Cairns Update

For all you FNQ investors - I have just returned from 2 weeks of bliss in FNQ

Headline in the Cairns Post was that Cairns was the fastest growing area in Queensland over the past year, the population grew by 3,000.

Today's paper stated Herron White giving the rental vacancy rate as 2.3%. There are still plenty of people wanting to rent good quality units in the closer suburbs.

My inner suburban and beachside units are doing well but I wouldn't say the same for those in Woree. The rent gets paid on time every time but the way the property is treated by the tenants leaves a lot to be desired.

Properties have increased substantially in the 18 months I have been investing there. When I first purchased in January 2003 you could buy a 2 br flat for mid 50s, low 60s. Starting price now is 95k. Rents, of course, have risen accordingly. Tenants appear to be not moving as it is difficult to obtain reasonable price accommodation.

Talking to the locals they see the Edmonton/Gordonvale area as being a growth potential with the advent of a 6 lane highway due to be completed to Gordonvale by the end of the year. I still felt Edmonton had a way to go as you have to drive past new areas still being developed to get there (Bentley Park, White Rock, Mt Sheridan).

There is a dual highway planned to Kuranda, although the locals are opposing this. If this goes ahead this would open up easy access to Kuranda and Atherton/Mareeba.

The Juniper development at Yorkeys has now been all fenced off and sales have commenced. Sewerage scheme had commenced at Machams. The reclaiming of the beach at Holloways, following the recent storms, had also started with the Cairns Post reporting that some owners had to pay up to $90k each toward the work.

Chris :)

Good news,thanks for the report.We have a unit within 5 minutes of Cairns CBD,and ,so far,have no trouble renting it out.The tennant is very good as well, at looking after the place and paying on time.
So if the value is increasing it is a bonus.
Peter

Thanks for the update Chris.

I settle on a 3BR house in Mt Sheridan (Forest Gardens estate) in a couple of weeks time. Hope the vacancy rate stays low :) The PM reckons it should lease quite quickly, so here's hoping she's right.

Regards,
Chris.

Chris

Forest Gardens should do well from the new road, there was a lot of work going on just by the estate when we drove by on Friday.

I called in at my agent (another Chris) while I was there and they had no houses available to rent but lots of enquiries. So you should have no problem letting.

All the new developments I saw proposed in the newspaper were for units (Hedley, etc) so housing could be the way to go.

Chris

Thanks for the encouraging news Chris.

I will reply to this thread in a few weeks and let you know how I got on.

Regards,
Chris.

Hi Chrispy,

Thanks for the update on Cairns. You assisted me earlier this year too and i got couple of properties , one in white rock and other in mooroobool. Both are Duplex and having good rentals.Good Tenants

Any update from Chris Gay about the next 12 month on Cairns growth patterns.

Always looking forward to your updates

Daya :)

Hi Dayanand

Pleased I have been of help. I spoke to Chris while I was up there and he sees another 6 months growth yet. With the newspapers talking about increased population growth, I think he is probably right.

After returning to freezing Melbourne I can truly understand the move north by the senior citzs.

Just as a matter of interest - Chris had a unit for sale in Brown Street (Woree) when I was up there at the end of April for $130k which included a lock up garage, the unit was in excellent condition and sold very quickly.

This trip up there Walkers (the Jenman rep) has one in the block next door for $155k with a car port only.

If I get any stats I will post them

Chris

Stats

Daya - I found this in the Cairns Post of the 18 May, for all of you with property up there, it is good reading:

THE Cairns property market is still gathering steam with average home prices rising in all suburbs, latest figures reveal.

Sales records released by the Real Estate Institute of Queensland show increases across the board over the year ending March 2004.

Caravonica led the way, with average house prices jumping from $140,000 to $219,000 - 56.4 per cent.
Prices in Trinity Beach also shot up by an average 40.8 per cent and Parramatta Park saw a 40.1 per cent jump.
Houses on the up
Cairns suburban price changes over the past 12 months
Suburb 12mths 12mths %
to end to end over year
Mar 2003 Mar 2004 change

Cairns (whole city) $167,000 $200,000 19.8%
Bayview Heights $174,000 $217,500 25%
Bentley Park $161,185 $185,000 14.8%
Brinsmead $211,000 $275,000 30.3%
Bungalow n/a $185,000 n/a
Caravonica $140,000 $219,000 56.4%
Clifton Beach $251,500 $319,000 26.8%
Earlville $151,000 $182,250 20.7%
Edge Hill $210,000 $240,000 14.3%
Edmonton $134,500 $170,000 26.4%
Freshwater $229,500 $295,000 28.5%
Gordonvale $120,000 $133,500 11.3%
Holloways Beach $160,875 $214,250 33.2%
Kanimbla $247,500 $278,750 12.6%
Kewarra Beach $182,000 $235,000 29.1%
Machans Beach $145,000 $181,000 24.8%
Manoora $112,000 $150,000 33.9%
Manunda $140,000 $175,000 25%
Mooroobool $142,000 $179,000 26.1%
Mount Sheridan $165,000 $215,000 30.3%
Parramatta Park $172,250 $241,250 40.1%
Redlynch $209,000 $250,000 19.6%
Smithfield Heights $157,500 $195,175 23.9%
Stratford $222,000 $267,500 20.5%
Trinity Beach $174,000 $245,000 40.8%
Westcourt $146,250 $184,750 26.3%
White Rock $115,000 $142,250 23.7%
Whitfield $230,000 $285,125 24%
Woree $143,000 $157,250 10%
Yorkeys Knob $180,000 $196,000 8.9%

Cairns Post

Thanks Geoff you beat me to it.

