Buying without pest and building inspection

Hi

I am interesting on a property but the seller doesn't want me to make the offfer conditioned to a Building and pest inspection. They said they have already reduce the price of the house and they are not going to fix any detail. I was ok with that, I just wanted to do it to make sure there are no major structure problems or pest problems.
Anyway they said that they cannot sell it subject to inspections. So I agree to go myself today and have another look before signing the contract.

I will try to have a look underneath the house as well as on the roof, but I am not sure what to look for. Internally the house looks fine, the kitchen and the bathroom has been renovated an it has boards all over the house and they look fine expect for a couple of loose boards. The house it a 40 years old brick house

What do you think I should do.

My first thought would be to walk away unless it's an absolute bargain and you can afford for there to be structural defects. If the owner will not accept b&p it screams that there is a defect in the property. There is no other reason to not allow it, it's no skin off their back to let an inspector through for an hour.

If you are going to proceed without b&p, i would take a building inspector with you when you go for your look at the property. No need to do a formal report, just get them to walk through with you to make sure there are no major problems.

It doesn't need to be a condition on the contract. Get the B&P done on your own dime before you put an offer in. Then you'll be putting in an offer with the conditions already met! (Assuming the reports come in OK)

However, if they won't even let the inspector in (as part of the sales process) then I'd be starting to worry...

Hi

I am interesting on a property but the seller doesn't want me to make the offfer conditioned to a Building and pest inspection.

I rarely make offers subject to inspection - I commission my own inspection before making the offer.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi

Thanks all for your quick answers.
I have organized an ispection with a verbal report before submitting the proper offer. Let's hope they don't find any major problems

Hi

Thanks all for your quick answers.
I have organized an ispection with a verbal report before submitting the proper offer. Let's hope they don't find any major problems

That seems like a good thing. now as I would have run a mile if the vendor didn't want inspections done.

Getting inspections done before making an offer... I imagine that in a hot market the property might be snapped up before you even make the offer?

I prefer to offer, then do P&B during cooling off period.

Getting inspections done before making an offer... I imagine that in a hot market the property might be snapped up before you even make the offer?

I prefer to offer, then do P&B during cooling off period.

So true, specially with the sydney market how it is at the moment. By the time you get your inspection and you've read it, the property's already gone!

termites galore

Hi
I
I am interesting on a property but the seller doesn't want me to make the offfer conditioned to a Building and pest inspection. They said they have already reduce the price of the house and they are not going to fix any detail. I was ok with that, I just wanted to do it to make sure there are no major structure problems or pest problems.
Anyway they said that they cannot sell it subject to inspections. So I agree to go myself today and have another look before signing the contract.

I will try to have a look underneath the house as well as on the roof, but I am not sure what to look for. Internally the house looks fine, the kitchen and the bathroom has been renovated an it has boards all over the house and they look fine expect for a couple of loose boards. The house it a 40 years old brick house

What do you think I should do.

I just put an offer in on a property that looked just fine. It was at Hammondville in sydney. The building and pest reports were enough to make me run for the hills. I am very cross about the whole thing as the house has a severe termite infestation and yet I lost my holding deposit. I offered the report to the owner so he can take remedial action but he doesn't care. Now another poor person will waste their holding deposit. It is a very unfair process. I did not reneg on the deal as in my opinion the property is not in a saleable condition. The property is in Meehan Ave, Hammondville so do not touch it with a barge pole.

I just put an offer in on a property that looked just fine. It was at Hammondville in sydney. The building and pest reports were enough to make me run for the hills. I am very cross about the whole thing as the house has a severe termite infestation and yet I lost my holding deposit. I offered the report to the owner so he can take remedial action but he doesn't care. Now another poor person will waste their holding deposit. It is a very unfair process. I did not reneg on the deal as in my opinion the property is not in a saleable condition. The property is in Meehan Ave, Hammondville so do not touch it with a barge pole.

I thought you would have a clause in the contract that it must pass inspections?

I almost brought a house the other month without getting an building & pest report done but my conveyancer convinced me otherwise. Luckly i got the report becuase it was an absolute shocker!! Turned me off the house and the area in general. The house i was looking at was approx 130 years old. For the sake of $800 it could end up saving you thousands. These reports can bring up issues that you might not be able to pick up on yourself.

Before been able to go with the inspector for a final inspection I lost the property to a better and unconditional offer. Today I talked with the agent and he told me that the new buyer is still trying to get a second inpection from the buyers, so it smells like something dodgy is there.

Anyway, still on the search

Tess85. How does the colling off period work (in Victoria)? I though that you have 3 days but you will loose the holding deposit or 0.5 % of the value of the property whichever is high. Is that correct?

can you go a bit further on how extensive the termite damage was ?, people immediatley get scared of the words termite, asbestos when it comes to their homes...every home in sydney will be at one point attacked by termites, how much damage it causes obviously varies.

I would ALWAYS get one done.

I put in an offer subject to...on a place a few months ago. Got a pest and building before signing contract, came back with major termite risk and bad damage from previous termite attack needing structural repair $$$ later found out not first to find this out :(
Luckily ran a mile... better, cheaper property then came my way :)

Surely part of your due diligence to do when buying property? Unless you or a friend are a builder and pest inspector and can do it yourself.

Back