Cairns Update

December Update

Hi All

From the Cairns Post some more good news for those of us with property up there :)

The Cairns Post
22 DEC 2004

Cairns homes in $50k rise
By Peter Wex (Business editor)

IF you own an average house in Cairns it is probably worth $50,000 more than it was a year ago.
The median house price in Cairns rose by more than a quarter this year as almost the entire Far North Queensland region enjoyed unprecedented growth.
But the number of sales in Cairns dropped by 31 per cent to about 2600 - the first decrease in volume since 1996.
"There's just not the stock available," Real Estate Institute of Queensland Cairns branch president Chris Gay said.
"As soon as we are getting stock in we are getting results providing they are on market prices."
REIQ annual figures show the median price for a house in Cairns rose 26.3 per cent to $240,000 this year - the largest jump since records began in 1990.
It means the price has more than doubled since 2001 following hefty leaps last year (15.9 per cent) and 2002 (10.1 per cent).
Mr Gay said it was an Australian-wide phenomenon and the growth in Cairns appeared more sustainable than many other areas now in a slump.
"I think it makes Cairns a safe area," he said.
"We are still getting good returns for investors and the rental market is still really tight.
"I still look at our prices and they are not as expensive as a lot of other areas, so that's why I say if we do see a drop in the market place it will be minor."
Around the region, the shires of Douglas (20.8), Atherton (18.5) and Mareeba (21.9) all enjoyed impressive jumps in their median house price, continuing a 3-4 year trend.
Johnstone Shire experienced a 2.5 per cent drop in its median house price to $115,000 following a surge of activity last year when sales volume doubled.
Mareeba Mayor Mick Borzi said renewed interest in his area was justifiable.
"A number of new developments have occurred," he said.
"We've just ticked off the new industrial park yesterday, there's Wrotham Park resort, the $16 million feed lot, Barletta's stock feed mill and the water bottling plant.
"There are already 13 expressions of interest for sites in the industrial park.
"We have had five new businesses start in recent months in the main street and a couple more are under discussion," he said.

Median house prices
Far North Queensland median house prices for 2004
Number of Median % change over
house sales sale price prior year

Cairns 2600 $240,000 26.3%
Douglas 115 $305,000 20.8%
Mareeba 220 $129,750 21.9%
Atherton 210 $160,000 18.5%
Johnstone 320 $115,000 -2.5%

G'day

Just wondering if anyone has any first hand information on the state of the property market in Cairns at the moment. Its been seven months since I was there myself (unfortunately)

Magpie

Magpie said:
Just wondering if anyone has any first hand information on the state of the property market in Cairns at the moment. Its been seven months since I was there myself (unfortunately)

Magpie

Hi Magpie,
I recently arranged for a REA to provide me with an appraisal on my 2BR townhouse in Manoora. I expected a valuation of around $130K, so imagine my delight when it came back $155K - $160K :D So I would say that the market is still quite buoyant :)

Regards,
Chris.

But how accurate are REA appraisals? I had one done on my Coffs unit - the REA appraisal was $240k. The bank valued it at 190K.
I have, however, seen quite a few units for sale in Springfield Cres and Grantala, on Realestate.com that were asking 150k (1 was 160k), so there may be some truth in it - I hope so ;)

Had you owned some good cattle country up here you should have seen a 300% increase in value in the last 5yrs. That's not too shabby :D

Thommo

Hi Ralph,
The valuation was done by the real estate office that is also my PM and I let them know I was not considering selling, but was after a valuation to assess equity. I am sure they would also be hoping that if the figure was high enough, I may well consider selling to realise the CG. That won't be the case though. Not sure, but at the end of the day, I still feel good about it :)

Regards,
Chris.

Chris

Thanks for the reply - its good to hear isn't it. I will be there hopefully in a month and this time I'll be staying for good!

Magpie

Hey Cris
I will be having one of my Springfield Cres units valued by the bank shortly, so I will let you know how the figures stack up compared to yours
cheers

I havent had my valuations done yet, so no solid news on the market from my end.
I did notice, however, that more units in the Springfield Cres. area that I follow on Realestate.com are now asking 160k, where the same type of units were asking 150k 3-5mths ago.

Hi,

I live in Cairns and I can only report on what I think is happening. I live about two streets from Unit City as it is called.

In my area, One 3bed block home sold for $259K
One half a duplex (very nice) sold for $220
One two bed (very old needed new floors) sold for $190
One 3 bed (old fashioned,solid, needs a tart up) Passed in @ auction $195K
Parents house (needed lots of work) $400K
Our house $245 12mths ago. Est @ $265K now

Hope this is of assistance. Any q's just ask.
Ray

raytriplej said:
Hi,

I live in Cairns and I can only report on what I think is happening. I live about two streets from Unit City as it is called.

