Buying under a Power Line

Hi Guys,
This is my first post in this forum and I need advice.
I have seen this house which fits very nicely in my criteria (suburb, price, size of house and block, good school etc). Only concern is that there is a 'High Tension Power line' passing above the backyard fence (power line passes over the plot).

Personally, I do not have any issues with the power line however I know that few investors shy away from houses near to power lines. I am planning to use this property as IP for initial 2-3 years and then as PPOR.

Can you please advice:
1. How negative is this factor (High Tension Power Line)
2. How much discount should I be asking over the listed price in case I decide to go ahead with this property?
3. Any other concerns/advice.

Thanks Guys. Will appreciate a quick response.

I would not buy under one of these either to live in or to rent.

To much risk for me.

I am not good at searching, but somebody may link a fairly recent thread that discussed this at length so that you can have a read of it.

Anybody????

Would keep me looking for another place.

Even if it was safe it is still unsightly.

Plenty more places out there to buy.

Hey Wylie,

I am assuming that this house has caught your eye, as it might be in an area that otherwise you might have been priced out of? If that's the case, I think the price might have already been 'discounted' given the power lines.

Just an assumption thou, no disrespect intended.

Personally, I wouldn't be buying near the lines - but might be good to call the council/energy provider, and see if it's scheduled for underground cabling? You never know, you might just get lucky!

Cheers
AV

Hi Amazing Venice. Wylie here..... I was replying to the original poster and not contemplating buying. Just thought I had best clarify before we all get confused :D.

I would not buy under one of these either to live in or to rent.

To much risk for me.

I am not good at searching, but somebody may link a fairly recent thread that discussed this at length so that you can have a read of it.

Anybody????

Agree with Wylie, I would not buy either, find something else.

Regards, Sheryn

em radiation isnt a great thing to be exposed to long term...........

The inverse square law may help a bit depending on the actual KV going through and the distance from the power lines
But u know, regardless of the reality and the science, perception is reality ......

ta
rolf

Thinking of buying under a HV power line?

I have one word of advice.

Don't

If you do, you may find it difficult to borrow more than 80%.

cheers

RightValue

Thinking of buying under a HV power line?

I have one word of advice.

Don't

If you do, you may find it difficult to borrow more than 80%.

cheers

RightValue

I agree with you

Science and LMI dont work togetherm coz LMI works off the reality of saleability...........actuallyl LMI is a rule to itself, and we are best to assume that anything that doesnt fall into the normal scheme is bad karma

ta
rolf

I just saw 2 ads today that brought this thread to mind....

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=51612338&s=vic&tm=1265594388

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=51612338&s=vic&tm=1265594388

Very close to each other, except one has some *big* powerlines (500KV things) going through the "backyard).

Similar price - but look at the land sizes :D

Which would you buy? :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

would conisder the 10 acres however dont like radiation either damn looks good to grow fishman like on the simpsons

I wouldn't go near it personally.

Apart from the possible health issues you are going to be most likely restricted when selling the property as an 80% LVR is about all that's possible when it comes to financing. You have just taken away a fair slice of the market right there. You'd need to stay away from any lender who wanted to do a valuation on it also as most likely there would be some adverse comments contained in the report.

Back