Cadbury Chocolate

Relfy, I reckon you might be referring to the blocks?

Have you seen the assorted collections?
I can only have dark chocolate that is over 70% (and only cadbury/lindt that I know of) - the stuff in bars with nuts or caramel or wafers or whatnot is totally, utterly deadly. Any more than 6 smarties or m&ms or 1 freddo frog's worth of regular chocolate turns me into the crazy sneezing woman.

For some bizarre reason all the dark chocolate that has nuts etc in it is crappy quality stuff. Its obviously a cost thing - there's no market for pure dark chocolate with nuts and stuff in :(

Saw some obscure brand in Coles that didn't have THAT ingredient in while we were chocolateless from cadbury's stupid recall but it was $4 for 100 grams!!!

Clarifying:

Its hard to fathom, isn't it? I'm not actually allergic to *chocolate*, its the bloody cheapar$e filler ingredient they put in it instead of cocoa butter to keep the costs down.

Its in the newer BBQ shapes, milo, commercial chicken nuggets, White Wings packet mixes (bought White Wings cakemix once, NEVER AGAIN), newer Arnotts biscuits, cheap fake whipped cream, lots of icecreams (Magnums are the worst - horrible things) etc etc. It even turned up in some pharmaceutical stuff I got on prescription one time.

Makes it virtually impossible to buy treat foods for me. Many a time have I explained this to the MIL, in great depth, yet I still end up sitting there mournfully watching everyone else eat Cornettos or muffins or whatever because the MIL has forgotten yet again, or bought fancy (dangerous) icecream and forgotten to get cream for me, or spiked all the muffins with M&Ms despite specifically being told to leave some plain ones. Grrrr.

How hard is it for someone who works very short hours to just bake a freakin cake with flour/eggs/milk and serve it with cream or plain instead of getting a packet mix cake, filling it with lollies and then dishing it up with icecream - all 'bought especially for us', especially when the same person goes to great lengths to buy themselves wheat-free pasta and organic milk etc because they *think* they might possibly have an intolerance ...

Sounds a bit like my MIL. She will give me a compliment with a sting in the tail. Eg "I really admire how you can live in the house with a baby and while you are having a pool and new kitchen installed ...... But I would HAVE to sweep the floor occasionally." SLAP!!

Ah, but what's that got in it?

Chocolate.

Sugar, cocoa mass, cocoa butter, cream powder, whole milk powder, emulsifier (322 - soy), flavour. And the usual not & gluten disclaimers.
Track some down. Worth the effort. My dad brings a few blocks from Vic each time he comes to visit. Having some now.Mmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Yes, Haighs is the best!! :D

Haighs Dark frogs. Mmmm!!

Project 1080.

The project: 10 IPs in 80 mths.

Last edited:
Lindt is way too rich for my liking. Like wylie, I like my chocolate thin/small, and very cold. I keep a packet of mini M&Ms in the freezer. :cool: (Literally cool!)

My favourite chocolate is Hershey's Milk Chocolate with Toffee and Almonds Nuggets:

hersheys_nuggets_toffee_almond.jpg

They're a US product not widely available in Australia; I buy a dozen bags at a time from an importer.

My treat chocolate - which I've told family is a universally welcome gift for birthdays, Christmas, Mothers' Day, or any other occasion on which they feel I deserve a gift - is Alpha Apricot Royales. Mmmmm.... divine.

apricotroyales.jpg

I wrote a complaint letter. Below is the response I got back. Maybe my complaint worked. No, more likely plummeting sales of their flagship items.

Thank you for taking time to contact us regarding our New Look products.
At Cadbury, we are committed to providing people with quality products they
enjoy and trust.

We have been making chocolate in Australia for over 100 years and during
this time we have constantly strived to make our chocolate better tasting
and at the same time ensure it remains affordable.

Over the years our recipe has evolved due to technological changes in the
production process, as well as changes in ingredient sources. Whilst these
changes have not been noticeable to most Australians, we have always tried
to be open about the reasons for the change and committed to ensuring the
best possible product for our consumers - this remains the case with the
new recipe Cadbury Dairy Milk in Australia.

It absolutely makes no sense whatsoever for us to impose a recipe that the
majority of Australians won’t enjoy eating. Of course, time will tell if
our new recipe will be accepted, however we genuinely believe we have
delivered a product that the majority of Australians prefer.

