Calling all Kellyville/Castle Hill Experts

Hey there,

Newly registered member, long time reader.

Thought I'd finally register and use this forum to ask those North West experts a few questions that have been running about in my head whilst on the hunt for a PPOR home in the Hills area.

I'm in the market for a 6-700k home around Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill and if the place/price is right, Kellyville. The Castle Hill area we've been looking around is the Knightsbridge area, however unsure if residents can smell any odour coming from the Castle Sewage Treatment Plant? Prices have considerably dropped from high 700's to mid 600's since late last year - is this the cause? or just quiet times for this area of Castle Hill?

Another issue I'm stuck with is that I have noticed a fair few ads on realestate/domain for Kellyville have 'Address on request'. What are the 'good' parts and 'bad' parts of Kellyville? We found a place on the west end, just off Wrights Rd which seems to be the 'older' area of Kellyville, where blocks are 650-700sqm+. It is still East of Windor Rd if that helps.

My conundrum is do I save the money and go Kellyville, or buy something in this area of Castle Hill that may need 50-80k renovation? Traffic is always an issue from what I've read around Green Rd and Gilbert Rd, which both head onto Showground (is one better than the other?)

Please help this future Hills owner! :)

Vince

Last edited:
Hi,
there are advantages and disadvantages to parts of most suburbs. It really depends what you are looking for.
My first question would be about transport.... do you need to drive to work, or catch public transport and in which direction.

Next, are you looking at schools in the area, and if so which ones.

Do you want a big, new house on a small block of land or do you prefer an older style house on a larger block?

I'm in Baulkham Hills, and I noticed a significant increases in prices late last year or early this year, and this seems to have settled a bit. So, I'm not sure if the issue with Castle Hill is also a bit of a correction. I've never heard anyone mention a sewerage plant..... I didnt even know there was one there!

With Kellyville, I think the properties closer to Castle Hill are the ones which hold their value the best. If there is ever a train line built, it will go up Showground rd, to the council chambers and then swing over to Norwest. So, closer in has the potential to get you nearer to public transport, if it ever gets built!

I havent had many problems with traffic on Gilbert Rd, except around school drop off/pick up times.
But Showground is often a bottleneck. So, it can be hard to turn into Green Rd (or get past Green Rd to get to Gilbert coming from Castle Hill)

Pen

Thanks for your reply Penny :)

My wife and I work in North Sydney/Chatswood, so we'd be getting the 612 bus. What my wife found whilst living in Crestwood (up until 2009), was to drive and park her car in a side street off Old Northern Rd, and catch the bus there. It'd take her 5-10mins to drive and park, saving overall bus time and jumping right onto the M2.

If there's much more traffic coming out of Green Rd opposed to Gilbert Rd around 8am, then Castle Hill may be the better option. End of the day, with our profession, we'd most likely always be working in the city, though we don't mind the bus service which is one of the reasons we've chosen the Hills area.

* Schools, Samuel Gilbert Public is on the cards when the time comes
* Block size? I'd prefer more than 650sqm, even if the place is slightly older, requiring some renovations

Click for Castle Hill Sewage

I have noticed that certain areas of Baulkham Hills have picked up (especially Crestwood) and those streets closest to the border of Castle Hill.

Another pain we've just found out is there is no gas at all in the street of the Kellyville place. Such a shame.

Thanks again for your help.

Can I ask why you prefer Kellyville over Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills?

Samuel Gilbert school is Castle Hill so most of Kellyville will not get you into that school. Any reason for naming that school? There are many good schools in the area. I wouldn't put that at the top.

Baulkham Hills and Castle Hill were both named in the Top 100 suburbs expected to have good CG (API magazine July). I'm happy about that. I'm in Baulkham Hills. :D

Hi Vince

I don't get on here often lately (too busy looking for houses!) but 600-700K will get you a house in any of those areas. In the end, however, you need to decide on priorities and your personal preference. Obviously you'll get a nicer newer dwelling at K'Ville compared to Castle Hill but, as Penny has pointed out, CH has better long term prospects due to future planning in the works (fingers crossed!) Knightsbridge is lovely and you won't have any issues finding a house here 4x2x2 for your budget. Ridgecrop Dr often throws up some nice ones and is in the school catchment area you like. SG is an excellent public school and most sought after.

I also like BH for value for money and the large blocks- KV village has the biggest blocks as it's older and if you're prepared to renovate you can pick something up with few problems.

I've bought loads of houses and units in these areas for buyers and have seen the area transform over 25 yrs from sleepy leafy suburbs to what they are today. Castle Towers is definitely the hub centre of the Hills and will remain so, hopefully with a rail link before I turn too grey :)

Feel free to ask more questions and I'll see if I can help next time I pop in. Happy hunting!

I'm not aware of any issues regarding the treatment plant if you mean the one that backs on to fred caterson.

I would really recommend doing a few dry runs to work from the nightsbridge area. An extra 20 mintues each way is time away from family you don't get back. Baulkham Hills is probably a safer bet for work.

Ridgecrop drive can be a little busy/noisy. Local shops are pretty average, although the BBQ Chickens are yummo.

