Buying off the plan in Melbourne

I went to Home expo in Sydney the other day to look for another IP and met a few companies that providing 'long term' relationship with clients that will help to achieve their investment goals / retire asap with passive income.

Anyway these companies actually offering off the plan apartments/house and land package. They offered me :
1) Tower melbourne (melbourne CBD) and
http://www.towermelbourne.com.au/
2) STK apartment (in st kilda)
http://stkapartments.com.au/

My budget max 450k with 20% deposit.

I have following questions:
1) What are your experience if you're using this similar companies? I assumed these companies basicly just want to sell their properties, and not helping you achieve your goal.
2) Is buying off the plan better than buying existing?
3) Strata and stamp duty are pretty low, claimed the agency.
Strata are approx $3000/year, that's pretty low compare to Sydney with
similar criteria. And stamp duty were calculated at only around $2000+
4) They only have a few 'unpopular' apartment units available in tower
melbourne. My budget only allow to buy 1bed/1bath/0 carpark and all of
them are having privacy screening window, view
is blocked by other building. Of course the price is cheaper in comparison
to non-blocked one. But then again, what's the point buying at highest
residential apartment in melbourne , while your view is blocked
Maybe you guys could give me a different perspective from an investor
mind :)
5) STK apartment in St Kilda
They really insist that this will be good IP for me base on my financial
assesment with them and their research . I've been to Melbourne once
and i'm not really sure if this suburb is good for my IP. The apartment are
offered around $441k for 1bed/1bath/1carpark. What are your thought
about this particular apartment and St Kilda suburb?

run away!

of course they want a long term relationship, they would be milking you dry.

hard to think of worse "investments"

if you really want to buy that rubbish I will buy it for you and get a $30k kickback and we can go halves, that should tell you enough

if you need help buying use a buyers agent that YOU pay to look after your interests not the developers

buy something established not in the CBD, st Kilda rd, southbank or docklands

Agree with Big Tone.

The last OTP valuation I arranged for a Melb property came back $50k under purchase price....and it's not uncommon.

There are often big mark ups on these properties - with quite a few people pocketing big commissions.

Cheers

Jamie

They're property marketeers and only have the developer's interest at heart. Do not go down this route. You have been warned.

Agree with the others. Vaccinate yourself from such companies.

Always ask yourself this question. Why would they need to be marketing Melbourne apartments OTP at a Sydney expo? For the same reason they market and promote Oracle and Soul tower apartment on the Gold Coast at Melbourne and Sydney Expos.

Local knowledge tends to narrow their target audience whereas an out of towner may be more easily convinced.

Don't just run...........sprint.

For 450 K go buy a house with granny flat potential in Sydney's west or a second hand two bedder in Sydney's middle west ring......Parramatta precinct or even closer in and with the change go and reward yourself with a depreciating consumer item.....new car (not investment advice of course).

There are people that can and do well out of OTP purchases (Intrinsic Value from this forum) but you need to know your market well and exit demographic for when you sell.

Thanks guys for your feedbacks

Interesting. I would thought that CBD or docklands would perform well like Sydney CBD or Darling Harbour. Care to explain?

@ Propertunity & Jake Milne
I do agree that these type of companies would be leaning toward selling their own property than helping clients reach their goal.

Interesting. I would thought that CBD or docklands would perform well like Sydney CBD or Darling Harbour. Care to explain?

@ Propertunity & Jake Milne
I do agree that these type of companies would be leaning toward selling their own property than helping clients reach their goal.

The last OTP valuation I arranged for a Melb property came back $50k under purchase price....and it's not uncommon.
Last time i asked for top up for my PPOR, my bank actually value it way under market value (70k lower than 490k). So when you said 50k under, that is market valuation or bank valuation?

@Player
I totally agree with you that Sydney would be better. But they are really expensive at the moment. And beside i would like to diversify my property to other city

Last edited:
Last time i asked for top up for my PPOR, my bank actually value it way under market value (70k lower than 490k). So when you said 50k under, that is market valuation or bank valuation?
A bank ordered valuation (carried out by an independent valuer) for a property being purchased.

Cheers

Jamie

A quick google search would reveal hundreds of articles about the oversupply of inner city apartments in Melb/ Docklands. You should really do some research before moving any further.

Just because the CBD and docklands will always be convenient and popular places to live doesn't mean the property values will increase.

The main problem is an over supply of apartments in these areas. As other new complexes are built, your apartment is likely to be worth less (in real terms) over time as fashions change, technology improves and your place becomes old and dated in comparison.

Thanks guys for your feedbacks

Back