There are different types of vegetable fats and Cadbury Dairy Milk has
always contained vegetable fat – cocoa butter. Cocoa butter is one of the
major ingredients that has always been in our chocolate. Recently, we
introduced a small amount of different vegetable fat to our Cadbury Dairy
Milk recipe.

The primary reason for doing this is because our research has been
consistently telling us that the majority of Australian consumers believe
we could improve their enjoyment of our chocolate by making it slightly
softer to bite. Vegetable fat helps deliver this softness to our chocolate
whilst at the same time maintain its great taste. Many consumers have told
us they have noticed the chocolate is softer and they are pleased with
this.

The second reason we have introduced a different vegetable fat is to
maintain consumer value during times of skyrocketing costs of raw
commodities such as cocoa and sugar. Cocoa in particular has doubled in
price in two years. To manage this, we could either have allowed the price
of CDM to rise, thereby making it unaffordable for many Australians, or we
could keep costs down by introducing a very small amount of vegetable fat.
Our consumers made it very clear to us they didn’t want the price of our
blocks to increase, and we believe it is important our chocolate remains a
treat all Australians can enjoy.

Vegetable fat by nature does not influence the taste of chocolate. That is
why most chocolate on the market already includes a small percentage of
vegetable fat in it. The vegetable fat that we are using in our new recipe
Cadbury Dairy Milk is made up of natural ingredients (including Palm Oil)
with variable levels of saturated fats. However, it does not contain trans
fatty acids and there is no increase in the saturated fat content of the
chocolate as a result of vegetable fat’s inclusion.

One of the reasons some consumers may notice a taste difference is because
of the new wider yet thinner shape of the chocolate within our blocks. The
new shape is designed to more evenly spread the taste of chocolate
throughout the mouth. In contrast, the smaller squares from the former
block tended to concentrate the delivery of the chocolate to a smaller area
of the mouth. This change in shape and density can deliver a different
taste for some consumers, as independently verified by Otago University.

Cadbury is a responsible business and we care that our consumers continue
to enjoy our products. For that reason, the minor changes we did make have
been backed by extensive consumer research. We would never intend to
alienate or upset any of our consumers and we sincerely hope consumers will
try the product and continue to enjoy its great taste and quality.

Whilst we have made changes to Cadbury Dairy Milk, it’s important to
remember that we continue to produce our chocolate to extremely high
quality standards and the glass and a half of full cream dairy milk in
every block remains.

Once again thank you for your feedback, if you have any further enquiries
please call us on 1800 250 260 during business hours.

Yours sincerely
CADBURY PTY LTD

One of the reasons some consumers may notice a taste difference is because of the new wider yet thinner shape of the chocolate within our blocks. The new shape is designed to more evenly spread the taste of chocolate throughout the mouth. In contrast, the smaller squares from the former block tended to concentrate the delivery of the chocolate to a smaller area of the mouth. This change in shape and density can deliver a different taste for some consumers, as independently verified by Otago University.
I've heard this one trotted out in the publicity a few times.

How the hell can the SHAPE of chocolate change the taste?!?!?!

I'd like them to make a chocolate block that breaks along the lines. Their stuff always, ALWAYS shatters in random zigzags and it is impossible to divvy up half a row to each of us, and little shards of chocolate go everywhere and the baby finds them the next day and eats them.

I'd like them to make a chocolate block that breaks along the lines. Their stuff always, ALWAYS shatters in random zigzags and it is impossible to divvy up half a row to each of us, and little shards of chocolate go everywhere and the baby finds them the next day and eats them.

Nobody ever finds little shards of chocolate when I break it up, because I make sure I get any shards. The calories in the little shards don't count, do they? :D

I am taking chinese herbs to stimulate my metabolism. I am trying to drop a few kilos that I just cannot budge, and I don't eat badly, so am giving the chinese herb man a try. What I have found is that I have totally lost my craving for sugar, chocolate, lollies. I never ate a lot of any of these, but sometimes just went looking for them. That is gone completely. I can leave the chocolate in the cupboard now.

Best metabolic booster is to eat lots of little meals instead of a few big ones :)

We have our half a row of chocolate every night before bed while watching Torchwood, safe from chocolate-loving small children. Definitely got a thing for good food happening in this house - we both put on several kilos after we met. But considering he was barely over 60kg at the time and I was under 50kg a few extra kilos isn't actually bad ...

Back