Byford (WA)- Time for a Tree Change?

Hi Everyone! Has anyone purchased any blocks or properties in this area?

From my research of what has happened to Canningvale, this area seems to be a very affordable option to get in a beautiful area. It's very green, lush but close enough to the city for people to live. There's rumblings amonst REA that a lot of the older area will be rezoned allowing for higher density, not know whether this is true or not?!

Any thoughts or insights would be very welcomed.

May money follow your every investment movement.

Prak

Hi Prak,

Purchased a block in Byford back in Feb last year. Since then it has gone up over 100k. I have heard that some landholders in Byford are not selling to developers as they are waiting for even more money. The actual estates seem to be quite well spaced and so that the area is still retaining some of its rural beauty. I have heard that there are quite a lot of people from Canning Vale building in Byford. The extension of the Tonkin has also given this area a big boost.

Lucy

Hi Lucy,

Great on you for buying in the estate and congrats on your CG.

We too have bought a block in Byford in Redgum Brook, 600m2 for 225,000 with titles expected around July/August. We are building a large 4x2 (~220m2 of living) through Metrostyle and hope to have this finsihed around September/October next year.

We are hoping once the building is completed, it would be worth around the 600K, do other forum members believe that this is achieveable?

May money follow your every investment.

Prak

I too have bought a 600m2 block and are building a 4 x 2. I would imagine your house would have to be worth over $500,000, I think to achieve a value of $600,000 you would have to include all the fruits like quality tiles, reverse cycle air con, quality appliances and window furnishings. I wish you the best. For an idea, there are a few houses for sale in Byford Central. 2 x Dale Alcock homes which have about the same amount of living space as the one you are building and they are currently listed at $490,000 to $535,000. Of course you would have to go into these properties and add the finishing touches as well as establishing gardens, putting in air con, painting etc. Hope this info helps.

What will be the replacement cost for the 4x2?
Is it still easy to make money by buying a block and buid a house now?
Seems to be a lot of properties on the market now but maybe it's still going up?

Tropic I think that people don't realise all of the costs they incur when they build. When you look at houses in the paper that say advertise at $160,000, you then add on the block price, stamp duty, legals, site costs, pre-start (upgrading things like having more power points, making them double, getting bigger hot water system, flyscreens, driveway crossovers, doors on wardrobes etc) and finally finishing off the house with floor coverings, blinds, air con, light fittings, patios, paving, lawn etc it can be very costly

eg:

Say block is $255,000
Stamp Duty & Legals (5%) $ 12,750
Base House Cost $160,000
Site Costs $ 6,000
Pre-Start $ 10,000
House finishing $ 30,000

Total $473,750

You may be able to buy houses around this price but you have to take into account stamp duty will be high on this figure and at least when you build you can get something relatively close to what you want. I think financially it can be much of a muchness but personally it can be better to build. Oh yeah, and I didn't take into account renting while you build.

Byford/Armadale suffers very strong hot easterly winds in the summer months.

Something to do with the lay of the escarpment.

Hi Lucy,

You made a great point about the cost of building. When you see 4x2 houses being advertised in the New Hommes sections, its really misleading.

Whatever price you see, you can also add 50-60K to it and thats the real building cost. It will be great to see what prices will be achived in 12-18 months time.

May money follow your every investment.

Prak

Last edited:
Nice area - very pretty around the foothills but...It is a difficult place to get to and from IMHO and this would be a big deterant for many people. The SW highway is very slow and clogged during peak hour and weekends. Alternatively, getting across to the Kwinana freeway is a bit of a drive so either way unless you're working in the eastern suburbs somewhere it can be a long slow commute to work. As for future growth, don't forget the proposed satellite city that is proposed for that SE region. This won't go ahead until after the freeway extension has been built and will capitalise on that particular infrastructure. You need to consider what impact this large scale residential land release will have on existing property prices.

Flatout

Hey Prakman, just noticed a house has come on the market in Redgum. New Ross North house on 800m2 block. On market for $640,000. Interesting to see what they will get for it.

Hi Lucy,

Spoke to the agent regarding this property and she said that it was over listed at that price. I quizzed her about how much the new 4x2 on 500ish sqm would go for and she said 450-500K depending on the finish. At this price, it would seem that building is not as profitable as it was once.

Who knows the market may turn.

Prak

I have been told between $475 - $500 for a 4 x 2 in one of the estates on an average lot. Because land is still being released in the various estates in Byford, you can still get house and land packages for about $400 so any houses on the market are currently competing with these. When all land has been exhausted, who knows what you could get?

went to armadale for the first time yesterday and found that place quite livable... in certain parts. it reminds me of the two places i lived in... alice spings & palmerston in darwin... i appreciate the high ground level, looking over vast land, suburb is not surrounded by other suburbs... and there seems to be some serious commercial development happening. was a bit taken aback when a body was found in seville grove this morning and, whenever i mentioned about armadale to friends, not many are as euthuastic as me about living there.

comments in living there anyone?:eek:

Hi Kero, I have lived in Armadale when I started out. It is a pretty area with a bad reputation and some dodgy spots as does every area. Lot of blue collar workers who don't like to spend much time maintaining their properties. Lawns not kept all that well which detracts from appearance. City spending up big on development, I think it has more growth potential, lot of renos going on. I say don't listen to others and live where you want to live. I personally would never live in Canning Vale or the belt of suburbs in the middle between beach and hills. I prefer either direct beach area or hills. Good luck with your decision.

Back