in motels usually for a week to 10 days. I make these bookings online usually 4-6 weeks prior to traveling.

A mobile phone, digital camera & a notebook/laptop with internet access are mandatory tools to take with you.

In between purchases, prior to me flying I do all my MACRO level due diligence via the internet. This provides me a couple of areas to do my MICRO due diligence once I hit the ground interstate.

I do not make any property inspection appointments prior to departure.

Upon arrival I usually spend the first 2-3 days driving around getting to know the areas I picked out from my MACRO due diligence prior to arrival.

From there , I decide the area that I prefer and then I hit streets, phone, internet, email and agents inspecting all the properties I can over the following week.

If I inspect an IP that's exceptional & fits my purchasing criteria I will put in an offer there and then (subject to conditions) prior to my departure back home, otherwise I will return home and over the following couple of weeks make a decision to purchase on the information Ive collected .

Offers & purchasing correspondence is done by, phone, fax, email and overnight express postal bags.

With all our interstate & local IP's, we employ Property Managers to look after everything to do with all the day to day operations of our properties.

All insurances, council & water rates notices, repairs & maintenance bills etc get posted directly to our property managers who then pay all of them from rental income collected each month.

At the end of the month my property managers deposits all rental incomes direct into our bank account and forward a management statement that lists all incomings & outgoings.

I then enter the data from the monthly PM statements & bank statements directly into my Property Portfolio's Accountancy Program.

At the end of the financial year I email a report from the program of all our portfolio incomes & outgoings directly to our accountant who does our tax returns and lodges electronically to ATO.

Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps.

That makes sense, but limits me to Perth as I have two small children and can't spend a week away from them. I certainly won't be taking a 3 year old and a 1 year old on property inspections with me! I could do Brisbane as we have family holidays there and my mum could look after them. I'm thinking a buyer's agent may be the way to go, given this will be our first IP.

I think I need to focus on Brisbane and maybe give Perth another look, though I'm not fond of the over inflated prices in Perth, nor every cashed up bogan out there becoming an overnight property investment guru.

All PM will be done through an agent, I don't have the time nor inclination to do it myself while the kids are little, that's something I will look at taking over myself in 3 years when they are both at school. (My kids are both rather gregarious and very attention seeking :)

That makes sense, but limits me to Perth as I have two small children and can't spend a week away from them. I certainly won't be taking a 3 year old and a 1 year old on property inspections with me! I could do Brisbane as we have family holidays there and my mum could look after them. I'm thinking a buyer's agent may be the way to go, given this will be our first IP.

I think I need to focus on Brisbane and maybe give Perth another look, though I'm not fond of the over inflated prices in Perth, nor every cashed up bogan out there becoming an overnight property investment guru.

All PM will be done through an agent, I don't have the time nor inclination to do it myself while the kids are little, that's something I will look at taking over myself in 3 years when they are both at school. (My kids are both rather gregarious and very attention seeking :)

If I was in your shoes I would be purchasing into the Brisbane market place as I believe that's poised for the next growth wave to come through.

I first entered the Brisbane market 10 years ago and have purchased quite a few properties there over the years since.

I started building our portfolio with a young family ( a 1 year old with another the following year) same as you and didnt let it stop me.

I guess it depends on how badly you really want to achieve your goals. I used my family as the reason why I need to do it rather than why I cant do it.

Today that decision has not only set my financial future up but also that of my young family's as well.

Success is 80% mindset x 20% strategy...so in other words how you think is four times more important than how you plan to do it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
You mentioned concern over the state of your superannuation... so it sounds like that is the overall goal - ensure you have enough in retirement to live a reasonably comfortable life. In this regard, have you pondered the option of setting up a SMSF (Self Managed Super Fund) with you and your wife as members? You could pool yours and your wife's superannuation monies together and use it to buy property. The SMSF pays for deposit (20%), stamp duty and buying costs, and the SMSF gets an 80% loan for the remainder of the property price.

Done carefully, it can be a very powerful leverage tool.

Hi Jac

I am the wife :)

I have a whole $230 in superannuation - yeah, you're all going to be so jealous of me I know!

Hubby has a good one that actually went up during the GFC and from memory is still showing a good return.

SMSF is way out of my comprehension to understand right now, but something I have ratting around in the back of my brain. Re super, to have enough to live off at retirement we'd draw down on the super and sell off a property - hence the need to but some IPs well before retirement.

Rixter, this IP will go ahead, infact goal this year is one in Brisbane and one in Perth.

I am the wife :)

Apologies !!!! Red face for me. I missed that reference.

I have a whole $230 in superannuation - yeah, you're all going to be so jealous of me I know!

I started writing a different response and then realised there was no "k" on the end of the $230.

SMSF is way out of my comprehension to understand right now, but something I have ratting around in the back of my brain. Re super, to have enough to live off at retirement we'd draw down on the super and sell off a property - hence the need to but some IPs well before retirement.

It's completely OK to have something rattling around your head for a while. Listen to opinions and experiences from a bunch of people and professionals, and cherry pick the bits that are relevant to you to assemble a plan that works for you.

A few things to ponder:

A property owned "outside of" superannuation will, when sold, be subject to Capital Gains Tax calculated at your marginal rate. eg if the profit is an amount that places you in the top tax bracket, then you'll pay top whack on tax for the gain. A property owned "inside of super" is also subject to CGT when sold. Presently, these rates are 15% if sold within year 1. 10% thereafter, or 0% if sold in retirement phase.

A property that costs you $651 per month to hold.... that is $150 per week. It will take several years of rent increases before the property goes cashflow-neutral let alone has a surplus so it can start paying itself off.

Ponder the matter of selling a property in retirement. Understand how long that pile of money would last you before it is gone (taking into account the rising cost of living each year, and that the pile of money will no longer be earning rent that has a hike each year). It's important to be aware of the difference between holding a property and selling it, since once you are in retirement phase, there is little that can be done to rectify a decision that didn't work out in your favour.

It is permissable to "donate" money into super. There are occasions where this is merit to this idea, given that in retirement, income earned from a super fund is taxed at a lesser rate than income earned outside of super.

There you go... I've added to the dilemma of things to ponder!!! :D

Definitely no K on the end of the $230 - it''s $230.00 - actually up from $200.00 over the past 15 years :)

Just started looking at CGT and trying to get my head around it, thanks!

Also realised on my $651 I hadn't added in PM or mortgage insurance ;(

Eek ok. Maybe allow yourself a bit more pondering time to define what you're trying to achieve. It's possible that none of the properties you are considering will get you there.

Definitely no K on the end of the $230 - it''s $230.00 - actually up from $200.00 over the past 15 years :)

It's a wonder that fees haven't eroded it

How did you get to 47 with practically no super? Or have you always worked for yourself and not put money in?

Back