In my area, One 3bed block home sold for $259K
One half a duplex (very nice) sold for $220
One two bed (very old needed new floors) sold for $190
One 3 bed (old fashioned,solid, needs a tart up) Passed in @ auction $195K
Parents house (needed lots of work) $400K
Our house $245 12mths ago. Est @ $265K now

Hope this is of assistance. Any q's just ask.
Ray
What do you call unit city?
Thanks
Peter

It was refered to earlier in one of the pages of this thread. It is essentially a semi-new subdivision(10 yrs old I think) that consists of blocks of townhouses (some with pools) and nothing else. No other area of Cairns has this many townhouses in one place. All rentals as far as I can tell. I suppose "unit city" or "legoland" are two of the locals names for the place.
Another thing that outside investors might not be aware of is that the area near smithfield is due for a new "bunning's" store. It was in the paper a while back. This would bring a lot more shopping traffic to the area for those looking to invest in non-residential properties out that way.
Ray

I have just been to Cairns and it is still looking fairly stable. I put a unit on the market while there and it was sold by the time I got home. I listed one on the 1st July and it looks like it will be gone within a couple of days. So I would say market is still fairly active.

I spoke to Chris Gay of O'Connor and Gay and he said that the enquiries are still coming in

The Herald Sun in Melbourne ran a coloured spread of FNQ last week so that will get some interest going as well.

Rental market still seems tight, I had a tenant leave and the unit let within days again at a $20 increase.

Chris

Glad to hear your Cairns investments are doing well.

There still seems to be lots and lots of unit complexes being built, and still more housing subdivisions and now a new industrial subdivision alongside the southern access road (very good spot for light industrial sheds).

One day we'll have some equity to buy an investment here, but until then I am happy to hear about the rest of you building your wealth in my home town!!!

Cheers,
Ray

Rates increases in Cairns & Girl Guides investing success?

Here are the increases in rates in Cairns as published in the Cairns Post not long ago. Just a scan, I dont have the time to retype it all.

http://www.scoutsaustralia.org/ebay/CairnsRates.jpg

Interesting, as I bought the land for PPOR four years ago in the south of Cairns, and managed to pick up a block in the end of a development for 39K. The rates were being charged on a land value of $80K though which was the typical asking price for these blocks. So I paid $25 for searches of records of recent land sales in the area (which were much closer to 40K than 80K) and had the rates reduced to a land value of 45K which was below the minumum rates value anyway. I dont know what I have saved in rates in the past four years due to that reduction, but I know its a lot more than the $25 I paid for the searches. For a couple of hours effort it was well worth it.

I've only been in Cairns 6 years, but the growth at the moment is phenomenal. Cane fields disappear daily and houses are there the next. I live in the south, and I drive to work through the back roads and farms and cane fields, and its all developments now. 460 houses in Sugarworld estate alone. Anyone who has seen the Forest Gardens development the last couple of months will confirm just how fast things are moving here. Surely it has to saturate and lead to lower house prices. I am looking to buy in December, but Northern Beaches, a duplex if I can find the right deal. A problem as well is surely rents in Cairns are too low because of oversupply of units, and +ve cashflow properties are a long way off. I hope to move into the duplex and turn PPOR (4 bedroom home) into a +ve cashflow property. We'll see

Hope no-one has property at Buchan Point- 3000% increase in rates to $12000 a year. But driving past there on the way to Port Douglas weekend before last, its kinda hard to feel a lot of sympathy! One of the greatest spots to be sure.

On another note, as a Cub Scout leader (and my opinion is if you want to find true wealth, give away the most precious thing of all - time - do something you don't stand to make a cent out of! Kids are truely priceless, and well worth the investment.) I heard on the grape vine recently that Hedleys has bought the Girl Guides place at Clifton Beach. Word has it a $1,500,000 deal will see Hedleys take over the Guides place at Clifton Beach, no doubt for apartments (one street back from the beach), and a trade for a facility for the Guides on 40 acres out of a 120 acre property on the Mulgrave River. Well done Girl Guides! Who would have thought Girl Guides were successful property investors. I can't say the same for Scouts - who sold a property at Kamerunga and one at East Trinity for peanuts just a couple of years ago! Unfortunately I was not in a position to buy them, I was tempted to buy the East Trinity place, a stones throw from a private beach. It would have been a landbanking excercise though which I am not in a position to do right now.

And yes, I Ebay!

Hi 4gh1rh,

Yes I saw the rates increase in the paper. Luckily for us Whitfield didn't go up much.

I agree, every day there is one less cane field and yet another subdivision. I work for Ergon and install the underground power so I get to see a lot of the new developments in the construction stage.

Good on the girl guides for the swap. Do the scouts still own the camp on the way to Yarrabah and also at Tinaroo? Those two are gold mines as well. Especially if the bridge ever goes across from Cairns to the other side of the inlet.

Ray

Back