Calling all Subdividers

Hi All,

I'm currently contemplating a subdivision and was wondering if anyone could provide a itemised costing of one that they have done recently or in the past.

I've got quotes for the feature survey and application to council and lodgement fees, as well as quotes for services (water and power), at a total of around 10k. So I'm mostly interested in site works.

There's no demolition required, its a rear block with a few sheds and retaining walls to be removed, the front house already has driveway and carport sorted, so it would just be clearing, colourbond fences and driveway.

Much appreciated. Thanks.
Gooram

Hi Gooram,

I would allow $15m2 for earthworks.

Removing sheds & retaining walls, I couldnt answer.

I was quoted $750-$850 for a feature / contour survey you?

So 5k each for power & water?

If you dont mind me asking, what type of title for the subdivision did you go with and why?

Chomp

I'd like to know too, council won't tell me how much a driveway will cost (they allow one per block but not sure if it is free or not) and we've only got one quote for a metal fence so far - $4000. Removal of sheds and other rubbish from renovating the old house will be the cost of skip hire as we're going to do it ourselves. Water cost $3500ish (fixed charge) and no idea what the power will cost yet, it had better be cheap for 6m of overhead wire. Septic will be $4000. Quote to remove a dozen trees came to $750 but the neighbour offered to do it for the firewood and we're probably going to have a go at the smaller ones ourselves.

It all adds up over and above the cost of the new house ...

RumpledElf, when you say they will only allow one driveway per block, does that mean they will not accept you having two? one on each side?

I allow 5k for a cross over, thats the entrance to the start of your driveway.

Chomp

Hi Gooram,

I would allow $15m2 for earthworks.

Removing sheds & retaining walls, I couldnt answer.

I was quoted $750-$850 for a feature / contour survey you?

So 5k each for power & water?

If you dont mind me asking, what type of title for the subdivision did you go with and why?

Chomp

yeah about 900 for the feature survey + GST Application fee is 3k including preparation by surveyor and submission to council.

I haven't decided on which type of title yet, but leaning towards survey-strata only because it means sewerage and water can be shared, which essentially makes it cheaper to the order of about 10k. If there's no common property then essentially it's the same as green title.

But talk to the feature surveyor, they will be the full bottle on the different zoning types and which is the best option for you.

Initial quote for water/sewage is about 1500, and power is about 5k, but each site is quoted seperately by the power company.

i am working my way thru one now. $1400 for electric, then i think i have to pay a sparkie to commect the house to the dome, $5k for water headworks, then the survey etc. do yu know if the fence has to be erected to get clearance? mine is a corner site and the block will be left vacant for a while so no real pressingneed for a fence. it's just that i have a survey strata block that i bought from someon else that has no fence and now the original owner is hitting me for half. and i am lookign at another starat block that is titles but has no fences.

RumpledElf, when you say they will only allow one driveway per block, does that mean they will not accept you having two? one on each side?

I allow 5k for a cross over, thats the entrance to the start of your driveway.

Chomp

I hope you get a few metres of driveway for that price as well as the cross over.

For us doing a 5m wide cross over the council charged $600, the 30m of driveway cost about $15k.

The other cross over was the FREE council one.

Cheers

was wondering if anyone could provide a itemised costing of one that they have done recently or in the past.
Can't give you an itemised one, not at home right now.

Roughly $15k, most of that is State Gov taxes and such, Bank grabs a bit, Surveyor didn't take much. We didn't have to do Water Meter $4k / Power / Sewer $1k per metre.

Big costs are sewers, water, electricity and all those STATE Gov charges for lodging plans, changing plans, etc.

Each state has different names/types of titles.

Land surveyor should be able to give you a written itemised quote.

Cheers
Graeme

The other cross over was the FREE council one.

Cheers

lucky you. best you can generally hope for here is a pitiful contribution IF the crossover is built to council spec. I have only ever had 1 council agree that my crossover was up to spec.

