Cairns stabbing

What an awful tragedy in Cairns today. Eight children stabbed to death within one family. It's just unimaginable.

Murray Street in Manoora is one of the most notorious areas in Cairns. What a shame that it will take something like this to turn things around.

The Cairns community is in shock and my heart goes out to the relatives left behind.

Jen

Indeed a devastating tragedy that will be a sobering moment for Cairns residents. Once the police investigate I'm sure we will have a clearer picture, at the moment still a lot of speculation. Regardless a terrible ordeal for the children no doubt who are the innocent victims. We looked at a potential IP one street over a couple of years ago, didn't seem a bad area really.

It's unimaginable what the children must have gone through :-(.

The suburb of Manoora has historically had an awful reputation, but it does boil down to street level, as well as individuals. Have a look at its location, and you can see it's actually located next the one of the fastest growing areas in Cairns - Edge Hill. And then check the flood maps, and you will get an idea why certain areas and streets are depressed.

I just wish there were more support options available to avert/disrupt these kind of situations...

The term, a female is 'assisting Police with their inquiries' normally means one thing. It is often a transitional term. Poor children. It will be a sad story. And yes, Murray Street is not the place to live. It puts the 'M' in the Cairns 'M' suburbs.

The mother has been charged with their murder. I think we should have the death penalty for those type of scum. She will probably say she is mentally ill and get off like other crims.

I think it's disgusting how they can do such a crime and just plead they are mentally ill. Not say she has done that, but a lot of others have.

It sounds as if she has suffered a psychosis of unimaginable severity with this terrible terrible outcome. Sadly, these events are not unknown in Australia and obviously the world. It is the sheer number of victims which makes this different. How very, very, sad.

To me there is little question that the person that did this, mother or otherwise, is mentally ill. That's not to say that they should not be held responsible for what they have done, and if it was the mother then her punishment will be that she has to live with what she did to her children for the rest of her life.

What state of mind would you have to be in to systematically and methodically stab eight children, your own children? Any rational person halts when they hurt a child, and certainly if they killed a child. To continue on and murder another seven children, that surely is an indication of insanity.

As for the 'M' suburbs in Cairns, yes it's generally true, but there are currently four properties selling for over $1 million in Mooroobool (one listed for $1.8M) , and quite a few over $800K so not parts of all suburbs with an M are low income.

Perhaps a devastating social observation is that there are streets where people live that a family have have a domestic dispute and eight children are murdered and no one notices until the following day. Hopefully investigations will shed some light as to how this tragedy occurred and what can be done to prevent it happening again.

Truly a tragedy ;(

however, there are 6 billion people on this earth, there is always going to be a proportion of people who are nuts, and do horrible things like this, that simply cannot be explained

I dont try and understand it, I just think it is a tragedy, and pray for the victims REGARDLESS OF HOW OLD THEY ARE

The mother has been charged with their murder. I think we should have the death penalty for those type of scum. She will probably say she is mentally ill and get off like other crims.

I think it's disgusting how they can do such a crime and just plead they are mentally ill. Not say she has done that, but a lot of others have.

Why don't u wait to find out more about this horrific event before wildly speculating?

im starting to see a pattern based on previous threads,

must be a reporter or drama queen!

I must be a reporter or a drama queen because I think it's important for posts to be factual rather than speculative when dealing with murders??

I can't remember, were you the poster who claimed he would pay more attention raising your sons than your daughters? If so your opinion is entirely irrelevant to me

I must be a reporter or a drama queen because I think it's important for posts to be factual rather than speculative when dealing with murders??

I can't remember, were you the poster who claimed he would pay more attention raising your sons than your daughters? If so your opinion is entirely irrelevant to me

no it wasnt, bad luck!

btw I was referring to brian84, not you,

learn to read properly and get over yourself

Fair enough, I wonder who that idiot was.

Either way I stand by my post. What happened is horrific but nothing is gained by speculation and the last thing needed is to further stigmatise mental illness in this country

Edit - oops, sorry there are a few posters who have held the view I thought you did as well and it has been bloody frustrating

Fair enough, I wonder who that idiot was.

Either way I stand by my post. What happened is horrific but nothing is gained by speculation and the last thing needed is to further stigmatise mental illness in this country

Edit - oops, sorry there are a few posters who have held the view I thought you did as well and it has been bloody frustrating

read my quote

'however, there are 6 billion people on this earth, there is always going to be a proportion of people who are nuts, and do horrible things like this, that simply cannot be explained'

I know nothing about mental illness, and nor do i claim to, if it can affect people from your average bogan to high functioning CEO or international sportsperson, then its a serious problem

also, I was the one who posted this
http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1252378#post1252378

I'm curious that if mental illness is not a factor here then what possible rational explanation could there be? I guess forensics and not speculation will inform us? Whilst there is undeserved stigmatism against mental illness the murder of eight children is going to give mental illness an unavoidable reputation. Perhaps psychosis is a better term than mental illness but I'm no expert.

Back