Ann - I subscribe to Newstext and can do a search for articles relating to real estate.

I collect the Weekend Cairns Post from McGills Newsagency in Melbourne every Tuesday. Only the weekend edition is sent to Melbourne so any other articles relating to property or real estate in the other days I have to pick up via newstext.

The Cairns Post have the subscription available where they post it to you.

Chris

Thanks Chrispy for this stat update.

It is certainly a very nice sense of feeling to know your Investment is doing well :) :D

Thanks again

Daya

Cairns: a nice place to invest/live in the long term

I am just a new one here: registered yesterday.

My feeling about invesment in property: do you like to live it youselve there? If not, why should other people like it?

My family and I visited Cairns from Singapore last March/April, and we all liked it very much. The weather was perfect (though there had been a few weeks of heavy rains just before our visit). The sea, mountain, and CBD are quite nice. When we were passing the custom, I noticed that most arrivals were foreigners.

We visited Brinsmead, Park Ridge, Redlynch, Edmonton, city center (of cources), and drove all the way to Daintree Park. Most parts are quite nice.

So we asked ourselves: do we want to live in Cairns? The answer is yes. Then we asked ourselves: do we want to live in Sydney: no to Sydney (the roads are not driver-friendly, many houses are not good-lloking, and too expensive). Same to Brisbane. (Sorry I do not mean to offend those who love Sydney or Brisbane). Canberra? I love it, but my wife thinks it is too cold. We all like Gold Coast, but it is now too expensive.

Redlynch is a nice area, good scenary, nice estates, but too far from the city.
Brinsmead: a kind of depressing in the area.
Park Ridge: wonderful estate. Also Park Ridge is very close to the city, major shopping centers, etc. It is a nice place where we can base the home. Also there are many nice homes in that estate.

Suburbs in the city: houses look run-down, in clear contrast to other places.

Why cairns besides the above-mentioned reasons:

(1) It is a tourist city, so a lot of things to do/see

(2) Many of my friends who visited Cairns like it, so tourists will keep coming

(3) It has direct flights to Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, all within a few hours' flight. With Japan's economy picking up, more Japanese will visit Cairns. China is another source: more and more Chinese are visiting other countries, and Cairns could be a potential destination. (It is a pity there is no direct flight to Beijing or Shanghai or Guangzhou yet).

(4) Population growing

(5) Economy seems quite OK

(6) House prices still reasonable compared to other Australia cities.

So we are considering (seriously) buying 1-2 properties in Cairns. The best choice from a long-term view should be whitfield (Park Ridge), but the owner of the hotel where we stayed mentioned "Mount Sheridan" to us. Looking up the information on "Forest Garden" in Mount Sheridan, I found that most information is positive on Forest Garden: it has high income level, population grows faster than many other suburbs, limited land supply, close to the Bruce Highway, etc. What's more is that Forest Garden is much more cheaper than "Park Ridge".

Oh, I got to go home now. Just my first posting, please excuse my terrible English (I am not a native English speaker).

Finally, thank those posted on the forum, as you all provided different views on Cairns, which are very helpful.

shu

Cairns

Shu

Welcome to the forum. Your comments were excellent and it is good to debate whether you should buy only investment properties that you would live in yourself.

My comment on this:

The units I have purchased in Cairns are in the lower priced bracket as approx 85% of the people renting in Cairns are looking in this price bracket

Each of the units would be worth between approx 100k to 150k and rent between $135 and $180 per week

The units I bought are what my agent calls "bullet proof" solid masonry block with tiled floors, so can take a lot of wear and tear.

They are in areas that are close to shopping centres, transport and schools to appeal to a variety of tenants.

What I look for in a house to live in is quite different, I look for comfort, peace and quiet, good outlook and items that need maintenance such as gardens.

This is exactly what we bought when we bought our investment properties in Melbourne, we could live in any of our Melbourne properties. The difference is that they do take a lot of maintenance. The return on investment is not as good, we could triple our return if we sold our Melbourne houses and put the money in to units in Cairns but I believe we need to have the diversity of type and location not only for rental yield but for long term capital gain.

This has probably not helped you at all!!

Chris :)

Dear Chris:

Thanks for your reply! Sorry for not having replied you earlier.

