Buying while I'm overseas

Gonna hop overseas for couple of weeks, can I still print out the contract/scan it/email it back to the agent? In NSW if that helps.

Should be fine - I've dealt with my fair share of o/s and interstate clients and this is standard process.

Cheers

Jamie

It shouldn't be a problem but the bank might require an original contract when they settle so ideally you'd want to sign, scan, email, and then post the hand signed originals back to your conveyancer and estate agent.

Sales contracts won't be much of a problem, can't remember the last time I've had a lender request an original.

If you will be overseas all the way up to settlement, be careful in remembering that the lender will generally require original signed contacts, State mortgage doc etc.

Depends on the state. if NSW I would want a physical contract to exchange.

Transfers and mortgages need original signatures - although a solicitor could sign for the buyer in some states, for the transfer. you have to be careful about the mortgage witnessing requirements as this will be difficult if you are overseas.

Not sure about NSW but in some other states (e.g. WA) you need to be identified in person by the solicitor and bank. You can do it before you go.

Blacky

Have exchanged in NSW and QLD over email (with original contract to follow) with no issue. As Terry said, other docs such as loan agreement, mortgages transfers etc do require originals so factor that into your settlement time-frame.

Looks like I'll be making an offer while overseas, the real estate agent have been instructed not to accept offers till the first open house. Will be back by the time it settles...will be on the phone while at Disneyland :p

Thank you all.

Looks like I'll be making an offer while overseas, the real estate agent have been instructed not to accept offers till the first open house. Will be back by the time it settles...will be on the phone while at Disneyland :p

Thank you all.

Can't let little things like holidays get in the way of investing. :)

(I did buy a property randomly while overseas one time - the hardest part was trying to get the agent to understand that I was an Australian overseas on holiday, not a foreigner!)

Yeah been waiting for something like this particular house appeared/location/price everything is perfect within our specs. The conveyancer did suggest to grab the contract, sign it, attach the 0.025% deposit cheque there and get someone to hand it in on the day.

I guess the down side is, that agent can walk around telling people here's a firm offer, beat it and I won't be there to respond (in real time anyway).

Your conveyancer is the professional who should explain this all to you...

Please note that apart from the letter of law, each selling agency / seller's solicitor may have a different policy what they will accept and what they won't. Ask them or better get your legal representative to do it for you.

Have fun in Disneyland :)

I've been buying most of my properties whilst overseas, be sure to have a power of attorney pointed!
This will cover you in all circumstances..if worst comes to worst and thigs go pear shape, there's nothing worst then being out of the country and helpless!

Back