Buying with development potential??? - Adelaide

I know this is probably a stupid question. But a famous person once said that "the stupid question is the question that is never asked", :D so here goes.
I have been reading up a lot on this forum about buying in and around the Ingle farm, Pooraka and surrounding areas. A lot of the comments/ views seem to be that you should buy a house on a block that has development potential.
But what I want to know is what constitutes a block that can be developed?
Do you have to have a minimum frontage ?
Do you have to have a minimum land size?
What are the requirements to be able to do a battle axe development whilst retaining the front house?
I've looked all through the forums but this is where I seem to be stuck.
Another question I would like to ask is the Pooraka & Ingle farm a good area to invest in? I want to buy and hold for the long term with the option to develop down the track.
Budget would be approx. $350k
All feedback is welcomed, I will be visiting Adelaide next week so also intend to have a look around whilst in the area

Council development plan will tell you all the above.

But note most look for the easy to see blocks, these blocks will usually come at a premium if advertised well.

Speaking to a decent architect, town planner or direct with council will give you insight to what might be able to be done.

But note most look for the easy to see blocks, these blocks will usually come at a premium if advertised well.

Yup, I like when the vendor decides to help themselves to all the development profit without doing anything! :eek::(

Yup, I like when the vendor decides to help themselves to all the development profit without doing anything! :eek::(

Yes had a few discussions with REA around the asking price when they're trying to get a premium price. Even went to the length of breaking down all the costs... he ended up agreeing, but vendor wanted more $$ because... 'its a development block'

If it's that easy do it yourself... Needless to say block hadn't sold 4 months later.

Adelaides a bit lower density than the other capitals, so there's not really many 3, 4, 5 unit site places going around.

However there's duplex opportunities literally everywhere.

Each council sets its own rules on what will be allowed in their areas and have certain sections of suburbs which may be more generous. This isn't published anywhere that I could find, you need to call or visit them for details.

As a guide, look for blocks greater than 600 with a width greater than 20 and go from there. You'll soon be able to spot them, compare them and look at what new houses / townhouses are going for in the area.

i just bought 2 down south (onkaparinga council)...development seems pretty generous in the medium density areas (tho the policy is under review atm), but going to try and get DA in on one and see how i go

Back