Calling cafe runners - business owners: Issue theft

G'day folk,

This post is on behalf of a friend who runs a cafe, she is having issues with staff taking money from the till, giving in correct change etc.
They have installed camera's on the till, but she mentioned the suspect person just turns and covers what the camera can see.
Any one got good advice/tips to prevent theft from employees and keeping them ethical.

This person works in the business 7 days a week and when she took a week off work the takings where considerably less. Example Fridays usually bringing in $3,000 but on the week she was off $1,200.

Any general and specific advice would be greatly appreciated. Any systems that you business owners have in place to minimise outgoings/loses would be great to hear.

Regards,

RH

Is the employee full-time? If not, sack them.

If they are, put them on notice that something's not right and if things don't improve they may get reduced hours (business can't support etc)...don't accuse of stealing unless you have concrete evidence...this provides an avenue to move them to casual and thus easier to dismiss...

Does your friend balance the register daily? If so, is there less in the til then the daily takings?

Install another camera?

Is it possible that this week was considerably quite? Coming from teh industry week to week can vary a lot...suspicious that it happened on the week off, but not inconceivable. You mentioned your friend had a week off, how were the other days??

Ensure that noone (other then your friend) can open the register without processing a sale...is the cafe on a fully computerised system or hand-made dockets?

Hi,

Restrict who handles money, put someone on the till to take all orders and payments.

Other staff do the serving and cleaning.

Worth a try.

If they are using Aloha POS, get the "Restaurant Guard" module.

(Disclaimer: The company I work for sells Aloha)

Last edited:
This person works in the business 7 days a week and when she took a week off work the takings where considerably less. Example Fridays usually bringing in $3,000 but on the week she was off $1,200.

Who was on holiday? The suspect employee or the boss, because on first look I though you meant the suspect employee and I was wondering why you would have less in the till without them, then I thought, no you mean the boss was away. :confused:

How about one of those surveillance type 'secret' cameras that looks like a toy/drink can/pen/toy animal etc...place it so it catches the angles the other camera doesn't.

I wouldn't hint to them that the business is losing money as that may tip them off & they may lay low for a week/month.

Friend's sister did this (very silly gal) & when she left work one night the managers were there with the police. They searched her pockets & she had about $700 on her taken from the till that night. I think they already had their suspicions...like you said the takings were much more when this person wasn't working.

issue with the 'hidden' surveillance is i actually think its illegal to rely on for the purposes of dismissing someone...i imagine the police couldn't have searched your friends sister without her consent...

my understanding is if there are cameras, the staff must be informed of how many and where...so while it can confirm...you still need something else...

i could be wrong?

True Joshyboi, I think she gave her consent. It was also still on the business premises...not sure if that makes a difference, like shoplifting clothes maybe? But she also said she knew where all the cameras were at her work & stole the money when she was giving people change from their bill. She thought she had it all worked out...very very silly & embarrassing & more.

I think she was just so gobsmacked she got caught & confronted, she did what they asked & emptied her pockets.

This post is on behalf of a friend who runs a cafe, she is having issues with staff taking money from the till, giving in correct change etc.
They have installed camera's on the till, but she mentioned the suspect person just turns and covers what the camera can see.

I don't know if my suggestion would work, but if she called all staff together, explained that she has her suspicions without naming anyone but that due to losses, the camera will be set up in such a position that a body cannot get in the way, and do just that. Also, that anybody caught will be handed to the police.

If someone is really stealing, and they know that the owner knows and has set up a camera to stop the body shielding that is happening, surely they would decide not to risk it.

I would also want a till that tells the staff how much change to give, so they don't have to work it out in their heads. So many people cannot do that simple maths now, and that would stop this type of mistake as well.

My daughter has worked in many different food establishments. If a till came up short, all employees on duty had the shortgage deducted from their pay.Of course this is Canada, and not even sure if the employers were legally permitted to do it...but it was done.

Note:
I just did a google..it is illegal.Usually it was $5.00 or so per employee when it did happen, and if they complained, they would have their work hours reduced.

Last edited:
A friend of mine worked for security at an international chain store. She travelled a lot, and one of her jobs was overseeing the installation of cameras directed at the tills, to catch theft by employees.
Not sure if the employees were notified or not, but it was done in a fashion, their body could not shield the transactions.

If the owner of this cafe is suspicious of a particular employee, maybe just let her go, or start reducing her hours so she will leave.

install more cameras over the till.

One from overhead, slightly angled towards the face of the staff member manning the till, one from each side again slightly angled to face the till operator, and one from behind.