Your comments are excellent. If I were to rent a house/flat in Cairns, I would alos consider the flats you have, ie., high quality and close to public facilities and close to the work place. I guess most people who rent work in the Cairns city. The yield on your units is also quite good (~ 7% gross), that makes sense.

Either a house or a flat, it must be in a good location. Houses and flats all degrade (is that the right word?) over time, what keeps their value increase over time (capital gain) is the land ( for house) and the space it occupies (for unit). It is well known (I have checked that for Canberra and other cities) that houses and units appricate more or less at the same rate over a long time (say, 20 years). (Many people think that houses apprecite more than units, but historical data do not support that). Thus, either we buy units or houses, we may end up in the same: up. For the past 10 years prior to 2000, houses/units in Cairns appreciated little. Even today, the average house price in Cairns is only about 250K, compared to about 370K in Canberra or Gold Cost. The income level difference between these cities is not that great (I found that about 45% house holds in Brinsmead make > 52K, not too far from Canberra. (The data is not very accurate, as long as I remember). I am more familiar with Canberra, as my wife and I have a house in Canberra.

Since I am so far away from Australia (6 hours to reach Cairns), I guess I would better buy a house than a unit, as the paper work is more or less the same, but my investment is much higher in a house (say, 330K for a house in Forest Garden that rents for 355 a week, 5.6% gross yield) than in a unit (like your 140 K for 160 or 170 a week). If both appreciate 100% in 7 years, the house makes a gain of 330K, while the unit makes a gain of 140K. Of course, you can buy 2 units instead of one, but I guess you need to increase the paper work significantly (I may be wrong, quite likely). I have not done a careful homework, but I just feel I like houses more.

I guess it's not critical you buy a house or unit, but it is critical that you buy one that appreciates significanly in the long term. So it is very important to decide first which city to go in. Surely Sydney or Gold Cost have good prospect, but the price is already high, so after a few years (like 7 years), your house/unit may not appreciate so much, and your rental yield is low (at least in Sydney), you would be better off to invest in a cheaper city that has good prospect as well. Cairns is one of them (in my own opinion, the best).

Let's image the house price in Sydney appreicates 100% in 7 years, to reach about 900K (is the median price now about 450K?). The median household income in 7 years may be 80K then, it will be very tough for a 80K family to keep a 900K house. Thus, it is unlikely that Sydney's median price will increase 100% in 7 years.

Consider Cairns: if the prices jumps 100% in 7 years, it will then be about 500K. Median household income by then may be (just my guess) 55K, it will be tough to buy a 500K house, but not that tough as a 80K income for a 900K house.

You have reported that the population is growing in Cairns, that is good. I guess it will keep going up. I have checked the passenger number in Cairns airport web, and found the oveaseas arriving number has been steadily increasing all the time over the past (as far as the data is available on the web), meaning tourists have been coming all the time, more and more each year. (I shall post a chart after June's data become available from the web).

Bye for now, I got to go.

regards

shu

Hi Chris and all you Cairns investors,

I researched Cairns about 11 months ago (ended up buying in Rocky) and at that time you could get about a 10% yield on units and 8% on houses. Agents were also screaming for rentals close to the CBD and in the northern beaches.

It seems like properties have gone up a bit since then. I am still interested in buying up there, wondering if you guys can tell me the approximate average yield you can get at the moment.

I usually prefer to buy houses but they seem to be returning much lower yields now.

Thanks for your help.
Kylie

Houses and yields

Kylie

The 10%/8% still holds fairly true in Cairns.

The properties are going up in value, consequently the rents are rising.

When I first bought there, settling in January 2003, I paid $52,500 and received $120 pw, giving me around 11% gross, but now with the properties going up in value, I get $140 pw but on the market value its now only about 8% gross.

My block of 4 settled in July 2003 and they give me over 11% gross but on today's values come back to 8%.

Friend purchased house August 2003 for $140k and it returns 8%

Agent constantly raises rents in accordance with rising property values

The main problem with units in Cairns is the high rates/body corp costs, with houses you get more for your rates!!

Cairns Council charge a flat rate of $1260 no matter what the value of the unit, I pay the same rate for my cheap unit as I do for my more expensive one at the beach but the rents are vastly different.

Hope this helps

Chris

Hi,
I posted to this thread a few weeks back and said I would provide an update on the 3 BR house I had a contract on in Mount Sheridan (Forest Gardens).

Settlement went as planned on 28th June (Monday) and except for some curtains which were removed by the previous owners and shouldn't have been, everything was fine. The curtains have since been returned.

The property was adverrtised in the Cairns Post and on the Internet on the weekend, but the PM said "It was very slow for all rentals that weekend.". It was advertised again this last weekend and I have tenants moving in this Wednesday, so I am very pleased about that. Ten days vacant, which is less than I budgeted, so I am happy. The rent is about $15 per week more than I was expecting, so that is a bonus as well.

There are a few minor maintenance issues to attend to, but other than that, it's looking good.

Regards,
ChrisOs.
:)

Back