Buying the whole block of flats / units

Yadreamin

I have taken the liberty of starting a new thread so the 'whole block' discussion didn't get buried within Gordon's worst nightmare:

I didn't "quote" paste this, but you said -

............."l have never looked at buying a block of units.So tell me if one buys every unit in the complex .
who then owns the land?
who has to run the body corp if there is one?
or do you look at only buying non strata units?
l hope l make sense here but l really want a run down on how this type of ip works.
cheers yadreamin:" ...........

(Ahem) Allow me?

OK. If we decide that 'units' means villas, or buildings with their own foundations, and 'flats' means apartments which are part of a building and which may or may not be multi-storied:

A Body Corporate is simply the incorporated body (group) of owners of the properties which form part of the Plan of Subdivision of a previous, larger (Parent) title.

As soon as the Plan of Subdivision is approved and issued through the Titles Office, the Body Corporate comes into legal existence. It has the same number as the P/S number.

The Body Corporate then has to conform to certain legal requirements eg first Meeting within 15 months, Annual General Meetings each 12 months, BC to hold certain insurances, levies and accounts of BC required to be paid, etc

OK. So, say I decide to buy Unit 10, 53 Park Avenue, Marlborough.

A year later I buy Unit 3, then later on 8 and 2, etc and finally I own all ten units.

Each unit owns its own footprint anyway as shown on the Certificate of Title, but the Common Areas are owned in an undivided way by all owners with equal benefit and equal liability.

Now that I own all ten units, I don't have to 'actively' have BC meetings, but I still must meet all other legal requirements such as insurance, public liability insurance, etc

Say the property I now own AND CONTROL has a large area of common land, perhaps because the subdivision was done when councils would not permit more than four units per block, no matter how large the block was.

Can I do a further plan of subdivision? If it meets with council requirements, go for it.

In other words, the common property remains the common property. The BC may very well decide to subdivide the land and share the proceeds with the existing members of the BC. If you are the only member, yadreamin, then lucky you.

The BC is a legal structure which can be held accountable for the feasance or nonfeasance of certain requirements. You may sometimes hear people say 'Oh, well there's no BC', as if that's a good thing, then you find there is no sinking fund, no insurance over common property, no nuthin, and that is certainly not a good thing.

You can't buy non-strata-ed units in the same way. If no separate title has been issued, how would ownership change hands. Lenders hate Company Owned share flats (that would be a very long post - just don't go there) as the lenders security is very low quality. In other words, you own shares in the Company which owns the property and you are allocated exclusive right to Unit 10, and the easement rights of passages, common property etc. The Service Company then maintains the property and you have shares in that, too. If the lender has to sell, quell horror! The Companies often had really obscure membership criteria eg only retired Methodist ministers could buy shares, or only ladies with pink hair, etc. Therefore, the lender may 'seize' the property (shares) but who can they sell them to to recover their money?

Of course, you could buy the whole Company, and when you own the whole block, then do a subidivision and have the property strata titled. Many fortunes have been made doing that!

So the simple answer is, if you own the whole property then it is yours. Good luck!

Cheers

Kristine

Hi Kristine

Just as an aside you don't have to own all the units to control the BC. You could simply buy sufficient units to give you the majority. Be aware that in NSW one owner can't have the majority as no matter how many units owned the maximum vote value is 50%.

But you could always buy in a number of companies/ structure with those structures passing their proxies to your stooges.

In fact when I buy individual units in the same block I always use a different structure then the rest for at least one of them, just in case I want to take control.

Cheers

Hi HandyAndy

Yes, back to the regional differences issue again.

Laws are different for each of the States. I'm not sure if the Company Share setup was very popular elsewhere, but it certainly was widespread in Victoria for a long time.

Very confusing situation, mainly cash buyers, devil of a job to unravel, yet often very attractive buildings which people wanted to buy into.

Straight out sub-divisions (Sub-Divisions Act 1989) with a simple Body Corp structure has certainly simplified matters for all concerned.

However, there is still an idea that the 'Body Corporate' is some sort of external authority hell bent on making owners lives miserable.

Perhaps in some of the larger apartment towers this happens. When I was a BC Manager, the bane of my life was Monday mornings when calls would come in such as 'they had visitors on the weekend and they parked in my spot!'

However, the great majority run quite well, mainly involving themselves with the insurance and grounds maintenance and leaving well enough alone.

If NSW law limits voting rights, how then does that work when, say, one person owns five units and the only other owner owns one unit. If they are deadlocked over an issue, is there any external authority which they can appeal to?

Does the Chair have a casting vote?

But NSW has - or is working toward - compulsory acquisition within developments, for when the development has become obsolete and one or a minority of owners refuse to agree to the redevelopment.

Anyway, it makes it easier to just own all of them!

Cheers

Kristine

voting rights re Body Corporate

Regarding voting rights

Subdivision (Body Corporate) Regulations(Vic) 1989:

PART 6.609

Q: Are votes related to the value of the lots?
A: 609.1 One vote for each lot

6.610 - chairperson has a casting vote

6.611 - can only vote if fees are paid up to date

etc

So, depending on where you buy (which State) be sure to read the relevant Act and understand how it applies to you.

Of course, this does not apply if the whole block is already under a single title.

