Caesarstone - Arris edge issue??

Hi gang, we have just had kitchens installed for a new project, and I noticed on the corner joins (arris edge) of our Caesarstone benches, there appears to be no pattern, which I find quite odd.

I was under the impression the caesarstone was consistent throughout (ie stone to resin mix), so seeing a big strip on the join where there is no pattern is really frustrating me.

Before I attack the builder, has anyone seen this before? Is it normal?

I have attached a photo to show what I mean.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 6.36.00 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 6.36.00 pm.png
    730.5 KB · Views: 1,989
It looks like it is 40mm. Caesarstone only comes in 20mm thick slabs. The bit without pattern is the mastic (glue) used to mitre the edge so it appears to be a 40mm top. This is normal.

Thanks all,

Sorry it is a 40mm piece with a join. So they have just cut a bit hard? ALl the other benches I've seen with this sort of join (including the one they did on my next door build) shows pattern right up to the join, so I was a bit concerned about this. AJB have they just mitred or whatever a bit too much into the material?

Thanks,

Best bet would be to take a photo of your one, and then the one next door. Send them to whichever Cabinet maker/builder you used so that they can take it up with their stonemason.

def caesarstone. What I'm thinking is the join was done incorrectly, and we can see the glue. Looking at the fabrication manual, this shouldn't occur even if they "sand" the edge slightly to get a nice finish. It looks like the sanding has exposed the glue, which should end up nowhere near the "surface".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 9.25.56 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 9.25.56 pm.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,470
attachment.php

Basically, the benchtop has been mitred and arrissed to give you the 40mm deep face. It has a mitre, then a square cut which is filled with matching filler resulting in a very thin line. The square cut is usually a few mm to give the epoxy adequate surface to get a good key.

The example above is for a pencil round on a return edge.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 3,978
def caesarstone. What I'm thinking is the join was done incorrectly, and we can see the glue. Looking at the fabrication manual, this shouldn't occur even if they "sand" the edge slightly to get a nice finish. It looks like the sanding has exposed the glue, which should end up nowhere near the "surface".

The diagram is of a pencil round edge not an arris edge.

Thanks all,

Some very helpful stuff there. Scott, great diagram mate, but if that was the case wouldn't I see the line on the other bench next door? The other bench is what I'd call perfect, where it has the nice stone consistency right to the edge of each piece and you wouldn't even know it was a join, whereas this one is so obvious, I can't look at anything else. It hits me from a metre away.

Hi Turk, I'd assume the way it was joined would be the same for both, as both are mitred yer?

Ill keep at my builder to explain why it looks perfect on one, and not on the other.

Thanks

Thanks all,

Some very helpful stuff there. Scott, great diagram mate, but if that was the case wouldn't I see the line on the other bench next door? The other bench is what I'd call perfect, where it has the nice stone consistency right to the edge of each piece and you wouldn't even know it was a join, whereas this one is so obvious, I can't look at anything else. It hits me from a metre away.

Hi Turk, I'd assume the way it was joined would be the same for both, as both are mitred yer?

Ill keep at my builder to explain why it looks perfect on one, and not on the other.

Thanks

Will

There are 2 ways to mitre the joint, the 1 in Scotts diagram and the 1 next door.

The one next door in which the 45 degree mitre runs to a point is prone to chipping, whereas Scotts style has strength, I know which one will look better in 12 months.

Thanks Turk, having clad columns & walls in the cbd and had 000's of m2 of granite laid, planter boxes made etc and worked with many stone masons over the years, I have seen the odd detail and had all the pros and cons explained.

The detail that I drew, may not be the prettiest but is the most durable as the edge of the stone is fragile and easily chipped. If not assembled properly, (as in your next door's bench), the very fine mitres will chip and lose the sharp edge as there is insufficient stone on the exposed edge.

Thanks again guys, yup it makes good sense to me from a strength point of view now.

I hadn't considered that previously, it was more about the finish.

Maybe I'll give the builder a break on this one. It's always good to arm one's self with as much outside information as possible, rather than taking one persons word for anything.

Most appreciated.

Scott, great diagram mate, but if that was the case wouldn't I see the line on the other bench next door? The other bench is what I'd call perfect, where it has the nice stone consistency right to the edge of each piece and you wouldn't even know it was a join, whereas this one is so obvious, I can't look at anything else. It hits me from a metre away.

Is next doors a solid 40mm bench & correspondingly more $$$ or is it a 20mm slab with mitre joints like yours ?
Can you detect next doors join ? Are the embedded stones lined up at the join ?

Scott is on the money.

Only other way they do it is they stick another 20mm piece underneath returning to the cabinet to give it 40mm, and trust me, your one looks 100 times better than the alternative for a 40mm finish with Caesarstone. The other way I just mentioned leaves a big join line right through the middle of the 40mm edge.

Thanks guys, they are both the same benches, both 40mm top with waterfall/apron end.

Next door literally cannot see a join anywhere, it is what I'd call visually perfect. They were done by the same two boys over two days, so its just bad luck I think.

Well the site super is going to have it pulled out and have it redone for me, which is bloody awesome. It can't get worse, so only better.

I'll post a pic of next door tomorrow for comparison if anyone is interested. If you look haaard, you can see the corner join on that one, but it doesn't hit you right in the kisser as you walk down the hall into the kitchen like this one does.

Thanks again for all of your responses. They are very informative.

Just to clarify, this is the style of edge they have done.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 9.53.07 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 9.53.07 pm.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,971
Back