Calling all Subdividers

If it is fairly hard clay, a mechanical auger would do the trick. Post holes would be around 600mm deep. Mechanical hand driven augers are a great bit of kit. Just make sure you are using it properly, as if the auger hits a tree root or obstruction, it could give you a bit of a kick.:)
We've done enough postholes with a shovel on hard clay we just don't want to do anymore. The trick is to dig a shallow hole with a mattock, put in water, wait a day or two for it to soak right in, dig another few inches of hole, repeat process until you're down a foot, give up and make the post shorter. The soil is better at the new house (just planted a bunch of trees) but I'm scarred for life :mad:

The good thing about subdividing is in theory you know exactly where all the services are and can avoid them with heavy machinery. I've had this place replumbed completely (partly to move several taps and the septic tank from the other half of the block) so I know *exactly* where all the pipes are.

Our new block is about 640sqm, needs fencing on two sides (short side exists, shared with a rear neighbour, but is falling down) and fortunately we don't need to landscape it at all in this council. I've spent about $300 on landscaping on the old house (610sqm) - gravel (for paths), mulch and plants. Need to spend another $700 or so on a garden shed though. Garden edges are all recycled Stuff and I've grown a lot of plants myself from seed or cuttings. It actually looks pretty good :) New house is going to cost $104,000 plus whatever extras we choose and judging by recent sales here, will be worth about $300k when it is landscaped and generally finished off.

There are some full service builders

I've just signed with a builder in Mornington VIC, and after going solo through council and all, should be about 2 weeks from getting full title, i found this builder who has said they can do it all for us from the start, and they don't charge for drawings.

Going solo our 'learning costs' ie costs because we're new but wouldn't have coped if we went with this 'full service builder'

Extra $250 for trying again on energy rating (the initial people said i'd have to use timber window frames)
$3000 on drawings
$1000 on engineering drawings because the first one over engineered it.

So now we have a new energy rating that does get 5 stars with Alliminium windows theres a few grand, wouldn't have paid 3k for drawings at all, and because they're a builder they use drainers who know what they're doing.

While we've paid out and extra 4-5K due to late changes, we've saved
15K on the drainage
couple of K on timber windows
And they're letting me supply all the fixtures and fittings.

This builder is also a developer of their own projects. This is the key. So if you are looking for a builder of this type, first question is do they do their own development and subdivision work? Do they have inhouse drafting and estimating. In house estimating means they're on the ball with the latest costs as that is that persons job.

Hope this helps

I've just signed with a builder in Mornington VIC, and after going solo through council and all, should be about 2 weeks from getting full title, i found this builder who has said they can do it all for us from the start, and they don't charge for drawings.

Hope this helps

What are you saying Adam,

Are you paying more for someone to look after and manage the whole build.

Are they doing all fencing, turfing, landscaping.

I have found that the project builders (some of them) don't include letterboxes, clothes lines, etc, etc.

These could easily add another 20 - 30K

Good Luck

Cheers,

F

A small catch with subdivisions is we've just found out the bank is claiming the title for our subdivided lot, which is irritating as we wanted to have the option of taking the new loan out at another bank rather than our existing bank holding it as extra security for our other properties.

They now have our properties with a LVR of around 30% :confused:

What the heck do you have to do to get the bank to release you a title?

$600/m wow. Are there no tradies up that way? Maybe timber is expensive? I guess that is another thing to way up (as one poster said) if you want to do a reno on an old fibro shack......It might cost you an arm and a leg.

F

combination of factors... there are no trades and the fence has to comply with cyclonic standards. never heard of this either... the council is insisting on building licences for fences. what a scam. especially as i have to have that before they wil issue a build licence for the house, so the council scores a fee for the fence from every body, meaning double fees for the same fence. Sums up the whole greed of the place actually

The following was quoted to me by surveyor based on our drawings:

Water Corporation Headwork's. $7000
Bobcat $7000
Western Power Fee $1363
Electrician $1500
Plumber $2000
Surveying $6500
Gov fees and charges $3000
Fencing $2000
Titles $550

Alot of this is going to be specific to our particular job, e.g. fencing, clearing, demo etc. But its a great start to feasibility.

Back