A 4-channel DVR (digital video recorder) and camera kit is worth around $600 these days from somewhere like Jaycar or Dick Smith.... and they are easy to install.... That alone is less than the lost takings from that particular day.

issue with the 'hidden' surveillance is i actually think its illegal to rely on for the purposes of dismissing someone...i imagine the police couldn't have searched your friends sister without her consent...

my understanding is if there are cameras, the staff must be informed of how many and where...so while it can confirm...you still need something else...

i could be wrong?

Since they already have a visible camera they know surveilance is taking place - a hidden camera would then be covered by the you were aware you were under surveilance so nah nah nah policy.

What are the rules when it come to sacking employees?

As far as I know, any small business (less than 100 employees I thing) can sack a full time employee for any reason, no warnings required.
I don't believe there are any unfair dismissal rules for small business right now, could be wrong.
Simply, cutting back staff to reduce costs/hardship can be a reason.
Depending on how long they have been employed, maybe a weeks pay has to be paid to the employee.

G'day folk,

Any one got good advice/tips to prevent theft from employees and keeping them ethical.

Any general and specific advice would be greatly appreciated. Any systems that you business owners have in place to minimise outgoings/loses would be great to hear.

Regards,

RH

Here's a few management processes to consider;

Always be on duty with the offender, and make it a point that you will be on the register and they won't. They will immediately know you are onto them without you saying a word. They may leave as a result. One sure way to get rid of a dud is make work hell for them - but legally.

As above; call a staff meeting and explain that money has consistently gone missing, and every staff member is now under suspicion, pending further investigations. Again; the guilty party may resign for some obscure reason soon after. ;)

Anyone who is innocent will understand and be glad of the inquiry. Anyone who is offended; bad luck - it's your business and your livelihood.

I reckon the innocent already know who it is and are afraid to come forward.

1. Introduce a policy that all transactions must have an amount tendered on the register to calculate change. Failure to adhere to Company policy will result in written warnings per incident or whatever it is that you are allowed to do in this employee protected workplace world we now have to endure. :mad:

2. Use a till whereby all staff must use a specific code before using the register. Most registers have this function these days. Enforce the use of codes as company policy, with written warnings for non-compliance.

3. Make it that all meals and beverages are paid for at time of ordering, and make it policy that all customers must be given a receipt with an order number on it.

2. Calculate how many coffees from each container should be created (by weight), same with things like bread, eggs, bacon (slices per serve) and so on.

3. Do daily (or weekly) stocktakes on above items to monitor how much is sold. This is a pain in the @rse, but it puts staff on notice that you are onto it, and it will be very hard for anyone to keep touching the till.

4. Make all staff casuals, and explain why, (you can BS and say the business is going bad and you need to cut costs - sorry everyone. Some will cry about it, too bad again.

Then don't invite the offender back to work ever again. You can secretly cofer with the staff you want to retain and explain what is really going on. They will understand.

Now; let me qualify this statement by saying that I am a great believer in looking after good staff and keeping them on. I look after my staff and want them to stay with me forever, so I look after them. Spoilt pack of b@stards! :D

Obviously, you want to get rid of the thief and keep the good ones, but in this day and age of BS workplace regs and Union cr@p which favour loser staff, you need to get creative or you will go broke.

Thanks Unions - you pack of d/heads.

I saw a docco a few years ago about exactly this scenario with a guy who owned a sandwich bar. One chick touched him for nearly $200k. The guy was an idiot I reckon, but I did feel sorry for him at the same time. He went broke; lost everything including his wife and home. Bad luck about the house....... Just kidding girls!!

So, the time is calling for drastic action. Basically, you need some firm company and business procedures put in place to track your money.

What are the rules when it come to sacking employees?

As far as I know, any small business (less than 100 employees I thing) can sack a full time employee for any reason, no warnings required.
I don't believe there are any unfair dismissal rules for small business right now, could be wrong.
Simply, cutting back staff to reduce costs/hardship can be a reason.
Depending on how long they have been employed, maybe a weeks pay has to be paid to the employee.

No. Under 12 I think and must be under 12 months.

Get advice from shop association or such. If you sack and cannot prove you could have unfair dismissal, termination, workers comp claim due to stress. Even a claim that fails will cost you $2k in legal advice.

You need a resignation to the offender. You are unlikely to get any money back.

Peter

You have the wrong person get rid of them.
There's many perfectly legal ways of doing this.
Ethical people dont need to be "kept" ethical.

RH
Why is this happening?
Dont know why? Cant work it out?
The employer should sack themselves.

Back