It is possible for a block to be strata titled- and if your plan is to sell, then it's possibly worth while doing.

That may depend on fire rating. A strata titled unit may require fire rating (or compliance with other regulations) which is not required for a block.

It may also be the case that rates will be higher for strata titled units than for a block. That's certainly the case for my block- and it doesn't really make sense, as the services required from the council will be the same no matter who holds the title. (weill maybe a little more paperwork, but not thousands per annum).

Geoff

You make some good points here.

Do I take it that your 'of course - does not apply' referred to voting? Geoff!! Don't you treat yourself and family to a tax deductable Annual General Meeting so you can all move and vote on various motions and sign off on the minutes of last year?

Keep in mind, of course, that my introduction of 'buying one with the lot' referred to the process of gradually buying into a complex, as an alternate plan to buying all over the country just for want of a better course of action.

Regarding municipal - and water - rates:

Rates are applied per tenement, not per title.

If you look closely at your rates notice, you will see that Garbage Collection is probably at least 1/3 of the charge, then there will be the Municipal Charge, another 1/3, and the balance will be based on 'cents in the dollar' of capital improved or unimproved value, depending on the rating system of your local Council.

Therefore, the garbage applies per tenement, the Charge really is a levy for use of roads and other infrastructure, and the actual rates are for council budgetry requirements and provision of services such as electricity for street lighting.

The block young Ian is negotiating to buy is not strata (? what's the word? strated - doesn't sound right!) titled, just one rather large building which was originally built as flats (just after the Boer War by the look of them), but would certainly not meet building requirements to be subdivided, yet municipal and water rates treat each tenement as a separate property.

Working on the budget, this blows the % returns out of the water. There is no such thing as a free lunch, after all!

However, I am convinced that multi-tenanted property is the way to go. Over time, Ian (read: me!) can gradually bring the standard of accommodation up to a more modern level. Provided the structure is kept in good repair the presentation of the building is straightforward, and the basic premise of spreading the income reliance / risk means that the internal refurbishment can proceed without complete disruption to income during that time.

The issue of 'control' implies a controlling majority. My argument is that a controlling majority is worth diddly squat. As long as other people can push or block issues or will or wont contribute money to the property, whether you own 20 out of 25 is of little consequence. However, if you own all six, you are the Duke of York, standing with your 10,000 men on the top of the hill and devil take the hindmost!

Wow! I'm getting all fired up about this. Maybe I should be looking for another block - why should Ian have all the fun?

Cheers

Kristine

Rates may be a council thing.

On the two occasions when I have enquired, via separate law firms, I have been told that rates would be $400 pa more expensive (3.5 weeks rent) by having the units strata titled. So it's of little value to me to have them as strata unless I really want to sell them.

Hi Geoff & Kristine

Geoff - the advantage to having them strated is the situation of raising loans against them. Block of flats is seen as less desirable by lending authorities. (harder to sell in quiete times) with them given a commercial status. So as a result I pay more interest than a normal home loan. Contra strata unit normal home loan.

Kristine - Control is important as even simple issues that you want done can be voted down by idiots, simply because they turned up.

An example is a block with two stair wells. I have a unit on each stair well but all the other people at the meeting only live on the one stair well (only two others turned up). Anyway the second stairwells intercom had been vandalised and I wanted to get it fixed, they outvoted me based on a deadlock 2:2 votes with the manager abstaining. :(

In this same meeting one of the other owners complained about the bars on his front door that a tenants of his had installed expecting it to be a strata responsibility. An order was issued to him to organise to remove the bars. :D

The other owner wanted to build a car port for his exclusive use on common property.

Neither of them really understood essential repairs or the exrtent of the BC responsibilities.

By the way I had the intercom fixed by sending out a paper voting sheet to all owners which I was able to control.

In owning a majority the manager will vote your way as you can remove them at anytime or simply run the strata yourself. Either way as long as you are prepared to fund any changes then you can carry on. Remember that any fund you forward will also be debited to the units who refuse to pay and in the end you can sell them up.

Cheers

Originally posted by handyandy
Either way as long as you are prepared to fund any changes then you can carry on. Remember that any fund you forward will also be debited to the units who refuse to pay and in the end you can sell them up.

That's one of the big decisions. Do you start spending money to fix the block up and make other owners share the pain. Or do you stop spending all money to drive the acquisition costs of the other units down.

My preference is to share the expense on essential but invisible repairs (plumbing, sinking fund etc).

Regards

Paulzag
Dreamspinner

Originally posted by handyandy
Hi Geoff & Kristine

Geoff - the advantage to having them strated is the situation of raising loans against them. Block of flats is seen as less desirable by lending authorities. (harder to sell in quiete times) with them given a commercial status. So as a result I pay more interest than a normal home loan. Contra strata unit normal home loan.
Thanks Paul.

The valuer is in there today- I have asked for a separate estimate as strata titled units. The last estimate was $40K- I did not feel the the extra $27K I could borrow was worth the extra $3.6K in rates.

There are also fire rating issues with strata titled- there's a possibility that extra structural work would be required. The valuer is aware of these issues, and will advise me.

There is the possibility that as strata titled units, I could go to 80% LVR, rather than be limited by the 70% LVR I have now because it is regarded as commercial.

Back