Stay away from Kellyville. I hear it's a dump.:D

I would really recommend doing a few dry runs to work from the nightsbridge area. An extra 20 mintues each way is time away from family you don't get back. Baulkham Hills is probably a safer bet for work.

The traffic is particularly bad with the M2 roadworks. We are very close to M2, and even from Cook St/Windsor Rd it can take 15 minutes to even get onto the M2 during morning peak (from 7.00am).
thats why I work for a company based in Norwest!

Hills?

HIya

We had the same dilemma a few years ago; and in the end opted for an older house within walking distance to the train station (pennant Hills)..

If like me, you have young kids (now they are teenagers), you will rile the day you decide on a suburb which does not have easy access to a train station:eek:
Once the kids are older, you will find yourself stressed to be always driving them everywhere!

I have a friend who lives in Cherrybrook (she works in North Ryde) and she spends half her life perpetually on the roads; for me it is always LOCATION not style of the house that comes first! (check out number of houses for sale in Pennant Hills/Beecroft versus Castle HIll/Baulkham Hills ...(.yeh yeh yeh bigger suburb la di da la di da...)

We also looked at Samuel Gilbert because of its reputation but now my kids are also in a very good school in Beecroft...two out of the three have obtained full scholarships to pte schools and entry to selective schools.:p

2 cents worth

Hi Vince
Lived in Castle Hill (Kings Rd area) for the last 15 years (I totally love it) and have the following opinion for your consideration.

a) Traffic from Kings/Green or Gilbert Rd is not an issue (in peak hours) if heading to CH. The opposite can be an issue during peak hrs. Even so, I think it is bearable.

b) SG is overrated. My child goes there. You are better off considering houses within the Matthew Pearce primary school catchment. It has OC classes.

c) 612 bus that I caught 3 years ago to work in St Leonards for a couple of months assignment was bad. Took me 1hr 15 min to 1 hr 30 mins to get there in the morning. Unless it has changed, catching a bus from BH is a nightmare since by the time it reach BH, it is usually full. Unless they now have lots more buses/freq, it is bad.

d) houses in Knightsbridge should be checked for termites. Uncle lives in Knightsbridge and has termites issues. So too, did my colleague, who was interested to purchase there. The 2 properties he had inspected also had issues with it. It could just be unlucky for both my uncle and colleague but you never know.

Like previous posters stated, for the budget, it should buy you a pretty decent house.

Anyway for you to consider. As previously stated, I love the neighbourhood and shopping is great.

Last edited:
2 cents worth

Hi Vince
Lived in Castle Hill (Kings Rd area) for the last 15 years (I totally love it) and have the following opinion for your consideration.

a) Traffic from Kings/Green or Gilbert Rd is not an issue (in peak hours) if heading to CH. The opposite can be an issue during peak hrs. Even so, I think it is bearable.

b) SG is overrated. My child goes there. You are better off considering houses within the Matthew Pearce primary school catchment. It has OC classes.

c) 612 bus that I caught 3 years ago to work in St Leonards for a couple of months assignment was bad. Took me 1hr 15 min to 1 hr 30 mins to get there in the morning. Unless it has changed, catching a bus from BH is a nightmare since by the time it reach BH, it is usually full. Unless they now have lots more buses/freq, it is bad.

Like previous posters stated, for the budget, it should buy you a pretty decent house.

Anyway for you to consider. As previously stated, I love the neighbourhood and shopping is great.

I too live in BH, in the older Crestwood area. Jasper rd school has a good name.
However,If I was moving now, I would try to be within a 1km radius of the Council chambers just off Shwoground road.
If / when that train line starts and then finishes , I believe that area will experience some good growth.
There are some nice streets leafy streets there in the Castle Hill / Excelsior area. Or somewhere just off Kings road (in the newer Castle Hill / Kellyville area) - close to the Council chambers and with some very good schools (such as William Clarke college).
David

However,If I was moving now, I would try to be within a 1km radius of the Council chambers just off Showground road.
If / when that train line starts and then finishes , I believe that area will experience some good growth.
There are some nice streets leafy streets there in the Castle Hill / Excelsior area. Or somewhere just off Kings road (in the newer Castle Hill / Kellyville area) - close to the Council chambers and with some very good schools (such as William Clarke college).
David

Totally agree Dave. I like the bigger blocks on the Excelsior and older side myself but not everyone is prepared to buy an older home and renovate like we did :)

However,If I was moving now, I would try to be within a 1km radius of the Council chambers just off Shwoground road.

I (wel my SMSF) owns an office suite in a building in Norwest Business Park. The building is directly next to where the norwest station has been slated to be built (through various iterations its stayed fairly constant).

So I am hoping to either get a big CG boost (was bought for $100k under asking price due to divorcee sale of the owners), or that the building will be bought to demolish as part of the station build. Either is fine with me :)

Hoping to either get a big CG boost (was bought for $100k under asking price due to divorcee sale of the owners), or that the building will be bought to demolish as part of the station build. Either is fine with me :)
I hope you are not planning for retirement for another 15 years or so.

Back