Cairns Update

No, they unfortunatly sold the one out Yarrabah way a couple of years ago. The one up at Tinaroo is not owned by Scouts, but leased from the Department of Natural Resources - 99 year lease or something like that. The only other property they own is the one next to Kangaroos football club, and I think the Freshwater site as well.

I was thinking of taking the kids out to a friends place to see a cane burn off and the harvester... as at this rate there wont be any cane left!

Hi 4GH1RH & raytriplej;

I have couple of duplex's in cairns in the Moorbool and white rock area. The current API shows good growth in this area but my Bank Valuer is not very convinced and will not provide the updated valuation.

As you are local to Cairns could you please tell me if you have seen any good growth in these two areas and you local info if any in the last few months.

Thanks in advance

Daya
Any

Off the top of my head (from some fast drivebys - I am always late) Moorobool seems to have quite a few renos happening - people buying, sprucing up, and selling. Seen some nice work - in terms of street appeal at least. Moorobool is close to the city.

Whiterock has always been less than popular - its a local stigma about sandflies. I looked a a place there last year but GF was disgusted I was even looking there (she is a northern beaches girl!). I never thought it was that bad. There is a big new estate in Whiterock, but sales seem to be slow - probably because there is so much a little up the road at Forest Gardens which is considered to be the right side of the railway track so to speak.

Will see what more I can find out.

Cam

Yes unfortunately White Rock has a bit of a lower class stigma to it. I don't know why but it always has. Even though it has Cairns' most expensive high school (TAS) there. And yes, all the southern Cairns development has been in the western side of the highway (White Rock is on the eastern side). There is a new subdivision going ahead on the White Rock side but as yet I haven't been out there for a look (I am an inner suburbs resident).

Mooroobol can be ok depending on where. There is a lot of housing commission homes in there, which tends to devalue the area a bit. Although, I do know good people who choose to rent there as it is close to town.

Any questions, just ask.
Ray

Oops forgot to say,

White Rock also has 132,000volt powerline transmission towers coming into Cairns through part of it. Which can also keep prices from rising too much.

My wife and I looked at buying our own residence in Bayview Heights. Lovely little house, stream next door etc... then I looked up and saw the 275,000volt powerlines going overhead...... we then bought in Whitfield. (still I might add we have 22,000volt overhead powerlines near our house, but then so do most houses in Cairns with overhead power. Underground power, you can still have 22,000volts going past, or even through your block on an easement)

Well, I guess now I'm sounding a little bit too much like an electrician.
Ray

Hmmm, with thousands of volts overhead, you could probably just stick out some fluorescent tubes and some induction coils and get some free lights and power?

I never thought of that - that TAS is on the 'wrong side of the railway tracks' - but true. the other thing of course is that the southern end of Whiterock borders onto that industrial estate. I think there are good deals to be found in Whiterock, as it is more affordable than places like Forest Gardens, and you are probably not as crowded. There are still some large blocks left in WhiteRock too. I nearly bought a low cost house in WR last year, but there was this ENORMOUS mango tree that took up half the yard that I would want taken out and that scared me off, but otherwise the place had a lot of value adding potential.

I hope your WR place picks up, I will try and keep an eye out how the new development is going, but it requires a drive in as it is behind a big wooden fence.

THANKS 4GH1RH & raytriplej,

Very Good information. I agree in Mooroobool there is some housing commission homes. In fact my previous owner of the duplex used to rent it out to them and i believe he had lots of issues.

Currently my duplex is rented out to two new excellent tenants. Rent for one of the duplex has gone up from $145 to $175 and the other duplex from $155 to $230 per week. These duplex are within walking distance to Rain Tree shopping center. Very good area and i think it has lots of potential.
The recent API Magazine tells me that all over Cairns there has been a rise of 15 - 20% in the Median price in the last 12 months.

I did not know about the power lines in White Rock as i did not see any major power lines at Denver Street ,White Rock where my Duplex's is located. if i call Integral Energy or Ergon will they be able to tell me where these 132000 Volts proposed line will be going through.

Once again thanks for this info. Maybe when i come to Cairns next time around will be good to catch up with you both for a beer and talk about property investment.

I just love Cairns

Regards

Daya

"I did not know about the power lines in White Rock as i did not see any major power lines at Denver Street ,White Rock where my Duplex's is located. if i call Integral Energy or Ergon will they be able to tell me where these 132000 Volts proposed line will be going through."

The 132,000 volt power transmission lines are already there. Apparently they would like to bring some more in in a few years but nothing has been confirmed as yet. So if you didn't notice them, maybe you bought in a better part of White Rock. There are some nice big blocks out there though. Our friends have enough room for two horses on their block. And the soccer field out there has kangaroos come out at dusk to nibble on the field. It is a nice place don't get me wrong, I would think that White Rock would be the furtherest south I would want to live for convenience sake.

Mooroobol is in nice and close to the city. Raintrees shopping centre is an older place with not too much other than groceries and a few other stores such as chemist,newsagent, and of course the "bargain shop". And don't forget the Raintrees Tavern!!! I would think that the Mooroobol place will increase in value more than the White Rock one simply because of it's location. As I said before, I live in close to the city and am therefore biased towards these areas.
Ray

Back