One free, our block was 29m wide but the driveway is on the far side away from the house and we won't be using it for either the new or old house. The system is set up to leave a driveway with the existing house and put one in for the new block but in this case its the existing house that will have no driveway, which confused the council works person no end. We also need a "traffic management device" (kerbed bit of very mediocre landscaping on the road) removed to get a driveway in. I've been in the queue to get this driveway since October last year so its a good thing I'm not in a hurry. I can see why all the new estates around here have low, sloped kerbs not high, vertical ones like the old roads do.

And FWIW, my second fence quote came in at $2300 (including delivery, excluding concrete and postholes) which beats the hell out of the last quote for $4100 (including concrete, excluding delivery and postholes) and even beats the third quote of $2400 (ex concrete, delivery AND holes). This is supply only of 60m of zincalume post and rail fence - all three existing fences on the property are this construction so doing the subdivision fence in anything else would look really dumb. But I can't put in the fence before I've got a driveway (I currently park in the middle of the new vacant block) or I will need to walk like 70m from my car to my house around the new fence! The old house will also be VERY hard to sell or rent with no offstreet parking (and no onstreet either with the "traffic management device" out front).

Now, what do 26 post holes cost? I've done enough manual posthole digging to last me a lifetime, I'm 7 months pregnant, I damn well want an auger on a truck to do them for me this time, or at very least a petrol driven post hole digger from Kennards :cool:

It's starting to look like there won't be much commonality between jobs here, but regardless, I'll endeavour to get some real life numbers and post when I can. In the mean time it would still be useful if anyone has numbers from a previous job.

Cheers

And FWIW, my second fence quote came in at $2300 (including delivery, excluding concrete and postholes) which beats the hell out of the last quote for $4100 (including concrete, excluding delivery and postholes) and even beats the third quote of $2400 (ex concrete, delivery AND holes). This is supply only of 60m of zincalume post and rail fence - all three existing fences on the property are this construction so doing the subdivision fence in anything else would look really dumb.

out of interest, the builder for a place i am doing in karratha has quoted me $34,000 to fence a cottage block. this is a 480sqm block! works out to over $600/m. and a further $20,000 to landscape it (a small square of lawn and a few bushes).

i know doing things yourself is not the path to riches but i am seriously considering loading up the a truck and drivign it up there myself.

Now, what do 26 post holes cost? I've done enough manual posthole digging to last me a lifetime, I'm 7 months pregnant, I damn well want an auger on a truck to do them for me this time, or at very least a petrol driven post hole digger from Kennards :cool:

ok i have never done it, is it hard to do?

By the way, does anyone know if I use funds from an offset account (offsetting PPOR) for subdivision expenses, is the additional interest on my PPOR considered an investment expense and therefore deductible?

ok i have never done it, is it hard to do?

Depending on the insitu material, a scissor shovel might take you a couple of hours at max, and can be bought at Bunnings for about $30 - $40. This will expend a little bit more elbow grease than a mechanical jobby though.

If it is fairly hard clay, a mechanical auger would do the trick. Post holes would be around 600mm deep. Mechanical hand driven augers are a great bit of kit. Just make sure you are using it properly, as if the auger hits a tree root or obstruction, it could give you a bit of a kick.:)

Just make sure if you are using mech augers (and shovels for that matter) that you fist make sure from your plans that there are no services underneath.

Cheers,

F

out of interest, the builder for a place i am doing in karratha has quoted me $34,000 to fence a cottage block. this is a 480sqm block! works out to over $600/m. and a further $20,000 to landscape it (a small square of lawn and a few bushes).

i know doing things yourself is not the path to riches but i am seriously considering loading up the a truck and drivign it up there myself.

Ouch Ausprop!

I would be thinking the same thing, and I am in SEQld.

I recently got a 'good neighbour' timber fence done in SEQld for about $60/m, and am in the process of getting quotes for a 'normal' timber paling fence for about $55/m.

$600/m wow. Are there no tradies up that way? Maybe timber is expensive? I guess that is another thing to way up (as one poster said) if you want to do a reno on an old fibro shack......It might cost you an arm and a leg.

F

Back